Norwegian Cruise Line Raises Prices of Drink Packages

LauraS

I think most of us agree that $100/day for a drink package is absurd, especially compared to the counterpart drink packages offered by competitors. I mean, we're talking about double the base cost (not including gratuities) compared to similar drink packages offered by other mainline companies.

The big thing to consider is as of now, as long as free at sea remains in place, this is almost a purely academic discussion. With free at sea, our price goes from $17.80 to $19.80, which is still 1/3rd of the cost of other drink packages.

Exactly... even at $20 dollars a day, it saves me money at the end of the day...

Excellent excellent idea. For me a drink package that doesn't include water or premium coffee ain't worth much. I forget. If you pay the corkage fee, can you bring the bottle to the restaurants and is there a 20% service fee on the $15 ?

I see the advantages for NCL. Please tell me what are the advantages for the cruiser for more limited options in food and drink.

No gratuity fees on the corkage.

As most people don't pay for the Package only the gratuities on that package the extra cost that anyone will pay will be minimal at something like $2 per day. They may even put fares up by $10 per day too to compensate for the rise

The OP has a real downer on NCL and frequently posts negative comments or joins in negative conversations, he'll probably call me a flag waver or whatever it is that he calls people who quite like NCL. OK so you had a bad cruise, just go back to Royal or whoever. I would have been sorry about your bad cruise if you didn't keep wittering on about how poor NCL are, and so now I don't really give a crap. Love reading your stuff though. It makes me laugh.

Sorry, I don't get your math?

When I try to book without any promos, I never find a fare that is lower than what it is with the promos.

Also, the ridiculous gratuities on the package will run $20 per day per person. For moderate drinkers, just the cost of the gratuities is more than we would spend on alcohol.

Celebrity's promo that includes a beverage package doesn't include charging gratuities and the package includes bottled water, soda and more.

When I try to book without any promos, I never find a fare that is lower than what it is with the promos.

Also, the ridiculous gratuities on the package will run $20 per day per person. For moderate drinkers, just the cost of the gratuities is more than we would spend on alcohol.

Celebrity's promo that includes a beverage package doesn't include charging gratuities and the package includes bottled water, soda and more.

If the cost of gratuities is more than you would spend on alcohol then why get the package? The cost of the package is rising by $10 per day and the gratuities by $2 per day, most people do not purchase the package, they get it as a perk so the rise in costs to those people will only be $2 per day,

I presume you mean that you can't find a cabin with no promos PLUS the promos cheaper than a cabin with promos. All of which is wasted really as you don't drink more than $20 a day and therefore wouldn't purchase the UBP so the price rise wouldn't affect you anyway.

$20 per day is about 2 drinks depending on what you drink. If people aren’t going to drink that much I don’t see why the drink package would appeal to them.

I’m not saying I agree with how they do things, but to a moderate drinker it’s still a good value.

$20 per day is about 2 drinks depending on what you drink. If people aren’t going to drink that much I don’t see why the drink package would appeal to them.

I’m not saying I agree with how they do things, but to a moderate drinker it’s still a good value.

Exactly and to me and many others having 2 or 3 drinks a day while on vacation shouldn't even be considered "moderate".

To a non drinker Yes that seems a lot ( $20.00) a day , Heck if you enjoy a Bloody Mary, Mimosa, Or Bailey's and Coffee you're half way there at breakfast.

You're on vacation live a little , step outside the box, and maybe try a new drink. Don't like the drink, try something else it doesn't cost you anything with the Drink package.

adam_s_allen You and many others see the " big picture"

Really? $20 a day per person is two drinks or three beers per person... you can't manage that in a day? I don't think that would qualify you are a moderate drinker... I think that would be a very very light drinker.

Really? $20 a day per person is two drinks or three beers per person... you can't manage that in a day? I don't think that would qualify you are a moderate drinker... I think that would be a very very light drinker.

Cliff,

Dear Wife and I drink wine most of the time. At home, we might split a bottle of wine twice a week and when we don't have wine, I will normally have only one glass of brandy after dinner and DW will have perhaps two scotches and waters.

While on a cruise, we don't drink until around 5pm and can do quite will splitting a bottle of wine for the entire evening. Perhaps I will have a beer prior to dinner. Talk to your physician about what is a moderate drinker.

Cliff,

Dear Wife and I drink wine most of the time. At home, we might split a bottle of wine twice a week and when we don't have wine, I will normally have only one glass of brandy after dinner and DW will have perhaps two scotches and waters.

While on a cruise, we don't drink until around 5pm and can do quite will splitting a bottle of wine for the entire evening. Perhaps I will have a beer prior to dinner. Talk to your physician about what is a moderate drinker.

My family doctor says you have to live a little while on vacation. And HE knows my medical condition.

By your statements you are a very Light drinker, not moderate.

With that being the case the drink package with the gratuity ISN'T for you.

2-3 a day on vacation isn't necessarily going to harm anyone and will benefit those that have the package.

Really can't understand why people rant and rave over this. Some posters seem to have the attitude that NCL should pay them to cruise, simply it is a choice that you make. Cruise or not, drink or not, do what you like. If you have to pinch penny's to go on a cruise you probably shouldn't Go! Remember that cruise lines are a business not a charity!

Keep in mind... there are several "Free At Sea" offers, and the UBP is only ONE of them. Last I checked, no one is making you select this offer. You may find the others more suitable to your situation. Or ... perhaps none appeal and you don't have to choose anything.