My Time Dining Reservations

GigiK

We have booked a cruise on Harmony and this is our first time doing MTD. We prefer traditional seating, but that was unavailable by the time we booked. I have tried to book our first reservation, but am not sure. Can someone be kind enough to tell me if I did it correctly? The reason being is if I did, the process seems a little odd. I would hate to show up for the cruise thinking we had reservations when we really didn't! It did show up on the calendar, so I don't know.

In the Cruise Planner, I chose Dining, clicked My Time Dining (from a list of all the fee added restaurants), added our people, chose a date and time and *put it in the cart* and continued to Check Out by logging in. The message said no card number was required for included amenities (or something to that effect). Only did one until I could figure out if it was really a reservation.

Is this the correct procedure? It seems weird to me to put it in the cart and then 'pay" for the reservation. If it  isn't correct, then maybe we can't select times for reservations yet, but I also didn't see where to enter them. Anyway, if anyone can answer I would appreciate it! Both if I did it wrong and if so where do I look to enter them.

Thanks!

Also - Love Royal! We have cruised on Liberty, Radiance, and Navigator. Sun Princess twice many, many years ago when it was brand new!

Thank you! Ours says the same. And I went back and added more times. They are on the calendar, but at the top, not in the time slots. Going to give them a call when I have a little time to talk and wait on hold if needed.

Looking forward to our cruise - which we haven't done for years!

Yes, you are doing it correctly.  It's a pain to do each day individually, but that's the way it is now.  To confirm your reservation went through, check the your calendar, and the reservation will show up at the time you booked.  Do this after you book all days, so you give the system time to enter it into your calendar.

We do this for every cruise, because we want to go to the "with reservations" line at the dining room, and we want a table for two.  The line is usually shorter, and you can also book the same table when you find one you like.  They will save the table for you once it's unoccupied around your reserved time, but if the people sitting there aren't done, you can wait for it.  They will hold it for you for a reasonable length of time.  We're very flexible about our time in these situations, but usually get the table within 15 - 20 minutes.  We just go listen to music in the centrum for a while.

Edited by pcur

21 minutes ago, GigiK said:

Thank you! Ours says the same. And I went back and added more times. They are on the calendar, but at the top, not in the time slots. Going to give them a call when I have a little time to talk and wait on hold if needed.

The "at your leisure" is standard for that ship - if you look in the details of each day it will show the times - no need to call about that.

8 minutes ago, schmeed said:

Additional related question.  When do reservations open up in the cruise planner?  Is it 60 days?

We booked 2 days ago and it was at 92 days before our cruise.  I was able to start booking reservations immediately.

For OP and others, reservations may show up in the calendar as "at your leisure" on larger ships.  Correct times will be in your Order History at the top of the page.  Used to be able to make a whole cruise reservations at the same time with a "same time each night" button but can't do that any more.  You MUST check out your cart before doing the next one or you will just be changing the one you made.

For schmeed - on our cruises MTD reservations have opened up as early as a year before the cruise, but on Oasis and Quantum class it seems like around 90 days.  Other items are earlier or later.  Spa, specialty dining, internet and drinks seem to open even 18 months out, excursions maybe a year out.  Onboard activities and shows for Oasis and Quantum tend to open as late as 60 days.

Thank you for the information that there are two lines - one for reservations and one for "stand by".  I am assuming the reservations line moves a little faster. The show reservations are not open yet, but I found a couple of show times lists online for Harmony from a similar itinerary (in reverse) having  the same "Days" for shows with a time variance of 15-30 minutes, so I'm predicting a little bit.

Really looking forward to being on one of the new big ships, but I will admit it was easier when you just went to dinner and then the show!

19 hours ago, GigiK said:

I am assuming the reservations line moves a little faster. 

Really looking forward to being on one of the new big ships, but I will admit it was easier when you just went to dinner and then the show!

Not really, but it is usually shorter.

You can still make it as simple as you want - just ignore all the other options.

We are about 96 days out.  I cant figure out how to do the MTD.  I was able make the reservations for our shows.  How do we know if we are scheduled for early or late dining.  If we just show up for MTD around 5 or so, is there typically a very long wait? Thanks for your help.  I have gotten so much info and tips from this site.

10 minutes ago, abbiep said:

I cant figure out how to do the MTD.   How do we know if we are scheduled for early or late dining. 

The ability to make MTD reservation are available under the dining options (won't show if you have traditional) - usually at the bottom of the page (past all the paid options). Your booking invoice should show which dining plan you have.

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The ability to make MTD reservation are available under the dining options (won't show if you have traditional) - usually at the bottom of the page (past all the paid options). Your booking invoice should show which dining plan you have.

Thank you I will check this out.

On 10/21/2018 at 11:52 PM, GigiK said:

We have booked a cruise on Harmony and this is our first time doing MTD. We prefer traditional seating, but that was unavailable by the time we booked. I have tried to book our first reservation, but am not sure. Can someone be kind enough to tell me if I did it correctly? The reason being is if I did, the process seems a little odd. I would hate to show up for the cruise thinking we had reservations when we really didn't! It did show up on the calendar, so I don't know.

In the Cruise Planner, I chose Dining, clicked My Time Dining (from a list of all the fee added restaurants), added our people, chose a date and time and *put it in the cart* and continued to Check Out by logging in. The message said no card number was required for included amenities (or something to that effect). Only did one until I could figure out if it was really a reservation.

Is this the correct procedure? It seems weird to me to put it in the cart and then 'pay" for the reservation. If it  isn't correct, then maybe we can't select times for reservations yet, but I also didn't see where to enter them. Anyway, if anyone can answer I would appreciate it! Both if I did it wrong and if so where do I look to enter them.

You seem to be doing it correctly. I don't understand why the times one schedules  for "my time dining" don't appear on "my calendar". I did notice, however, if you click on the menu thingy on the left at the top of the page, and choose "order history", you will see your selected dining times. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by BillNY

3 minutes ago, schmeed said:

Wow!!  A year out??

Yeah. I just checked my emails to make sure. I booked them on 11/15/17 for an 11/11/18 cruise. I don't know why it was so early this time. Gotta love the consistency. LOL

Edited by dcgrumpy
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the post, I had the same question.  One thing I noticed however, from 5:45 to 7:30 is not available.  In other words, if you want to make a reservation at our preferred time, around 6:30, you cannot.

Will this change as we get closer to departure?  I assume you can just show up between these times and try to get a table.

9 minutes ago, robptaylor said:

Thank you for the post, I had the same question.  One thing I noticed however, from 5:45 to 7:30 is not available.  In other words, if you want to make a reservation at our preferred time, around 6:30, you cannot.

Will this change as we get closer to departure?  I assume you can just show up between these times and try to get a table.

Most likely, the ability to make a pre-cruise reservation during the most desired times will not change before the cruise.  Once onboard you can try to make reservations, or just show uo when you like.

4 hours ago, robptaylor said:

I would suggest making reservations for the available time closest to your desired time. They seem to be more willing to change the time of a reservation than to help you without one. 

Thanks for everyone's advice.  I went ahead and booked at 7:30, 5:45 is just too early for us.  I hate feeling rushed coming back from port.  I hope this time doesn't conflict too much with shows and other evening activities but as suggested, we can always change when we are on board.

Does anyone knows what happens if you have a reservation but show up early?  For example, if we have the 7:30 reservation but at the last minute decide to see an 8:00 show and go to the dining room at 6:30?  I assume I would just wait in line with the "standby" diners but I wasn't sure that would be an option since I already have a reservation for later that night.