Corkage fee

piggiepuff

On 10/23/2018 at 7:11 AM, piggiepuff said:

It says that you can bring two bottles of wine on board but that NCL charges a corkage fee of $15 a bottle.  Do they actually charge this? I haven't been charged on the other lines, even though their official rules say there is a charge.  This is my first time on NCL, so I wanted to check. Thanks!

yes, they do. Some lines are not allowing any wine to be brought on. NCL will add the $15  to your ship board account as soon as you go through the check in. 

4 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

This is something which seems to differ from ship to ship. Unfortunately, in typical NCL style, there is no way that you can tell in advance whether it will be allowed or not, but they certainly do let you pay the corkage at ports of call sometimes.

There are many rules you can say that about. If you want to be certain about what is allowed, you look up the line's rules. You can gamble on lax enforcement if you want, but you at least should be sure that you know you are gambling.

33 minutes ago, fshagan said:

There are many rules you can say that about. If you want to be certain about what is allowed, you look up the line's rules. You can gamble on lax enforcement if you want, but you at least should be sure that you know you are gambling.

Well, yes, clearly. That's why I said that there us no way you can tell in advance.

Just to be totally clear, I am not suggesting that anybody rely in this information. I was merely responding to your suggestion that the table may have been set up specifically to put bottles into storage. That may be the case, but in my experience (and based on other postings on this board), it is also very possible that they would let people pay corkage there.

9 hours ago, fshagan said:

Disney is the only line that officially allows this. NCL rules state that any bottles of wine or alcohol brought on board in ports has to be declared and is stored until the final evening, and you aren't allowed to consume it during the cruise. Perhaps the alcohol table was the table where you declared it and had it stored for you until the end of the cruise.

We bought wine on at two ports - stopped at the table, paid our $15 per bottle fee, they put stickers on the bottles, we took them to our cabin.  Knowing how things change, we did ask before getting off the ship.