transportation from Heathrow to London center

denims

If you can handle your bags, you should take the Piccadilly line of the Underground - about £4 , much less than Heathrow Express, and it takes you pretty much through the center of London, giving you an easy trip to a lot of hotels.  We take it to Gloucester Road - a two minute walk to the many hotels along Cromwell Road.

Apart from the Underground, there is also the HEX train to Paddington (cheap if booked in advance) or a frequent coach service by National Express to Victoria.

There are dozens, possibly hundreds of private-hire taxi firms who will quote you for the journey. Pre-booking is advised as taking a licensed cab from the rank at Heathrow is by far the most expensive option.

You can also check out the National Expresswhich is the British bus system. You can purchase tickets to take the coach from Heathrow into London, Victoria Station. Tickets are sold in the airport, online and at the kiosk outside. Think i bought mine outside at the kiosk then walked up up to the where the coach was, they put my bags underneath and I had a comfy ride into the city.

The Paddington Express is a great option but it’s not always easy with luggage so unless you travel quite light, think of booking one of the private cars recommended widely on this board or take the National Express. Uber has been greatly restricted in London so I’m not quite sure how well that’s going now...probably ok but I’d choose another option. Luckily, there are several! 

😊

18 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

Uber has been greatly restricted in London so I’m not quite sure how well that’s going now...probably ok but I’d choose another option. 

I don’t wish to be rude, but that is just not true. 

Uber has being going through licensing and regulatory issues in London, but it’s services continued to operate as always. 

All of the suggestions already posted are good- underground, bus, car service, taxi. There is a taxi app called Gett that I found useful in London. It allows you to book a taxi and pay through the app, similar to Uber but for a black cab.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2018 at 12:30 PM, Cotswold Eagle said:

I don’t wish to be rude, but that is just not true. 

Uber has being going through licensing and regulatory issues in London, but it’s services continued to operate as always. 

Similar situations here in NYC, creating quite a situation - licensing, regulatory and beyond. Uber operates here to along with other services like Via but many of us locals, would (if we weren’t using the subway) get in a yellow taxi because they ARE suitably licensed and regulated. Moreover, in NYC, the number of license the city is granting to operate an Uber going forward is being restricted annually. Hence the the rationale for my suggestion. 

I have ave used twice London black taxis (maybe three times?) always wonderful and the tube. I know the vast and extensive training cabbies undertake to obtain their licences and that, I think, they are required to know virtually almost every street, district, neighbourhood in London? Well, how could one go wrong with such a qualified driver. Costs a bit extra but for me, I honestly and truly needed the help when I availed myself so the treat was worth it. 

My my goal is always to offer helpful advice or suggestions based on experience or current information although that information can change in an instant these days, I’ll do a double check if time or season is involved before posting. I had no intention of bias against Uber and certainly never against London with regard to how I mentioned the two in my previous post. I only meant to state that like here in NYC, the municipality and the company were at odds as to the size and scope of operating in the city. My words were too vague but were unintentional in this way. London remains one of my favorite places in the world and Uber is one of the worlds favorite transportation solutions. There you have it. 

What made the London black cabs the best went beyond their expert navigation, and a big part of my London love: KINDNESS.

Obviously they meet so many people each day, busy business folk, maybe stressed MPs, LOTS of tourists but through it all they remain cheerful and kind. We are all just doing our best 🙂 

Glad it worked out so well for you with Gett! I forgot all about them, and so you got to use and support the black cabbies and have a real sort of London experience too. Excellent!!