Genoa or Portofino

nautica34

Have a port stop in Genoa in mid November.  Debating between taking a scenic boat ride in Genoa as well as seeing the area or going to Portofino. Aware ferries will not be running during that time so will need to take a train. Hoping to get some insight on which to do. Thanks.

I was talking with a friend yesterday whose family are in Santa Margherita which is near Portofino. That area got hit badly by the big storm about two days ago. He showed me photos from news reports showing the roads out of Portofino with really terrible damage. This damage will take quite awhile to repair. I am not sure how this impacts the train service. You might need to google to see how this affects your plans or check with locals on the Portofino/Genoa Trip Advisor Forum.

Julie

the road to portofino is closed and afraid will take months to reopen 

presently the coast guard is assuring some emergency connection by sea

they are planning some mergency trails via the montain by feel it will not be suitable for tourist so afraid but arnd 15th november it will still be impossible to visit portofino

santa margherita and rapallo have also been seriously affectedd( especially the marinas) but the railways system is now back to normal so they can be reached

Genoa also has a Hop-On/Hop-Off bus which I used to see the sites and I got off at a few stops to see a bit more of the city, including site where Christopher Columbus was born.  Also just down the street from the ship terminal is a gelateria (turn to the left when you get out to the street--it's across the street).  Yum!

Edited by BarbinMich

Portofino is also a summer destination and it is pretty slow after the season.  So, between no access and nothing to do, it is not an option for you.  Consider your other options around Genoa.

Edited by marazul