LIVE from ROME! November 1-5, 2018

DragonOfTheSeas

1493247692_Romanforumareamapricksteves.thumb.png.97c397048d4f6604a67e082df28c8576.pngOK--that gives me a little more information. 

This is a map of the ancient area around the Colosseum.  {it comes from my Rick Steve's Rome 2018 book--but, it available online, too]You can see there are many places to see in a small area.  All of this is walkable.  However, there are hills and steps.  This map makes it look flat--but, it is not. You did not say if you have any mobility issues. 

This is the location for the most history.  You could spend your whole day in this area and taxi back to Termini to catch your train back to the ship. 

Note the church called St Peter in Chains.[It has chains used to restrain St Peter]  I wanted to visit, but my travel friends did not want to walk the distance or steps after visiting the Colosseum/forum area.  You could light a candle here and maybe leave your card/rosary. [After visiting the Vatican I can not remember anywhere there you could do this--lots of security] 

If I were having a 1 day visit my itinerary would be:

Ship [bus or taxi] to Civitavecchia train ststion to Termini train station. Taxi to Palantine Hill entrance.  Walk direct path to Forum observing some of the Palantine Hill on the way.  Quick spin around the forum and exit to Colosseum. Get in line for Colosseum security 30 minutes before ticket time. Yes--there is a security line even if you have a timed ticket.  It moves quickly. I would do a DIY audio or audio video tour. That way you can go at your own pace.  

Next I would taxi to Piazza della Rotonda.  I would need a small rest at this pint.  Have a meal at one of the outdoor cafes.  We liked the one that is directly across from the Pantheon. Sorry, I do not remember the name.  This would take 45 minutes to an hour, but give you a flavor of being in Rome.  If you want a quick bit try the Antica Salumeria for a pork sandwich to go. 

Then get in line to visit the Pantheon. [free] If there is a line don't worry.  It moves very quickly.  

Next, I would visit the Santa Maria Sopra Minerva Church 1/2 block from the Pantheon.  You should be able to leave your card/rosary there. 

[sorry I tried to add something here and it would not load. ignore the box] 

I actually visited this church 3 times.  They were getting ready to have a church service one of those times.  You could enter the building, but not visit the side chapels or alter.  I spoke with  a priest while there.  He was very informative and welcoming.  I feel this would be a place they would understand your remembrance of your mother.  As you walk back to the Pantheon buy a gelato.  You can not leave Rome without one.  

Next check your time.  Walk the 3 blocks to Piazza Navon.  I was told it is the most beautiful in Rome.  I believe it.  It is a large oval with several fountains.  You may need to  taxi back to the Termini train station at this point.  If not taxi to the Trevi Fountain or anything that is still on your short list.  You will be exhausted when you return to the ship.  but, you will have seen a great deal.

Have a good trip. 

9 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Ship [bus or taxi] to Civitavecchia train ststion to Termini train station. Taxi to Palantine Hill entrance.  

I would not waste time going to Termini, get off the train at Ostiense and take the metro one stop to Circo Massimo and walk one third of a mile (about five minutes) from there to the Palatine entrance.  Trains have to slow to a crawl to get into the station at Termini, and then it's a three block walk from the Lazio regional track head to the main part of the station where you'd get the metro or a taxi (this is actually a longer distance than from the Circo Massimo metro to Palatine).  It's a real time-eater.

Just now, euro cruiser said:

I would not waste time going to Termini, get off the train at Ostiense and take the metro one stop to Circo Massimo and walk one third of a mile (about five minutes) from there to the Palatine entrance.  Trains have to slow to a crawl to get into the station at Termini, and then it's a three block walk from the Lazio regional track head to the main part of the station where you'd get the metro or a taxi (this is actually a longer distance than from the Circo Massimo metro to Palatine).  It's a real time-eater.

Thanks for mentioning this.  . .  I agree anything that saves time is important to Erby. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, nicecruiser said:

Please let me know what site do you use to book Vatican Museum and St Peter’s Basilica 3 hr tour with guide.

]

Vatican Museum    https://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do

Go to the Rome forum of tripadvisor.com and look under Top Questions.  There you will find info on booking sites in advance.

1 hour ago, nicecruiser said:

Happy New Year!!! 

What a wonderful review!!! Thank you very much for taking us along.

Please let me know what site do you use to book Vatican Museum and St Peter’s Basilica 3 hr tour with guide.

Thanks again,

Irina

Irina:  Have a great visit!. . .  Agnes

•  
  • DragonOfTheSeas
  • October 23, 2010
  •  
  • 8,115 posts
  • virginia
Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Thank you for your lovely report and pictures!

I'm so happy to hear the golf cart tour was so positive.  We have two different golf cart tours booked with My Best Tour in June, and I am *really* happy that your experience matched up with their very positive reviews!

21 hours ago, Disneyfriend said:

Thank you for your lovely report and pictures!

I'm so happy to hear the golf cart tour was so positive.  We have two different golf cart tours booked with My Best Tour in June, and I am *really* happy that your experience matched up with their very positive reviews!

Yes, we were very pleased.  We were able to see so much more with that tour.  .. . and it was our final day.  We were glad to not do as much walking.  

Have a great trip. 🙂

• Like 1