Why can't my family buy gift cards? Which browser is best?

mef_57

I am leaving shortly on a cruise and thought to ask for an early Christmas present. Kids would like to know I was spoiling myself on this cruise albeit November instead of December.  However, my daughter said she was having trouble completing the transaction and it would say 'this page has sailed'. I just checked it out and Internet Explorer states this. She says Google Chrome does the same.  Firefox is a little better, but not all icons fill well so hard to find the shopping cart.

Is this a frequent problem?

I did give her the phone number so she could phone to add cards, but I am curious whether others have had the same problem?

2 hours ago, NurseJEB said:

If you are that close to sailing do NOT get gift cards just have them buy you OBC.  The gift cards will NOT arrive in time for your cruise.

Thanks for noting what wasn't obvious. I assumed the 'gift card' would arrive as an OBC. I'll let them know.

4 hours ago, xcell said:

Depending on how many are buying OBC -- I think there is a limit.

There is a limit of $1000/cabin in OBC credit purchases...  Just have your kids purchase you OBC.  You could give them your My NCL log in info and they can go into your account and purchase it that way.  Be sure to keep the confirmation receipt as well and take it on board with you just in case the OBC certificate is not in your cabin upon embarkation.

10 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

There is a limit of $1000/cabin in OBC credit purchases...  Just have your kids purchase you OBC.  You could give them your My NCL log in info and they can go into your account and purchase it that way.  Be sure to keep the confirmation receipt as well and take it on board with you just in case the OBC certificate is not in your cabin upon embarkation.

My kids aren't that rich and I am not that kind of spender 😉  However, the website just isn't cooperating regardless of browser.  They did try OBC , and even tested other options, and just couldn't get through to the paying window.  I tried it afterwards and had the same problem from my account - though I was able to reserve dinner last week. 

I am assuming if they phone to add it, it will show up on my account somewhere and will print, as you recommend.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

My kids aren't that rich and I am not that kind of spender 😉  However, the website just isn't cooperating regardless of browser.  They did try OBC , and even tested other options, and just couldn't get through to the paying window.  I tried it afterwards and had the same problem from my account - though I was able to reserve dinner last week. 

I am assuming if they phone to add it, it will show up on my account somewhere and will print, as you recommend.

Thanks.

They should be able to phone as well and do it that way.  They will need your reservation number and the names of all guest in the room in order to "act" like you're the one calling most likely.  Are you booked directly through NCL?  If you're booked through a travel agent, they may have to call the TA instead.  NCL usually will not talk to you directly if you are booked through a third party.

35 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

They should be able to phone as well and do it that way.  They will need your reservation number and the names of all guest in the room in order to "act" like you're the one calling most likely.  Are you booked directly through NCL?  If you're booked through a travel agent, they may have to call the TA instead.  NCL usually will not talk to you directly if you are booked through a third party.

guess I better be talking to my TA....Doesn't help that my kids are 'last minute' types. 

Thanks for the added info.

Would you consider asking them for cash? This way you could also use it in port if you saw something you wanted. You could make a list of your purchases as you spend it and report on Christmas Day what they gave you. I think they'd be happy to see how happy you are (It would be like opening your gifts in front of them) Remember Cash is King!

57 minutes ago, NotLikeBelleRosen,IHope said:

Would you consider asking them for cash? This way you could also use it in port if you saw something you wanted. You could make a list of your purchases as you spend it and report on Christmas Day what they gave you. I think they'd be happy to see how happy you are (It would be like opening your gifts in front of them) Remember Cash is King!

Well, in the new North American generation cash is pretty non existent - and they are not going to want to go find me US$.

I did speak to my travel agent, and she said to give them her details if they run into problems.