Mile 0

mef38

It's easy to get to the mile marker 0 sign. Walk up Whitehead Street to the corner of Fleming. The sign is a small green mile marker, and usually has a couple people taking pictures of themselves next to it.

Is it worth it? Well, it's a bit underwhelming and not set up as an attraction, but many seem delighted to be photographed with it. Either way, it's just a block off of Duval Street and so isn't a big investment of time.

In addition to going to the Mile Marker 0 post to pose for photos, you can buy many, many tourist souvenier items and T-shirts with the Mile Marker 0 sign on them, such as T-shirts, key chains, post cards, etc.

Another popular place for pictures is the Southernmost Point marker. Even more folks pose for photos there. It too is featured in numerous different tourist souveniers.

• 3 weeks later...

We traveled last year and ported in Key West for the first time so we were not at all familar with the area. This time I would like to see the southern most point land marker. What is the best way to get there and how long will it take? We port at 7:00 a.m. and leave at 3:00...Is this do able? I know some people on our last cruise made it sound like the land mark was quite far from were the cruise ship docks.

Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Thanks, I enjoyed reading this thread and especially the PICS. Hubby and I will be spending four days prior to our Freedom of the Seas cruise in Oct in the Keys.....we haven't done anything but buy airfare yet...still in the planning stages.

I KNOW he will want to take pics at both those sites...he's SUCH a tourist .

Laura

Laura - Of course you'll check out Margaritaville (J. Buffett) but whatever you do, DO NOT eat the food. It's got to be the very worst in Key West. Take away the name and no one would ever eat there again.

Showmom - My family was through key West last week on Celebration. The family had advance tix for the trolley tour. So until DW and DD were awake and off the ship, my son and I got an early start and walked to the Southernmost monument from Mallory Square. It only took about 25 minutes. Our plan was to go there first and then head back towards the ship catching other sites (Mile 0, etc.) on the way. But we kind of got off track. We went back via the cemetery and the Western Union flagship. We still saw the other sites from the trolley ride, but we chose not to get off and explore deeper.

Thanks, I enjoyed reading this thread and especially the PICS. Hubby and I will be spending four days prior to our Freedom of the Seas cruise in Oct in the Keys.....we haven't done anything but buy airfare yet...still in the planning stages.

I KNOW he will want to take pics at both those sites...he's SUCH a tourist <G>.

Laura

Laura, a great way to see the island is by bike or moped. My husband and I rent a two seater moped everytime we go. He's the driver, and I take pictures from the back. :) I also have a picture of the Mile Marker 0 sign, but only because we rode past it. I doubt we would have intentionally gone looking for it.

• 2 years later...

Archived