Possible Hurricane hitting NYC in near future?

cruiser-dude

Yes- anything is POSSIBLE- However, considering the "long term" weather forecast for the Northeast this winter called for much colder, and much more snow than normal- Sitting here in NY in a week that included a couple of 60 degree days, and it is mid January- I'm not sure I'm going to stay up nights wondering if a hurricane hitting NY is going to disrupt my cruise- This is a cruise board, right?

As long as there isn't a rogue hurricane in the Caribbean during the 1st 2 weeks of February, I don't care....

20-30 years ago, they were predicting NYC would be destroyed by an earthquake..........

I thought this was the "I'm-too-lazy-to-go-to-the-cruiseline's-website-and/or-to-read-previous-posts" board.

TWIMC:

I posted this just because I thought it was interesting. After posted, I wanted to edit the title a little and couldn't.

Not trying to concern anyone - just to share an interesting, well done piece.

There will be a TV special airing tomorrow (Sun 15th).

And - I inadvertantly posted this on the NCL page. Ceclia may need to move or poof it. I just think it's interesting trivia... Especially after this last year's hurricane season...

Have a nice weekend, all. :cool:

While remotely possible, it is highly unlikely that a hurricane could go as far north as New York as a Category 5. The water is just not warm enough.

If you want to worry about improbable possibilities, it has pointed out that if a huge volcano in the Canary Islands slid into the ocean, it would create a huge tsunami that could swamp the entire east coast of the U.S.

If you want to worry about improbable possibilities, it has pointed out that if a huge volcano in the Canary Islands slid into the ocean, it would create a huge tsunami that could swamp the entire east coast of the U.S.

ha I saw that exact documentary..... I don't buy it for one second....:rolleyes:

TWIMC:

I posted this just because I thought it was interesting. After posted, I wanted to edit the title a little and couldn't.

Not trying to concern anyone - just to share an interesting, well done piece.

There will be a TV special airing tomorrow (Sun 15th).

And - I inadvertantly posted this on the NCL page. Ceclia may need to move or poof it. I just think it's interesting trivia... Especially after this last year's hurricane season...

Have a nice weekend, all. :cool:

Thanks for the link; interesting. Don't worry, I won't bash you for sharing interesting info. I myself didn't know either that posts of that type are not welcomed ;)

No - we are out of hurricane season right now. But the information is really interesting and could be a real impact down the road. This is an information board, right?

hello - there was a strong, named tropical storm (Z in the greek alphabet) in the north atlantic this year. that's right, THIS year - the hurricane "season", as determined by us, humans, was still active. instead of watching the ball drop on NYE you could've been watching the tropical update on the weather channel and seen this storm mid-way though it's well out to sea and several day lifespan.

the Big Question is this: now that we've gone all the way through the Greek alphabet in this most active of active hurricane seasons, if there is another storm, is NOAA going to go through with it's mid-season promise of using Star Wars names for any remaining storms.

I am a meteorologist. I am stunned by what I saw on that promo. It is full of hyperbole and half truths.

The benchmark used is the New England Hurricane of '38. That's the correct analogy for a storm to affect the Northeast. It has to be fast moving to maintain strength because of the colder water north of Cape Hatteras.

However, in the Hurricane of '38, the strongest winds were well east... 100 miles or more east... of the storm's center!

The storm's eye struck Central Long Island and Fairfield County, Connecticut, but the major damage was on Far Eastern Long Island and Far Eastern Connecticut into Rhode Island. There was relatively little damage in NYC. Certainly none of the flooding or devastation shown in this promo - and the Hurricane of '38 was very powerful.

It is possible for NYC to be affected, but it is a an unlikely place to feel the major brunt of a hurricane.

Hurricanes that far north almost always have the majority of their strength east of the center. And, there is no water path to bring a storm west of NYC while maintaining strength.

New London or Providence are much more susceptible, but less sexy.

Finally, to the person who mentioned the long range forecast for the Northeast. As far as I've seen, every one of NOAA's 05/06 winter forecasts called for no bias toward warm or cold, wet or dry for the Northeastern US. In other words, normal.

------

I'm not sure if it's OK to post this here, but I have compiled an overly long and very detailed trip report of our just ended cruise on the Norwegian Star. My wife, daughter and I had a great time.

hello - there was a strong, named tropical storm (Z in the greek alphabet) in the north atlantic this year. that's right, THIS year - the hurricane "season", as determined by us, humans, was still active. instead of watching the ball drop on NYE you could've been watching the tropical update on the weather channel and seen this storm mid-way though it's well out to sea and several day lifespan.

the Big Question is this: now that we've gone all the way through the Greek alphabet in this most active of active hurricane seasons, if there is another storm, is NOAA going to go through with it's mid-season promise of using Star Wars names for any remaining storms.

Zeta is not the last letter of the Greek alphabet, Omega is. There are still over a dozen letters left to go through :eek:

IF....

Not gonna start living my life worrying about the great tsunami caused by the Canaries, or the opposite when Bermuda falls off its rooftop volcano.

But I will say after "living" through hurricane Gloria in the 80's, living on the south shore of Long Island, I grew an appreciation for what others go through during REAL hurricanes. :eek:

IF....

Not gonna start living my life worrying about the great tsunami caused by the Canaries, or the opposite when Bermuda falls off its rooftop volcano.

But I will say after "living" through hurricane Gloria in the 80's, living on the south shore of Long Island, I grew an appreciation for what others go through during REAL hurricanes. :eek:

People on the South shore of Long Island have a lot to worry about if we get a repeat of the 1938 hurricane. A major insurance company has just announced that they will write no more new homeowner's policies on Long Island. Their future decisions are obviously based on risk analysis

<snip>

I am a meteorologist. I am stunned by what I saw on that promo. It is full of hyperbole and half truths.

Finally, to the person who mentioned the long range forecast for the Northeast. As far as I've seen, every one of NOAA's 05/06 winter forecasts called for no bias toward warm or cold, wet or dry for the Northeastern US. In other words, normal. <snip>

Hi- Glad you enjoyed your cruise-

As to the first point, I don't have any "special" background, but, my gut tells me once the "promo machine" gets going with planted articles in the newspapers, articles on the computer, etc all leading up to the well touted " TV special" watch out! Hyped info is coming- The same folks who are glued to their sets nightly to the "tabloid tv" coverage of the passenger disappearance off the cruise ship in Turkey will enjoy it. - By the way, the lead article on this site "Under the Captains Table" addresses that situation, and does a great job.

Secondly, I posted the original info about the "colder than normal" forecast in the NE- Again, I got that info from TV- and from what you posted, I now deduce that probably all the cable channels use "hired guns" weather folks who are willing to "go out on a limb" to prove a point. Most of that speculation I saw was on the "financial channels" in conjunction with speculation of oil pricing- dire predictions of a abnormally cold winter probably drove up the pricing. Thanks for your info- Personally, for me, especially when planning vacations- I'm going to look on the bright side and see the glass as being half full.. To each their own.

AFAIK, the 2005 hurricane season officially ended with the downgrading of Zeta to a tropical depression. Since Zeta formed in 2005, it was still within the domain of the 2005 storm season.

In the unlikely event of tropical storm formation before June 1, 2006, the named storms will begin with the 2006 designated storm names.

Archived