Westerdam balcony cabins - refurbished?

grayjay

I tried the search function first but couldn't find the answers . We are considering a cruise on the Westerdam. I have read that the Signature Suites have been refurbished and are very nice but I wonder if we could get by and save a bit and just book a regular balcony cabin, considering cat. VC or VB.

So if anyone who has recently cruised on Westerdam could help in answering my questions I'd send back a heartfelt "thank you"!

Have the regular balcony cabins been modernized  in regard to furniture and beds, balcony furniture, TV, outlets, bathrooms? I have to look more closely at the deck plans, but are there any staterooms in those categories with just a shower? ( I have difficulties regarding a tub).

Aft cabins mostly are sold out, only two or three on deck 8 are left which might have a noise problem?

Thank you for your help.

We just got back from an Asian cruise on the Westerdam. The cabin had definitely been refurbed with newer furniture, a nicer, bigger flatscreen mounted in front of the bed, newer counter tops and tub/shower combo in the bathroom with a better shower head. The deck chairs were in good shape, pretty much the same everyone has. 

The one negative was that the carpet was old and worn. The outlets were not new. I believe the refurb occurred a few years ago.

All told, the cabin was cozy and nice and we really enjoyed it.

18 minutes ago, grayjay said:

I have to look more closely at the deck plans, but are there any staterooms in those categories with just a shower?

Yes, they are marked on the deck plans with an asterisk:  4166/70/72/73/75/77, 5171/74/75/76/78/79.  There's also 10 VD at the aft of deck 6 that are shower only, 6148 to 6171

Thank you for your answers!

About the staterooms with shower only: Are they smaller than the ones with a tub? And do they have a shower curtain - eek...

Signature suites have both shower and tub next to each other, right?

It might help to decide even if a hefty surcharge on SY/SS categories still points us towards the regular balcony staterooms, especially on a port-intensive cruise. Oh, decisions, decisions....

So any more cabin reviews of those who have recently sailed on Westerdam are very welcome. Thank you.

1 hour ago, grayjay said:

About the staterooms with shower only: Are they smaller than the ones with a tub? And do they have a shower curtain - eek...

It might help to decide even if a hefty surcharge on SY/SS categories still points us towards the regular balcony staterooms, especially on a port-intensive cruise. Oh, decisions, decisions....

So any more cabin reviews of those who have recently sailed on Westerdam are very welcome. Thank you.

We recently sailed on the Westerdam's sister ship Zuiderdam in a Signature Suite, and yes -- there's a tub/shower combo as well as a stand alone shower next to the tub.  It's a narrow shower, but certainly usable if you don't want to use the shower in the tub.  It does have a curtain; eek as you say.   The bathroom (refitted during the most recent dry dock, as was the entire cabin) was really beautiful, and we were spoiled by the double sinks. 

Enjoy whatever you decide!

4 hours ago, grayjay said:

Here is a link to my April 2018 SS 6069 stateroom on the Westerdam after drydock (really liked the LED nightlight in the bathroom ceiling):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-westerdam-2/ms-westerdam-on-board-images/nggallery/page/6 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1