Shocking 60% of guests removed gratuities on NV Transatlantic

When reviewing any system of compensation you have to consider everything in totality.  Cost of living, availability of health care, taxation, cultural norms, education opportunities/subsidies and so on.    It's easy to declare a different system 'shamefull' when you don't take in the totality of it all.  

An American company with an HQ in America with most of it's customers being American is going to structure it's approach based on American norms. 

Unlike some other cruise lines that either have separate corporate entities and brands for European/Regional operations, or that require that any one booking a cruise in that region book through a different platform (such as Carnival Australia), Royal is a global operation operating under a common U.S. corporate structure.   Royal's regional websites all come back to that U.S. corporate structure.

Based on U.S. norms, Royal has a policy in place to allow guests to adjust gratuity for bad service.   That is consistent with U.S. norms.  Some guests, non-American or American, can use that policy inappropriately to remove gratuity for their own personal gain at the expense of the crew.  That isn't why the policy is there but at the moment it can be exploited for that purpose.  

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

When reviewing any system of compensation you have to consider everything in totality.  Cost of living, availability of health care, taxation, cultural norms, education opportunities/subsidies and so on.    It's easy to declare a different system 'shamefull' when you don't take in the totality of it all.  

An American company with an HQ in America with most of it's customers being American is going to structure it's approach based on American norms. 

Unlike some other cruise lines that either have separate corporate entities and brands for European/Regional operations, or that require that any one booking a cruise in that region book through a different platform (such as Carnival Australia), Royal is a global operation operating under a common U.S. corporate structure.   Royal's regional websites all come back to that U.S. corporate structure.

Based on U.S. norms, Royal has a policy in place to allow guests to adjust gratuity for bad service.   That is consistent with U.S. norms.  Some guests, non-American or American, can use that policy inappropriately to remove gratuity for their own personal gain at the expense of the crew.  That isn't why the policy is there but at the moment it can be exploited for that purpose.  

Sounds good to me. Why not exploit it 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, twangster said:

I've often wondered what the girls in my bank are thinking when I go in and ask a hundred in singles.  Here in America there are many land based establishments where single dollar bills are used for other purposes.  

Maybe they wonder why they don’t get a tip for serving you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Mandatory gratuities are forbidden all around the EU and in many countries.....since RCI is selling in all those countries they just can not make grats unremovable!

The rule is not for BAD service....it says something else!:classic_rolleyes:

Actually I find service at RCI to be mediocre at best...always issues on any cruise lately!

One example that never fails:

Have you ever seen all Coke machines functioning for a 24 hour period?

Have you always had your room made before 1 pm?

Meals always hot?

And the list goes on and on.....

5 Minutes can save you 15%!:classic_biggrin:

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

1 minute ago, voyager70 said:

No, because he's repeating the same spiel over and over again.  Genug already.

As do all those who call people cheap and that they stuff the crew etc, never seem to see anyone tell them to “move on”.

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

As do all those who call people cheap and that they stuff the crew etc, never seem to see anyone tell them to “move on”.

Well I just did.  Sick of his snarky attitude.  If he is so bothered by the tipping culture on US based ships he can always cruise with AIDA.  I hear they're quite good.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Well I just did.  Sick of his snarky attitude.  If he is so bothered by the tipping culture on US based ships he can always cruise with AIDA.  I hear they're quite good.

And if you don’t like what he posts maybe you should “move on” and not read them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

So why do you have to get personal all the time and can not have a mature discussion or stay away?

What is it that makes you feel like you get to judge other people?🤔

5 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Yep, I find it amusing how those that complain the most still keep coming back.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Glad to be #2.  Never had a problem telling those that knowingly stiff the crew what I think of them.  

Do you really think a personal attack is going to change anything other than create friction?:classic_ohmy:

Would some calm substantial arguments not be the way to go - if you want to bring across your point and do something for the cause??👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Do you really think a personal attack is going to change anything other than create friction?:classic_ohmy:

Would some calm substantial arguments not be the way to go - if you want to bring across your point and do something for the cause??👍

And yet you urging people to remove their gratuities at every chance you get doesn’t create friction.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

And yet you urging people to remove their gratuities at every chance you get doesn’t create friction.

I am not urging anyone - I just state an opinion on how I feel about it....

I accept that others feel differently for many reasons ...

But unlike the Musketeers - I do not feel the urge to attack and personally harm them!

Why can some people not discuss a topic and just exchange opinions without getting the urge to harm others?😥

Sometimes after you look at the arguments....just agree to disagree and still be civil!👍😎

Just go some pages back...and see how #3 started the attack by setting the stage...#1 joined in and then ....it went nasty....perfect example is how #3 stareted it...and then pulled back to set up for #1 and #2:classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Royal's regional websites all come back to that U.S. corporate structure.

Except the UK one which seems to be run by a different company.

Biker, who is waiting for the lock which inevitably comes in a heated tipping thread.

6 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Except the UK one which seems to be run by a different company.

Biker, who is waiting for the lock which inevitably comes in a heated tipping thread.

Pretty sure the Aussie one stays local too.