Fitness/Working Out

Dragonpatch

Hello - I've not yet found a Search function inside the Regent 7 Seas forum, so please forgive if this is a well-discussed topic.

We will be on Seven Seas Voyager.

How are the ship's workout facilities? I have not yet found a photo of them on the RSSC web site. 

Can anyone comment on fitness facility hours (I assume they are limited, so as not to disturb nearby cabins), quality/type of equipment, and if there is typically a wait to use equipment?

Running on the deck is not an option for us.

Gotta work up an appetite to enjoy all the fabulous food!

:classic_laugh:

I haven't been on board Voyager in quite a few years and I don't remember all that much about the fitness center (although I have vivid memories of the Connoisseur Club and most of the bars!)...but I did a quick Google image search and came up with some shots that will give you at least an idea of what you're dealing with:

https://www.google.com/search?q=seven+seas+voyager+fitness+center+photo&safe=off&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS791US791&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwia8NTVhP3eAhWPnOAKHdn9CIYQ_AUIDigB&biw=1920&bih=938#imgrc=_

Hope those photos help a little - and be sure the photos you're looking at are of RSSC Voyager; Google results can get scrambled at times and you'll see Voyager of the Seas or RSSC Explorer sometimes.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Dragonpatch said:

Oh no! That's terrible. Maybe RSSC passengers aren't into working out?

The prior post was likely done "tongue in cheek".  The gym is not invisible nor is it  difficult to find on any Regent ship.  However, compared to larger ships, the gyms on the Mariner, Navigator and Voyager are not large (the gym on Explorer is).  The gym can be quite crowded or very quiet - depending on what is going on that day.  Passengers that are really into working out post about it a lot while the rest of us may work out but it is not our reason for being on the ship and we simply don't post much about it.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

the rest of us may work out but it is not our reason for being on the ship .  

I suddenly had this vision of people whose reason for being on the ship is to work out. Can you imagine a more expensive gym membership? :classic_wink:

22 minutes ago, Dragonpatch said:

I suddenly had this vision of people whose reason for being on the ship is to work out. Can you imagine a more expensive gym membership? :classic_wink:

Now that is a funny image!  Actually I wish that I could live on the ship like the gentleman that has lived on the Navigator for 13 years.  That is the life:classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Now that is a funny image!  Actually I wish that I could live on the ship like the gentleman that has lived on the Navigator for 13 years.  That is the life:classic_biggrin:

With 32 Regent cruises under your belt(s), and more to come per your sig line...you come pretty close 🙂

Hi Dragon Patch

UUNetBill has linked terrific photos of the Voyager/Regent ship fitness and spa facilities.  And as you noted to me in an earlier email, Yoga (even when there appears to be triplets doing Yoga :)) is often practiced in the Regent fitness class space. 

We use the Regent's Concessionaire, "Canyon Ranch" Spa and Fitness facility at least two to three hours daily whether on the Voyager Grand Voyage (Auckland to Hong Kong) last year or for about eight weeks on the Mariner this year.  Regarding the Spa/Fitness hours, on the Mariner (we disembarked about two weeks ago) if I recall correctly, the posted Spa/Fitness hours are between 7 a.m and 8 p.m.  Although the Fitness facility door remains closed until 7 a.m., you can open the door before 7 a.m., and use fitness equipment or fitness class space. 

The Voyager fitness room/space (fitness classroom space is nearby) equipment (pls see link to the Regent Website Voyager Spa/Fitness page below) includes (if recall correctly)   a half dozen spin cycles, free weights, , 3 Treadmills, 4 Ellipticals, a recumbent bicycle, and two seated bicycles.  Also, some of the Voyager fitness equipment you will find: 2-3, weight benches, a decline bench (for sit ups/stretching or dumb ell flyes) a Nautilus machine, leg press (plates go from 50lbs to 400lbs) and chest press machines,  ample workout mats and at least a half dozen step benches.

We have learned during our Regent cruises that the peak use time for the fitness facility is between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m.  Consequently, a very few Mariner guests and very few Voyager (Singapore to Hong Kong) guests (last year, including Mr. Rumor who is now on board the Voyager and has a live Voyager Caribbean blog now going)  would find using the elliptical, treadmill, strider, or recumbent bikes between 5 a.m. and 7 a.m. would allow us to use this equipment without a wait.  Often during these early morning (about 5 a.m) elliptical & Tai Chi workouts, would observe other Regent crew using the treadmills and ellipticals,  and they would use the fitness equipment too

Dragon patch, for us and at least 10-15 percent (our personal observation) of Regent Guests, and a good number of senior Regent Staff and Regent Production Cast use the fitness facilities.  On the Mariner in October thru mid November,  often I would do indoor cycling or use free weights next to the Mariner's Captain (Daniel told me he tries to cycle and he uses weights at least daily when his Captain duties allow).  A couple of days, while doing an afternoon workout, would say hello to our Cruise Director John Barron who was in the fitness equipment space doing his personal fitness regimen per his laptop.

Canyon Ranch fitness instructors lead Pilates, Yoga, Stretch, Spin, Zumba, Legs, Bums & Tum classes.  These well trained fitness instructors also offer personal ("one-on-one")  training to Regent guests at about $77 for a half hour. Our outstanding (best fitness instructor we have enjoyed in 28 cruises on both Regent and Silversea) Mariner fitness instructor (Bianca) not only provided Ida personal training for three weeks, Bianca also provided recurring personal training for the Mariner's Captain and some members of the Production Staff.

We also observed during our late afternoon workouts, most of the Production Cast (Singers as well as Dancers) were in the fitness (equipment space) or fitness (class space) using the leg press/chest press equipment as well as the  free weights (u will find dumbells from 5lbs to 50lbs).  And, late in the day (after 5:30pm or after the last fitness class for Mariner guests was held, we observed the majority of the  Mariner Production cast (Zach, Summer, Alyssa, Daryl, Barney, Brandon, Douglas, Amanda,)  using their personal laptop fitness program to do their own personal fitness regimen.  These wonderfully friendly (always engaging) young adults, learned to be able to fit into their Production Number costumes (and not incur the wrath of Grace, the Production Wardrobe Manager) they needed to workout daily.

Using the  fitness/spa facilities for us are part of our cruise rhythm and as you said in your first post so well (and the Mariner Production Cast have learned), "gotta work out to enjoy the fabulous (Regent) food (and adult beverages)."

Shown in a few photos below is a Yoga class we took during last year’s Voyager cruise, and a few photos of Ida doing spin classes, zumba, and personal training with Bianca the Marine fitness instructor. 

https://www.rssc.com/ships/seven_seas_voyager/spa-fitness

22A1E000-53B5-4B83-BB47-B7750AA96023.jpeg

C025E094-4637-4C6E-AD6C-FC6BC36C2E27.jpeg

C8BAB145-6692-4908-AB60-25510B16C141.jpeg

0D095199-07AE-464D-94C0-5D9C5485FB82.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Wes, what a terrific response to my question. I could not have asked for better. Yes, it does look like we will need to stay on our toes (almost literally) to be able to get a few decent workouts in such a small, heavily-used space. That is probably an inevitable disadvantage of the smaller ships. I hadn't even thought of the crew and entertainers using the gym, but of course they would need to. They are on the ship far longer than we passengers are. 

Among the many trials of advancing age is that I seem to lose my conditioning very fast. We recently enjoyed a 2-week African safari trip, where there was barely time (or place) to go to the bathroom, let alone exercise; the first time I returned to our gym at home, I injured myself - even though I'd consciously done less weight, fewer reps than my previous routine. So it's really important to me to keep up exercise as best I can during a cruise. 

Ida looks to be in great shape, by the way. 🙂 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 1:18 PM, UUNetBill said:

I haven't been on board Voyager in quite a few years and I don't remember all that much about the fitness center (although I have vivid memories of the Connoisseur Club and most of the bars!)...but I did a quick Google image search and came up with some shots that will give you at least an idea of what you're dealing with:

https://www.google.com/search?q=seven+seas+voyager+fitness+center+photo&safe=off&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS791US791&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwia8NTVhP3eAhWPnOAKHdn9CIYQ_AUIDigB&biw=1920&bih=938#imgrc=_

Hope those photos help a little - and be sure the photos you're looking at are of RSSC Voyager; Google results can get scrambled at times and you'll see Voyager of the Seas or RSSC Explorer sometimes.

Wow - that link took us to photos of all of the ships.  As you likely know, nothing can touch the gym on Explorer ...... so much larger than on other ships.  While Dennis works out (and so do I on Explorer),  we are on vacation and do what is necessary but do not go overboard (pun intended).  

Not change subjects but the Connoisseur Club reeked on Voyager (cigarettes - not cigars).  Even walking by it was like smoking a cigarette (second hand).  Wish that Regent could build the same type of smoking area that they have on Explorer (glass enclosed area that keeps the smoke away from others).  

18 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Not change subjects but the Connoisseur Club reeked on Voyager (cigarettes - not cigars).  Even walking by it was like smoking a cigarette (second hand).  Wish that Regent could build the same type of smoking area that they have on Explorer (glass enclosed area that keeps the smoke away from others).  

Agreed on the cigarette stink - the last few times I've tried to enjoy a cigar in the CC, I've almost been run out by the cigarette smokers.  I know it sounds odd, especially to non-smokers, but there really is a difference in cigar and cigarette smoke - and as a former cigarette smoker I know how noxious it can be.  I do like the outdoor glassed-in area on Explorer - it seems to always have a crowd of smokers in it and you can barely tell it's there (well, I can barely tell).  I wouldn't be unhappy if they made the CC a cigar-only area, but I know that will never happen.