HAL Wine Policy

TravellingGrands

It was 5 years ago... January 2014.  You can still bring unlimited wine... you just have to pay $18 corkage on anything beyond the one free bottle per person limit.  If you bring that free bottle with you to a venue then you still get hit with the $18 corkage fee though.

Edited by *Miss G*

If you get a sticker  on your wine bottle, your free bottle(s) can be taken to any venue and consumed without the corkage fee.  Usually when you embark on the ship, there will be the "alcohol table" staffed by someone who will collect the corkage fees for all bottles you bring on above the allotted one per person.  However, all bottles will be given a sticker.  We have done this many times and it works very well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2018 at 4:03 PM, *Miss G* said:

It was 5 years ago... January 2014.  You can still bring unlimited wine... you just have to pay $18 corkage on anything beyond the one free bottle per person limit.  If you bring that free bottle with you to a venue then you still get hit with the $18 corkage fee though.

Can someone confirm for me... is it one bottle per person (assuming adult)? meaning - I have 3 adults in my cabin - can we bring on, collectively, 3 bottles, without having to pay corkage?

18 minutes ago, VermeulT said:

Can someone confirm for me... is it one bottle per person (assuming adult)? meaning - I have 3 adults in my cabin - can we bring on, collectively, 3 bottles, without having to pay corkage?

Yes. It's one 750 ml bottle per adult, per cruise.

On 12/2/2018 at 1:39 PM, just_cruising_along said:

If you get a sticker  on your wine bottle, your free bottle(s) can be taken to any venue and consumed without the corkage fee.  Usually when you embark on the ship, there will be the "alcohol table" staffed by someone who will collect the corkage fees for all bottles you bring on above the allotted one per person.  However, all bottles will be given a sticker.  We have done this many times and it works very well.

I suspect you got lucky with the stickers. The one corkage fee exempt bottle is for the cabin. If you take it to a venue you pay corkage. 

Page 6: KBYG

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BROUGHT ON BOARD
Each guest 21^ years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.
^ For voyages that depart from and return to Australia and/or New Zealand, this policy applies to guests 18 years and older. Effective July 1, 2016,
for voyages which depart from and return to Europe, China, Hong Kong, Singapore or Taiwan, this policy applies to guests 18 years and older, and for voyages which depart from and return to Japan, this policy applies to guests 20 years and older.
Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) purchased
in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Alternatively guests can choose to have these bottles stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.
All other alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls as well as all alcoholic beverages purchased from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge. Onboard corkage fee is waived for one bottle of wine per person per tour for wine purchased during a culinary-themed Holland America Line Shore Excursion.
In-Room Dining offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be added).

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Thanks 1