hors d'oeuvres - when and where?

akenned

I will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam this coming Sunday.  Are hors d'oeuvres only usually served during happy hours or are they served at other times?  Which bars typically serve them or in your opinion, which bar has the best ones?  I always seem to miss them for whatever reason. I will be in a Neptune suite so I suppose I could always order some for the room.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by akenned

Neptune Lounge will always have small snacks, but not hot ones. If you order appetizers for your suite, they do come in very large portions - see if you can get only a half portion - both hot and cold appetizers can be ordered.

We have seen appetizers offered during the early happy hour time period in the Crows Nest, and I believe some in the Ocean Bar as well. It is just a short pass through and then no more. So the timing can be hit and miss. 

One of the best appetizer "deals" is the late afternoon  sip and savor option - where you do have a modest surcharge glass of wine, but it comes with a novel, chef-inspired appetizer of the day - this usually takes place in the Mix area on the smaller ships and was very well attended on a past cruise.  This will be noted in the daily program.

Tea at Three will have savory cold small bites, as well as tradition tea items - no charge.  Tea used to have themed menus that could include hot items - like the very yummy Royal Dutch Tea, or the cold buffet items of the Indonesian Tea but alas (for no good reason) these have been discontinued. 

Mariners receptions are another activity where appetizers are passed around along with various drinks and ordered cocktails. 

There is always the nacho bar by the Dive-Inn Lido  station where you can compose some very good nacho plates to take to your cabin.  That is open until 5pm. (Now ask me how I know where all this extra food is found :classic_tongue:)

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 2

The appetizers that are served during Happy Hour -- usually 4 - 5 PM in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest are the same.  Sometimes they are also served starting around 5 PM and 7 PM in the Ocean Bar.  Again -- the same types.  This varies by ship.

On the Neiuw Amsterdam the Sip and Savor which you pay for is held in the Pinnacle wine bar.

On our last couple of cruises, at the Mariner's award ceremony, no appetizers were passed around and there was no ordering different drinks other than what was offered -- red wine, white wine and a Bloody Mary.  Also only 4 and 5 star mariners and those receiving medals were the only ones invited to the mariner's award ceremony.

When we would stay in Neptune Suites, we would have a standing order of chicken wings and shrimp tempura with Asian sauce delivered at 3:00 PM every day.  We requested the delivery through the Concierage despite being told that they were not available on the appetizer list (changes everyday but you need to ask to see the list).  Both the wings and shrimp never failed to be at our stateroom around three o'clock each day.

Six full wings were always on the plate with half being consumed at the time and the other three placed in the minibar for a late snack.

As an aside, one cruise found our own MDR waiter delivering the appetizers each day as well as a small oragami paper animal each day. 

4 hours ago, POA1 said:

The Sip & Savor is usually in the Pinnacle Bar on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

ON most   HAL ships, hot and cold hors'douerves   are served   in Ocean  bar and Crow's Nest  during pre dinner cocktail hours. We sometimes asked for and received them in Pinnacle Bar.

Edited by sail7seas

5 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

ON most   HAL ships, hot and cold hors'douerves   are served   in Ocean  bar and Crow's Nest  during pre dinner cocktail hours. We sometimes asked for and received them in Pinnacle Bar.

Yes. The Sip & Savor is a daily wine special with a little snack to accompany it. It's different from the regular afternoon / early evening appetizers. 

4 hours ago, sail7seas said:

We sometimes asked for and received them in Pinnacle Bar.

That has been my experience as well when I have been patronizing the Ocean Bar,  If there are some leftover from the Happy Hour, the Bartenders are pleased to give you what is available.