money exchange

auie2

I think we changed a few big US bills into  smaller CUC  on day 1, and then converted $20 US for tips on the last day. I think $20 US converted to 17.30 CUC or thereabouts.

Tourism seems to be having a huge impact on some Cuban people. Several guides / drivers said they make more money on their side gigs than their real jobs. So, I was happy to tip generously.

I bought CAD before I left - and really only ended up saving $3 maybe vs going directly from USD to CUC (to get ~$250 in CUC).  So if I had it to do over, I would just exchange USD directly into CUC in Cuba and save the hassle of the extra step and a trip to the bank.  On the way back, I exchanged back into USD form my remaining CUC.  

I honestly don't think they care what denominations you bring to exchange.  When I got my USD back, they had change and small bills to give me, so I'm assuming they had to get those from people exchanging in the morning.....

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:11 AM, Cary Cruiser said:

Do you intend to buy cigars and/or rum?  I spent about $400 CUC on those 2 items alone. One nice box of cigars and a couple of Viejo bottles of rum.  Lunch/food can be had relatively inexpensive.  I brought over $1,000 US with me (on a cruise) and was sure I was going to come home with some cash, but got off the ship penniless.

It's not the end of the world if you convert too much to CUC and wind up having to convert a little back to $US.

I do intend to buy cigars and a bottle of rum along with a scheduled excursion & tip, lunch and a drink or two and a "little" shopping by the wife so I figure I'll need $500 - $600 for our day in Cuba.

When spending in Cuba would you consider 1 cuc as you would 1 US$?  

Yes, the CUC has an official exchange rate of one CUC to one US dollar.  But the currency exchanges take a service charge and fee when converting to CUC, and when converting back into $.

I believe the official currency exchange rate from any currency into CUC is 3%, and 3% back to the original currency.  US $ have an additional 10% penalty, so a $100 US exchange becomes  87,5 or so in CUC. (They may take the 3% first, and exchange the rest, I didn't think about it until just now.  You'd think it would be 87 CUC)

On 1/28/2019 at 4:59 PM, Cienfuegos said:

There were 3-4 currency change booths open each morning in Cienfuegos, and at least one open each afternoon.

I don't know what time that booth closes, but likely when the last launch leaves would be my guess

We have a 2 am departing time.  

I think we will bring US$ and exchange it for CUC and get mostly small bills, like 20's, 10's, etc based on what we are doing.  I would be shocked that someone would not want 2 CUC 20's and a CUC 10 vs a 50 CUC bill.  I have also read about needing a bathroom break and needing some change(coins).

If I lose US 20$ on exchanges or not being able to spend it, I will consider it 2 loses at a card table and move on vs worrying about this for days, weeks prior to cruise.  

Finally, I will assume that  I will need to spend my CUC  before they close the exchange booths or I will figure out a way to spend it on a drink, tip(good will) or something.