What happens to travel insurance when RCCL cancels your cruise?

ugagal07

17 hours ago, john watson said:

I always book my cruises in advance, I tried booking one in the past once but that did not work.  Having said that I never have had a cruise cancelled retrospectively by the cruise line after I have returned home.    

My comment regarding cruise booked in the future was meaning that it wasn't a "currently happening" situation where the OP took a taxi to the pier on the day of the cruise only to discover that the cruise had been cancelled.  

17 hours ago, john watson said:

My new system, and it seems to work generally, is to book cruises in advance in conjunction with a taxi a year ahead sometimes to get a definite arrangement sorted and paid up beforehand.  This gives me a discount with the taxi company.  This can prove risky if the cruise line cancels my voyage but then I claim on my Annual Travel Insurance policy.  

There is a difference between a taxi and a car service, and booking a car service a year in advance is just insane, IMO, but crazy people keep psychiatrists in business, so just keep taking your meds so you stay out of the emergency department, and we're all good.

20 hours ago, ugagal07 said:

Calling this afternoon.  Got switched over to the Allure of the Seas by some small miracle, so hoping that if I have new reservation info they can just switch it over.  I will report back when I know the answer.

Since I have not been 'formally' notified by Royal Caribbean yet, there is nothing I can do.  I have to provide proof the sailing was cancelled.  I have rebooked on the Allure, but until I get that magic email saying the sailing was cancelled, insurance can't do anything.  I'll be calling Royal Caribbean to request that they notify me in writing that the sailing has been cancelled.  

4 hours ago, brillohead said:

My comment regarding cruise booked in the future was meaning that it wasn't a "currently happening" situation where the OP took a taxi to the pier on the day of the cruise only to discover that the cruise had been cancelled.  

There is a difference between a taxi and a car service, and booking a car service a year in advance is just insane, IMO, but crazy people keep psychiatrists in business, so just keep taking your meds so you stay out of the emergency department, and we're all good.

Booking a year ahead, with my brother in laws taxi system is sensible to me.  The money stays within the control of the family and if a calamity occurs such as the cruise line cancelling.  I get my money back from the insurers and my brother in law keeps the original money I paid to him using my credit card. I think of it as a win win situation.

Regards John

On 12/9/2018 at 11:09 PM, ugagal07 said:

Thankfully it appears that this is NOT a common issue people have first hand knowledge of. 🙂

There are cancellation threads on CC virtually monthly and lots of posts about first hand knowledge of how it was handled - not sure if that is what you call "common".

2 hours ago, ugagal07 said:

Since I have not been 'formally' notified by Royal Caribbean yet, there is nothing I can do.  I have to provide proof the sailing was cancelled.  I have rebooked on the Allure, but until I get that magic email saying the sailing was cancelled, insurance can't do anything.  I'll be calling Royal Caribbean to request that they notify me in writing that the sailing has been cancelled.  

I guess I'm not following.  Why can't you keep the policy since the carrier - Royal Caribbean is the same?  

34 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

I guess I'm not following.  Why can't you keep the policy since the carrier - Royal Caribbean is the same?  

I am assuming the OP has bought a "Single Trip" Insurance policy with set dates and details as opposed to an Annual Policy which covers all trips in a one year period.

Regards John

2 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

It is a different cruise that now has different travel dates and costs with changing the ships and itinerary.   The policy is through Nationwide Travel Insurance, not Royal Caribbean, so I have to get the insurer to change the policy to reflect the changes in my trip.  

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

There are cancellation threads on CC virtually monthly and lots of posts about first hand knowledge of how it was handled - not sure if that is what you call "common".

I didn't find any threads on what happens to travel insurance if a cruise is cancelled by the cruise line, which is what I mean wasn't common.  I realize people post frequently about other cancellation issues, but I didn't see any related to this topic.

3 minutes ago, ugagal07 said:

I realize people post frequently about other cancellation issues, but I didn't see any related to this topic.

That is such a specific thing and not directly RCI related, that going to the vendor will likely yield the best info.