What happens to travel insurance when RCCL cancels your cruise?

ugagal07

We have Nationwide trip insurance purchased for the Oasis cancelled sailing.  I can't find in the fine print what happens to the premium I paid when RCCL cancels the cruise.  Has anyone had this happen before?  Will Nationwide refund my premium cost or am I out that money?

2 minutes ago, ugagal07 said:

Will they let me transfer it to another sailing? 

This cancellation is just getting better and better...

Only the insurance company can tell you that. There are differences in policies, even within the same company.  

Call them .

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Some of the insurance policies that I sell will refund your premium of the cruise is cancelled by either part before final payment. 

You need to call the insurance company. 

Thanks.  Nationwide is closed on the weekend and I was hoping to have a rough idea of options before trying to call from work tomorrow.  We buy the trip change plans where if the cruise route changes prior to departure we get compensation.

It is not clear whether you have purchased single trip insurance or annual trip insurance.  I tend to go for the annual type as it covers for weekends away as well as a big holiday.  I assume you have gone for single trip and now the policy will conclude therefore you want the policy premium refunded.

I think it is important to consider all the options available to you and prudent to read the details in your policy handbook which may be online.  It is possible to work out,in your own mind the clause or clauses you might be able to use.  

In addition, did you pay for any part of the cruise using a credit card or a visa debit card in some cases it is possible to get a refund through these routes.

Is this a cancellation or a failure of transport?  Have you booked other associated items or services which you are now going to incur a loss in this incident, taxis, hotels etc.?  Will any of you lost money as a result, through work etc.?

If the cruise line "compensates" you will this affect your insurance claim?  If Royal Caribbean offers you say £1000 in cash or in credit plus a free upgrade on your next cruise, it might be considered that your losses are minimal to a bonus.

I think you need to find out as much as possible for yourself before you play your cards.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

7 minutes ago, john watson said:

It is not clear whether you have purchased single trip insurance or annual trip insurance.  I tend to go for the annual type as it covers for weekends away as well as a big holiday.  I assume you have gone for single trip and now the policy will conclude therefore you want the policy premium refunded.

I think it is important to consider all the options available to you and prudent to read the details in your policy handbook which may be online.  It is possible to work out,in your own mind the clause or clauses you might be able to use.  

In addition, did you pay for any part of the cruise using a credit card or a visa debit card in some cases it is possible to get a refund through these routes.

Is this a cancellation or a failure of transport?  Have you booked other associated items or services which you are now going to incur a loss in this incident, taxis, hotels etc.?  Will any of you lost money as a result, through work etc.?

If the cruise line "compensates" you will this affect your insurance claim?  If Royal Caribbean offers you say £1000 in cash or in credit plus a free upgrade on your next cruise, it might be considered that your losses are minimal to a bonus.

I think you need to find out as much as possible for yourself before you play your cards.

Regards John

The OP does not need a refund of any part of the cruise. Royal cancelled the cruise and is issuing a full refund. They want to know if they can get their policy refunded or moved. 

9 minutes ago, john watson said:

Regards John

Royal cancelled the sailing, it was not my choice.  There is nothing in the policy about provider cancellation and was hoping someone had personal experience.  I will be calling tomorrow, but was hoping to have an idea of what to expect before I call. 

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The OP does not need a refund of any part of the cruise. Royal cancelled the cruise and is issuing a full refund. They want to know if they can get their policy refunded or moved. 

I understand that the OP is simply trying to get their policy premium refunded.  My point is that this is a comparatively minor issue in comparison to other issues such as  booking annual leave off work, not being able to get a suitable alternative booked.  Your taxi money has now gone.  The hotel booking is not refundable.  The cruise line simply wants to hand you your money back and not offer any form of recompense!

Regards John

I don't know for sure, but if the cruise is before final payment, there is nothing to insure.  You get your money back from the cruise line. I would think they would reimburse you.  I know Royal will reimburse your insurance costs even if you paid in full, as long as it's before the final payment date. I have done it a few times over the years.

3 minutes ago, gaylemh said:

I don't know for sure, but if the cruise is before final payment, there is nothing to insure.  You get your money back from the cruise line. I would think they would reimburse you.  I know Royal will reimburse your insurance costs even if you paid in full, as long as it's before the final payment date. I have done it a few times over the years.

Depends if the OP purchased non-refundable airfare. hotel bookings, etc.  If the insurance company was exposed to a potential loss, then I would think the premium would be gone.

16 minutes ago, ugagal07 said:

Royal cancelled the sailing, it was not my choice.  There is nothing in the policy about provider cancellation and was hoping someone had personal experience.  I will be calling tomorrow, but was hoping to have an idea of what to expect before I call. 

Under the clauses in your insurance handbook I think this is a failure of transport to be provided. Possibly a consequential cost thereof.   I think it very shabby of a large company to cancel something you have entered into a contract over and simply say it is not happening now here's your money back and leave it at that.  You are out of pocket on the policy premium at the least.  I am just pointing out that you should be offered more than that and other losses may be claimable for in the small print in the insurance documentation.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

5 hours ago, john watson said:

Under the clauses in your insurance handbook I think this is a failure of transport to be provided. Possibly a consequential cost thereof.   I think it very shabby of a large company to cancel something you have entered into a contract over and simply say it is not happening now here's your money back and leave it at that.  You are out of pocket on the policy premium at the least.  I am just pointing out that you should be offered more than that and other losses may be claimable for in the small print in the insurance documentation.

Regards John

I agree it is really crummy of Royal to just cancel, but they can and did.  I am not making any claims on it, we drive to port and the pre-cruise hotel is refundable.  I just want my premium applied to a different sailing or a refund if they cannot transfer it.  We'll see...

I found in the cover page to the insurance that the premium is non-refundable, hoping they will reconsider and let me transfer it to a new sailing.  It says "All premium is non-refundable after a ten (10) day review period from the date of purchase in the event You have not incurred any claims during that time. In the event the premium paid for coverage is less than the required premium for coverage, benefits will be paid in direct proportion of the actual amount paid to the required premium due."   I purchased it more than 10 days ago, I booked the cruise in May.

But it does say this "ITINERARY CHANGE In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary prior to Your actual departure date we will pay up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage. Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented change of Port of Call from the scheduled itinerary. Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip Itinerary will be necessary for claim payment."  I'd say this is itinerary change...

Royal is offering $300 if we rebook another cruise, so that would at least cover my insurance costs and a small, tiny fraction of the cost of the new cruise.

Thankfully it appears that this is NOT a common issue people have first hand knowledge of. 🙂

On 12/9/2018 at 5:22 PM, john watson said:

I understand that the OP is simply trying to get their policy premium refunded.  My point is that this is a comparatively minor issue in comparison to other issues such as  booking annual leave off work, not being able to get a suitable alternative booked.  Your taxi money has now gone.  The hotel booking is not refundable.  The cruise line simply wants to hand you your money back and not offer any form of recompense!

Regards John

What taxi money?  The cruise is booked in the future, and was canceled in advance.  

14 hours ago, brillohead said:

What taxi money?  The cruise is booked in the future, and was canceled in advance.  

I always book my cruises in advance, I tried booking one in the past once but that did not work.  Having said that I never have had a cruise cancelled retrospectively by the cruise line after I have returned home.  

My new system, and it seems to work generally, is to book cruises in advance in conjunction with a taxi a year ahead sometimes to get a definite arrangement sorted and paid up beforehand.  This gives me a discount with the taxi company.  This can prove risky if the cruise line cancels my voyage but then I claim on my Annual Travel Insurance policy.  

Regards John

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:09 PM, ugagal07 said:

I agree it is really crummy of Royal to just cancel, but they can and did.  I am not making any claims on it, we drive to port and the pre-cruise hotel is refundable.  I just want my premium applied to a different sailing or a refund if they cannot transfer it.  We'll see...

I found in the cover page to the insurance that the premium is non-refundable, hoping they will reconsider and let me transfer it to a new sailing.  It says "All premium is non-refundable after a ten (10) day review period from the date of purchase in the event You have not incurred any claims during that time. In the event the premium paid for coverage is less than the required premium for coverage, benefits will be paid in direct proportion of the actual amount paid to the required premium due."   I purchased it more than 10 days ago, I booked the cruise in May.

But it does say this "ITINERARY CHANGE In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary prior to Your actual departure date we will pay up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage. Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented change of Port of Call from the scheduled itinerary. Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip Itinerary will be necessary for claim payment."  I'd say this is itinerary change...

Royal is offering $300 if we rebook another cruise, so that would at least cover my insurance costs and a small, tiny fraction of the cost of the new cruise.

Thankfully it appears that this is NOT a common issue people have first hand knowledge of. 🙂

So, it's Tuesday.  Did you call Nationwide on Monday?  What is the outcome?

7 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

So, it's Tuesday.  Did you call Nationwide on Monday?  What is the outcome?

Calling this afternoon.  Got switched over to the Allure of the Seas by some small miracle, so hoping that if I have new reservation info they can just switch it over.  I will report back when I know the answer.

1 hour ago, john watson said:

I always book my cruises in advance, I tried booking one in the past once but that did not work.  Having said that I never have had a cruise cancelled retrospectively by the cruise line after I have returned home.  

My new system, and it seems to work generally, is to book cruises in advance in conjunction with a taxi a year ahead sometimes to get a definite arrangement sorted and paid up beforehand.  This gives me a discount with the taxi company.  This can prove risky if the cruise line cancels my voyage but then I claim on my Annual Travel Insurance policy.  

Regards John

You pay a taxi a year in advance??

22 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

You pay a taxi a year in advance??

I will go through the maths and you should see the sense in my system.

Annual travel insurance paid up.  This covers for all my cruises and weekend city breaks etc. A single trip policy might be £60.00

I then book a cruise for say £2000.00 and pay out 10% deposit (£200.00).

Then I book a hotel on a non-cancel cheaper rate one night pre-cruise including meals at a discount (£150.00)

I then book a taxi from my brother in law's executive car service for £500.00 less 25% pre-payment non-refundable discount which gives me this years price guaranteed rate no increases (£375.00) which I pay with a credit card which is important.

Say cruise line cancels.  I need my money back;  £200.00 from cruise line, £150.00 from insurers for hotel, £375.00 from insurers for taxi.  The last two are losses cruise lines do not deem themselves responsible for.

OP is seeking to get premium back £60.00 in my scenario, which is a small amount in comparison to other items.  If I were flying then the flight costs would also need to be recovered.

Regards John

This happened to us months ago. RCCL canceled our Enchantment cruise to Panama Canal. They offered a fair amount of OBC to rebook within 30 days.

Customer Service at our insurance provider carefully explained what I needed to email them as attachments: proof that original cruise was canceled, copy of old itinerary as well as new itinerary and a statement that we would not be making any claims against the policy for the first booking.

if I remember correctly, there was a time limit.....perhaps 45 days after we were notified original cruise was canceled. New policy was emailed within 48 hours of me meeting those requirements.

it was quite painless.

31 minutes ago, john watson said:

I will go through the maths and you should see the sense in my system.

Annual travel insurance paid up.  This covers for all my cruises and weekend city breaks etc. A single trip policy might be £60.00

I then book a cruise for say £2000.00 and pay out 10% deposit (£200.00).

Then I book a hotel on a non-cancel cheaper rate one night pre-cruise including meals at a discount (£150.00)

I then book a taxi from my brother in law's executive car service for £500.00 less 25% pre-payment non-refundable discount which gives me this years price guaranteed rate no increases (£375.00) which I pay with a credit card which is important.

Say cruise line cancels.  I need my money back;  £200.00 from cruise line, £150.00 from insurers for hotel, £375.00 from insurers for taxi.  The last two are losses cruise lines do not deem themselves responsible for.

OP is seeking to get premium back £60.00 in my scenario, which is a small amount in comparison to other items.  If I were flying then the flight costs would also need to be recovered.

Regards John

Wow, just thinking about all that would suck the fun out of a vacation.  We'll book refundable rooms for 20.00 more and never pay more than 30 bucks for a taxi. 

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1