Norwegian Free/Reduced Airfare Questions

ddlb

I'm booking a cruise out of Copenhagen and taking the NCL reduced roundtrip airfare rate out of Chicago or Boston of $499 as a perk - which of course involved me upgrading from inside guarantee ix.    I have never done this before and if you have I would very much appreciate your feedback.  This is all the info my TA gave:

Flight schedules for Norwegian will not be assigned until 60 days prior to your departure date.  Their air program is under Bulk Air where you choose your gateway but they select the air schedule based on their available contracted schedules with the airlines.

I really want to know before then the flight departures so I can book a flight to Chicago in time to get the best price and or best flight times available before they are sold out.  In addition I have no clue if there will be costly luggage charges - meals included or not - upgrades available etc.

If anyone could provide me with what they have experienced in doing this I would really appreciate it very much.  

I

5 hours ago, ddlb said:

I'm booking a cruise out of Copenhagen and taking the NCL reduced roundtrip airfare rate out of Chicago or Boston of $499 as a perk - which of course involved me upgrading from inside guarantee ix.    I have never done this before and if you have I would very much appreciate your feedback.  This is all the info my TA gave:

Flight schedules for Norwegian will not be assigned until 60 days prior to your departure date.  Their air program is under Bulk Air where you choose your gateway but they select the air schedule based on their available contracted schedules with the airlines.

I really want to know before then the flight departures so I can book a flight to Chicago in time to get the best price and or best flight times available before they are sold out.  In addition I have no clue if there will be costly luggage charges - meals included or not - upgrades available etc.

If anyone could provide me with what they have experienced in doing this I would really appreciate it very much.  

I

So you're having to fly from your current location to the actual NCL departure location?  Your best thing if you don't want to wait till 60 days before is to just play on flying the day before and day after return.  Otherwise, your only option would be to wait until you have NCL's flight confirmation in hand first before booking your flights.

33 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

So you're having to fly from your current location to the actual NCL departure location?  Your best thing if you don't want to wait till 60 days before is to just play on flying the day before and day after return.  Otherwise, your only option would be to wait until you have NCL's flight confirmation in hand first before booking your flights.

Yes.  What you recommend is exactly what I was going to do and I even did a couple Norwegian Airline flghts fake bookings(probably not who NCL uses) to get an idea of what I might expect to get for flight times etc. from NCL  Since Copenhagen is 7 hours ahead of me - and the flight is over 9 hours I even discovered that booking a flight the day before might not get me to the port in time.  But I guess the best bet is to use my Southwest points to book now as I can always adjust if I have to when I get the actual info.  I am hoping anyone who has used the reduced air perk will also respond with what they actually experienced.  Thanks to all!

Are you comfortable arriving day of departure?  I think these reduced airfares will arrive day of so no wiggle room should they have flight delays.  If you’re relying on a flight arriving to Chicago that is a separate ticket you have another issue.  If anything goes wrong with first leg to Chicago causing a delay your out of luck if you miss your second ncl flight. 

I personally would not arrive day of departure. Flying all the way to Copenhagen and not getting to see anything except a shuttle from airport to ship. Jet lagged.. these ncl reduced fares offer no air deviation, except for Hawaii,  so you are going to arrive day of departure. 

Have you looked into Norwegian airlines?  No affiliation with NCL. I regularly see fares that are available from many us cities for less $ than your reduced airfare with pick your seats and luggage allowance. You can schedule arrival a couple days early to get rid of jet lag and enjoy Copenhagen. Another low cost option is Iceland air. They partner with Alaska Airlines just in case you have some Alaska miles. The Alaska signature visa gets you enough mileage for a rt coach via Iceland air for less than $20. 

Otherwise, Any larger city that you could drive to for the long haul portion of flight is likely to have some really inexpensive options. If you aren’t within driving distance and set with the ncl airfare I’d be inclined to arrive to Chicago a day or two prior just in case something happens. Good luck deciding.  

33 minutes ago, littlelulu01 said:

Are you comfortable arriving day of departure?  I think these reduced airfares will arrive day of so no wiggle room should they have flight delays.  If you’re relying on a flight arriving to Chicago that is a separate ticket you have another issue.  If anything goes wrong with first leg to Chicago causing a delay your out of luck if you miss your second ncl flight. 

I personally would not arrive day of departure. Flying all the way to Copenhagen and not getting to see anything except a shuttle from airport to ship. Jet lagged.. these ncl reduced fares offer no air deviation, except for Hawaii,  so you are going to arrive day of departure. 

Have you looked into Norwegian airlines?  No affiliation with NCL. I regularly see fares that are available from many us cities for less $ than your reduced airfare with pick your seats and luggage allowance. You can schedule arrival a couple days early to get rid of jet lag and enjoy Copenhagen. Another low cost option is Iceland air. They partner with Alaska Airlines just in case you have some Alaska miles. The Alaska signature visa gets you enough mileage for a rt coach via Iceland air for less than $20. 

Otherwise, Any larger city that you could drive to for the long haul portion of flight is likely to have some really inexpensive options. If you aren’t within driving distance and set with the ncl airfare I’d be inclined to arrive to Chicago a day or two prior just in case something happens. Good luck deciding.  

Very useful information and I agree with most of what you suggest.  Unfortunately I don't have the money for extra days/hotels etc. (but glad I visited Copenhagen like 30 years ago!) I am not looking forward to the jet lag believe me.  I did do a bunch of sample flights to and from different gateways using Norwegian Airlines but just couldn't get anything to work without it costing a lot more than the $499.  Still don't know what luggage and all that will cost.  I flew Norwegian from Barcelona - cheapest  - and we didn't even get a glass of water!  So I don't know what airlines NCL is going to use - which kind of irks me since my TA had no useful info.

60 days out I guess you’ll find out if it’s Norwegian airlines or WOW or legacy carrier. Fingers crossed it all works out fine for you, your connection flights and the cruise. Ncl’s website has the T&c’s for the free airfare.  Probably worth a read and it might answer baggage questions if nothing else. 

14 hours ago, littlelulu01 said:

60 days out I guess you’ll find out if it’s Norwegian airlines or WOW or legacy carrier. Fingers crossed it all works out fine for you, your connection flights and the cruise. Ncl’s website has the T&c’s for the free airfare.  Probably worth a read and it might answer baggage questions if nothing else. 

Thanks Little Lulu (love your name) - I found this!  Reservation must be made more than 16 days prior to sailing to qualify.
Air offer applies to economy, round-trip flights from select departure gateways only and will automatically apply. 
Offer only valid on select sailings. 
Air gateways are capacity controlled and subject to availability. 
Select sail dates may have gateways that are not eligible for the air offer. 
Blackout sail dates are at the discretion of Norwegian Cruise Line. 
3rd-8th guests will receive 25% off Norwegian Cruise Line's regular air/sea rates.
Guests may not deviate air when selecting the free or reduced air option, except Pride of America sailings.
Guests booked on Pride of America sailings may request to deviate air up to 2 days pre/post cruise.
A deviation fee of $50 USD per person will be charged on Pride of America sailings.
Norwegian Cruise Line will book guests' airfare with a maximum of one connection when possible; air schedules permitting.
Norwegian Cruise Line reserves the right to choose the air carrier, routing and city airport from each gateway city and reserves the right to substitute commuter service and/or charter air service for scheduled air carriers without prior notice. Upgraded class of service is permitted at an additional charge.
Includes air taxes, fees & surcharges.
Guests are responsible for airport transfers at an additional cost if selected.
Airline imposed personal charges such as baggage fees may apply.
All guests booked within a singular reservation will be booked on the same flight.

16 hours ago, ddlb said:

I did do a bunch of sample flights to and from different gateways using Norwegian Airlines but just couldn't get anything to work without it costing a lot more than the $499. 

NCL airfare is $499, but then you have to add in the cost of your cabin upgrade.   

If you compare that total to an airfare you can find in skyscanner.com or some other site,  is it a substantial savings?

Sorry to hear about your Norwegian flight.  Various family members had different flights to/from London last yr on Norwegian and they LOVED it.  (I had a great fare on Virgin Atlantic which I loved, but this yr they're about $500 higher so I will be using Norwegian. )

48 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

NCL airfare is $499, but then you have to add in the cost of your cabin upgrade.   

If you compare that total to an airfare you can find in skyscanner.com or some other site,  is it a substantial savings?

Sorry to hear about your Norwegian flight.  Various family members had different flights to/from London last yr on Norwegian and they LOVED it.  (I had a great fare on Virgin Atlantic which I loved, but this yr they're about $500 higher so I will be using Norwegian. )

Right - I booked  an i2 to get the air/transfers included for $1678 more than guarantee!   It was for a handicap room though.  I appreciate your skyscanner link.  I think I'm going to listen to everyone who gave me advice.  My Norwegian flight was great I was just too cheap to pay for the $90 upgrade to be truthful that would have given me 2 free meals and a checked suitcase!  Thanks for input.  I'll try Virgin too. 

10 minutes ago, ddlb said:

Right - I booked  an i2 to get the air/transfers included for $1678 more than guarantee!   It was for a handicap room though.  I appreciate your skyscanner link.  I think I'm going to listen to everyone who gave me advice.  My Norwegian flight was great I was just too cheap to pay for the $90 upgrade to be truthful that would have given me 2 free meals and a checked suitcase!  Thanks for input.  I'll try Virgin too. 

yeah, I hear you about the extra fees, but on a 10 hr flight, it's $90 well spent.  I paid the fee on Virgin Atlantic because I wanted seat selection ( to avoid the infant area ), plus I had an extra suitcase that I was leaving in England.  I ended up with a great seat !  I checked frequently and in the last week I moved to an aisle seat with an empty seat nextdoor.  I didn't think there would be a last minute single and sure enough it stayed empty.  Did the same thing on the way back. Plus the bank of bathrooms were behind my row so there was no one sitting back there, and an extra 2 ft of empty space for pillows, blankets etc. My family members all paid the extra, so I guess that's why they were so happy with Norwegian.  

The only issue I have with Norwegian this yr is their limited schedule.  They only fly a few days a week and the return flight gets me back too late to catch the connection to my home.  But my trip isn't until Sept so hopefully a connection will become available, or maybe there will be a substantial fare drop with the other carriers. Sure....

I went with an inside cabin for this cruise.  It's so port intensive I didn't think there would be enough time to enjoy it, except on the one sea day and the late arrival to Palma.  I wouldn't get my money's worth from a balcony.  I'm basically a budget traveller anyway.  Good luck !

there’s also the airfare to and from Chicago factor for price comparison. 

I think the free air is cancelable up till final payment so I’d keep an eye on fares till then.

I understand wanting to take a cruise line offer but if you’re supplementing a flight segment of your own, anything happens and you’re going to be out potentially a lot of vacation $.  

If you just made initial deposit, now might be the time to shop for cruise insurance.  A plan independent of cruiseline might cover your vacation with the supplement air segment to Chicago.  I understand you want to stick to a budget and get the lowest price but in your case you’re taking on some risks I wouldn’t feel comfortable with.  I don’t know if you have  an accessible room for need or if one was randomly assigned to you and you’re happy with the extra sq ft.  Almost every time we’ve booked a gt stateroom we have been assigned accessible so it’s not too rare an occurrence for Europe and Alaska sailings.   I would take a non accessible stateroom any day over the extra sq feet of accessible just to have a less institutional feeling room.