1/2/06 Century mini rant

dmarch@islc.net

The Drive:

With flying being such a pain now, we've opted to drive down for our last two cruises. Travel time is the same and we make the schedule. This time we bumped into a lovely representative from the sunshine state on the road. He turned us one to the FLA turnpike. Kept us out of all that South FLA traffic we hit last year. Take 95 (that's the highway not the speed limit) to the LGA get on the turnpike and exit at 84 (for Lauderdale) your right there. Wonderful! Hope this info is useful, cost us $200!

The Hotel:

Stayed at the Renaissance. If I did not book thew that "name you own price" TA we would of been greatly disappointed. The staff was less that helpful. But since we only paid a third of the going rate, I'll cut them some slack.

Embarkation:

A breeze. From the shuttle to our cabin in about 20.

Century:

Looking good. With the exception of deck 12 aft, I think they could get away with holding off on her re-fit a few more years.

Cabin:

8025 guarantee ocean view. It was great! Never in all of our cruises have we had left over storage space. It was in excellent shape.

Food (the biggie):

A++ Glad to report they did serve rack of lamb and there was plenty of shrimp. Never had a bad meal while onboard.

EB update:

Sorry, have to go to the dinning room.

The Grand dinning room:

Table 605 upstairs looking out over our wake trail was terrific. You might of read in an earlier post of mine that I was more than a little concerned about being assigned early seating. We loved it. Will definitely consider it again on our next cruise. My only beef with the dinning room would have to be with our asst. Matrodee (I can't spell). When I asked him if we could have chocolate souffle one night, he told me Century was not equipped to make one. I said funny Meridian was, Zenith was, Millie was, our kitchen in the 70's when I was a kid was. He went on to educate me on specialty souffle ovens that heat from all four sides. Sorry, I had to call BS on that.

Pool Butlers:

For the first time I saw effective pool butlers. Very helpful. They actually paid attention to who was hogging and who was not and removed the appropriate towels. Not like Zenith where they would go around and collect the towel at a certain time whether they were unattended for five seconds or five hours.

Entertainment:

My wife (with child like innocence) proclaimed Century "the fun ship" LOL Always had lots going on by the pool. As for the showroom...Aha it was OK usual X entertainment.

Nickel and dimed:

Seems like there was more of this than on other X cruises we've been on. Martini tasting are like twice a day now but have gone up to $9.95. Extra this extra that. I really need to remember that your cruise fare is just a get you in the door price. Not how it once was.

Our shipmates:

It was a chilly lot. I don't know where they were from but it wasn't the South. LOL When you said "hi" in the hallways they just looked at you like who the frig are you. I'm said to report that I did see lots of inappropriate elevator behavior, table manners, and lots and lots of buffet cutting. More so than any other X cruises we've been on.

Over all it was a wonderful cruise. Zenith is still our favorite (of the X ships still floating) but I'll give Century second place.

David

David,

Thank you for your balanced review. The Century is one of my favorite ships but haven't sailed on her in over two years. It's nice to hear that she is aging gracefully.

Garry

Table 605 upstairs looking out over our wake trail was terrific. You might of read in an earlier post of mine that I was more than a little concerned about being assigned early seating. We loved it. Will definitely consider it again on our next cruise. My only beef with the dinning room would have to be with our asst. Matrodee (I can't spell). When I asked him if we could have chocolate souffle one night, he told me Century was not equipped to make one. I said funny Meridian was, Zenith was, Millie was, our kitchen in the 70's when I was a kid was. He went on to educate me on specialty souffle ovens that heat from all four sides. Sorry, I had to call BS on that.

Oh my.. what a load of manure.l They are baked in a convection oven. BTW, back in Century's early days, chocolate souffles were a dessert selection on the menu. Mercury and Galaxy as well. Last time on Galaxy was April 2001.

Oh my.. what a load of manure.l They are baked in a convection oven. BTW, back in Century's early days, chocolate souffles were a dessert selection on the menu. Mercury and Galaxy as well. Last time on Galaxy was April 2001.

You don't even need a convection oven, although I'm sure that would be ideal. I tipped him appropriately and made a note in my comment card. It was his attitude and the fact that he lied that bothered me more than not getting my dessert.

I was wondering if anyone had ever had a souffle on Century. Last cruise on Milli they offered dessert souffles two or three times on the menu.

Thanks,

David

It was his attitude and the fact that he lied that bothered me more than not getting my dessert.

Thanks,

David

Was his name Doran by any chance? The only snooty/attitudy Celebrity employee I ever ran across was Doran on the Century last December. He was our Asst Maitre D' or whatever they are called. He was close to being rude and made a racist remark in front of several of us during dinner one night.

Terri

Everyone please ignore his comment about the Turnpike...That is NOT the way to go...pleae stay on I95 all the way to FLL. (We do not want the extra traffic on the Turnpike:D :D :D ) Where did the $200 come from???

I'm glad you saw the pool butlers doing their job! On our cruise we saw one of them actually saving chairs by putting towels and paperbacks on 5-6 chairs. We are up early walking then set and relax a little. Finally one morning we spoke to him about saving the chairs as this was the 2nd or 3rd morning he was doing it. He must have been getting a good tip! :)

Archived