Canadian Rockies

puli

Does HAL still offer a tour of the Canadian Rockies either pre or post  an Alaska cruise? We are 4* Mariners but have been away from HAL for a number of years (while it alone allowed smoking on balconies), and  have recently returned to the fold, so to speak.  In 2020 we  wish to do a Rockies land tour in conjunction with an Alaskan cruise and hope HAL does them . So far Celebrity and RCLL seem to be the only lines that do so.

1 hour ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I don't know if HAL offers it but I do know you can book the Rocky Mountaineer train in conjunction with a HAL cruise.  Here's a link to the RM website for rail/cruise tours:  https://www.rockymountaineer.com/package-search?package_type=2&tab=1

I have read some not so favorable Rocky Mountaineer  reviews lately and also would prefer  the VIA overnight train but am open to all options.

We are doing a train from Toronto to Vancouver with stays in Jasper and Banff. It includes quite a few tours, some meals, etc. we booked that through Railbookers. We are staying an extra night in Vancouver and then boarding the Westerdam to Seward. We go to Toronto on June 17. Our rail trip would have been done the 29th but we had them add an extra night and we board the ship on the 30th for 7 nights. I did book them separately. Here is our rail itinerary.

CN Tower Admission - General Admission - Includes LookOut and Glass Floor Levels
Niagara Falls Full Day Tour
VIA Rail from Toronto to Jasper to Vancouver in Cabin for 2 accommodations YLG SGO352
Depart Toronto (YYZ), ON at 9:30 AM onboard The Canadian
Onboard VIA Rail
Onboard VIA Rail
Arrive in Jasper (YJA), AB at 6:30 AM onboard The Canadian
Jasper Skytram Admission with shuttle from central downtown and local hotels
Explore Jasper National Park Tour (roundtrip from Jasper)
Icefields Parkway/Rockies Discovery Tour from Jasper with Ice Explorer Glacier Tour (formerly Glacier Adventure) & Glacier Skywalk (ends in Banff)
Brewster 1-Way Shuttle Transfer Banff to Jasper
Depart Jasper (YJA), AB at 9:30AM onboard The Canadian
Arrive in Vancouver (VAC), BC at 8:00AM onboard The Canadian
Capilano Suspension Bridge Park Admission - Includes Capilano Suspension Bridge, Treetops Adventure, and Cliffwalk!
Vancouver Lookout Admission

On 12/15/2018 at 7:23 PM, puli said:

I have read some not so favorable Rocky Mountaineer  reviews lately and also would prefer  the VIA overnight train but am open to all options.

Then there is no point to take the train as you wont see any of the views. If you take the overnight, you might as well fly the 1 hour between Vancouver and Calgary over the mountains then drive to Banff  (1.25 hrs from YYC airport) or Lake Louise (just over 2 hours).

The bonus of the Rocky Mountaineer is it is all done in the daylight so you get to see the Rockies in their glory.

To my knowledge, HAL does not do the Rockies but there are options. I would look at the Rocky Mountaineer. Or as mentioned, do the quick flight then venture back into the mountains.

I live in Calgary and am from Vancouver originally. The drive (or train) through the Rockies is spectacular, especially for those who have never seen the vastness of the mountains.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CGYCruisingFamily said:

Then there is no point to take the train as you wont see any of the views. If you take the overnight, you might as well fly the 1 hour between Vancouver and Calgary over the mountains then drive to Banff  (1.25 hrs from YYC airport) or Lake Louise (just over 2 hours).

The bonus of the Rocky Mountaineer is it is all done in the daylight so you get to see the Rockies in their glory.

To my knowledge, HAL does not do the Rockies but there are options. I would look at the Rocky Mountaineer. Or as mentioned, do the quick flight then venture back into the mountains.

I live in Calgary and am from Vancouver originally. The drive (or train) through the Rockies is spectacular, especially for those who have never seen the vastness of the mountains.

thanks! too old to drive and I do believe HAL & Rocky Mountaineer  do collaborate on both pre and post cruise train packages...but will have to explore that.

6 minutes ago, CGYCruisingFamily said:

I should clarify my comment is about the overnight VIA train as you wont see the views. The Rocky Mountaineer only goes through the day.

While it is not the cheapest, it is a true experience.

however, lately it has not gotten the best of reviews....although the RM has no control over the conflict with freight trains which have the right of way.