Which first paradise point or magen's bay? Arrive at 11:30 am

rdevine10

Just trying to figure out what we should do first. We arrive in St Thomas at 11:30 am (in port until 7 pm). We are thinking of doing magen's bay and paradise point on our own. What would you do first? At Paradise Point, we are probably just going to take a few pictures and briefly explore only. Thanks!

Edited by rdevine10
add info

Go to Paradise Point first. The view from Paradise Point faces west so as sun moves in the afternoon the sun may mar your photos. Not so much an issue at Magens.

Also people who got to Magens earlier will start leaving after you get there.

I definitely second what Ms411 said, go to Paradise Point first.  On our last cruise in 2015, we stopped in St. Thomas and went to Paradise Point in the morning for two reasons.  The first was because in the morning the sun was behind us and the pictures came out beautiful and without the glare.  The second reason is that on previous occasions we've had rain showers, although brief, in the late afternoon.  That could cause visibility issues.  I will add that if I was on a cruise to St. Thomas during the times of your visit, I'd also love to go back up in the evening at sunset and when the lights are coming on, if the weather was nice.  That would look spectacular.  I don't know if if the pass is good for multiple visits or not.  A taxi up to the top is also an option.  Just google "St. Thomas, Paradise Point pictures" to get an idea. 

Edited by pghsteelerfan

We would do the opposite, going to the beach first then enjoying PP later. PP is just more enjoyable later in the day. Taxi to Magens (or another beach like Sapphire), go back to the ship to shower/change if you want, then either taxi or tram up to PP. You can then take the tram down and walk back to your ship after.

Magens is a very nice beach and a large Bay, but it will be one of the most crowded beaches, especially if you want to sit in the area where the restrooms and service are. 

Enjoy your day either way!

Hi All -

I have a similar question to the OP. We are in St. Thomas from 8am to 6pm.

My GF and I were hoping to visit St. John (visit Trunk Bay and then either Cinnamon Bay or Honeymoon Bay) and also do the Paradise Point ride as well. Was thinking of the plan below:

1. Get off the boat at ~8am

2. Grab a taxi to Red Hook Ferry

3. Catch the 9am ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay

4. Grab a taxi from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay

5. Possibly grab a taxi from Trunk Bay to Cinnamon Bay or Honeymoon Beach? (would love to see multiple beaches)

6. Grab a taxi from beach to Cruz Bay

7. Catch the 3pm ferry from Cruz Bay to Red Hook

8. Grab a taxi from Red Hook to Paradise Point

9. Do the Paradise Point SkyRide and Bushwacker from say 4pm to 5pm

10. Back on ship by 5/5:15pm

Questions

1. Is it possible to squeeze in a visit to St. John's and Paradise Point?

2. Besides Trunk Bay, which of the two other beaches would you suggest?

Thanks!

If you are docked in Havensight, and you stick close to your timeline that plan is doable and would give you 4 - 4.5 hrs on STJ. You could probably have a driver drop you at one beach and return to take you to Trunk, just work with a driver there.

You may or may not be interested in another option but I’ll mention it because it’s a very nice day. If you don’t need to actually visit two beaches you could take a short island tour and then spend a couple hours at Trunk or Cinnamon, and then an hour or so in Cruz Bay. When you hop a taxi in Cruz Bay to go to the beaches the driver will offer an island tour that gives you a chance to see some of the history as well as the gorgeous giews of the beaches below. You will then be dropped at the beach where others were dropped who didn’t opt for the tour. This was ~25pp a few years ago and may be a little more now, but that includes the $7pp you would have paid to taxi to Trunk. So the total cost of the excursion to STJ would be ~$66pp round trip.

At PP just be sure to give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship by 5:30, whether by tram or taxi.

Edited by blue_water