Flights out ANC after cruise

tjar13

It looks like Air Canada is running two nonstop flights daily from Anchorage to Vancouver (which is up one from before) this summer, the second one leaving around 4 PM.  I'd take that one if you want a nonstop; however you might look at flights via Seattle, of which there are many more daily departures (every hour or so) and which might be significantly cheaper.

The Seward cruise terminal is little over 120 miles to the airport, so suggest allowing 2.5 to 3 hours for the bus journey. 

Personally, we prefer to leave lots of time in the schedule, so I would plan to arrive at the airport around Noon and would consider any flights after 14:00

Alaska Airlines has a lot of flights via Seattle to Vancouver.  10 flights between noon and 6:00 PM with connections at Seattle to Vancouver. Since the Seattle to Vancouver segment is Horizon Airlines and Alaska owns Horizon there are a lot of options available in case of delays, missed connections, etc. Horizon has six flights to Vancouver between 1:50 PM and 11:10 PM. Main cabin air fare between Sea and YVR runs between $272. and $550 p.p.    June schedule.

I Think you are confirming  my thoughts that air canada 12.55 departure is too tight but much cheaper than the 4 pm flight

Therefore I might consider taking a scenic bus tour  to Anchorage and staying overnight in anchorage and getting 12.55 the following day ( Tues)

my plan is to fly to New York on the wednesday morning from Vancouver.

i will be on a round the world air ticket , arriving and departing Vancouver only , if I could depart Seattle much easier , but not allowed . My two stops in North America are Vancouver and New York then Europe.

Thoughts and ideas appreciated, 

i live on the outskirts of Sydney Australia, my first trip to Canada and Alaska 

I think you might be misunderstanding.  There are many more flights between Anchorage and Seattle than there are between Anchorage and Vancouver, and connecting through Seattle might be both cheaper and more convenient.   You'd still end up at YVR.

you are seeing little of mainland Alaska,  so I would Not suggest-  a "scenic"  bus ride-  hardly worth anything.    Instead,  I'd suggest you look at touring Seward for the day and then taking the train,  to Anchorage-  which IS significant for scenery and grossly superior compared to the Seward Highway.  

www.seward.com    Plenty to see and do,  especially with the jackpot-  wildlife potential and glacier viewing-  of a Kenai Fjords boat tour.     Grossly superior to anything seen  from your cruise ship.   

Frankly-  you may want to give more priority to taking advantage of where you are instead of "cheapest"   transits?      You need a 2 hour window at the Anchorage airport,  so only the later flight-  day of cruise,  would be recommended by me.  

20 hours ago, tjar13 said:

I Think you are confirming  my thoughts that air canada 12.55 departure is too tight but much cheaper than the 4 pm flight

Therefore I might consider taking a scenic bus tour  to Anchorage and staying overnight in anchorage and getting 12.55 the following day ( Tues)

my plan is to fly to New York on the wednesday morning from Vancouver.

i will be on a round the world air ticket , arriving and departing Vancouver only , if I could depart Seattle much easier , but not allowed . My two stops in North America are Vancouver and New York then Europe.

Thoughts and ideas appreciated, 

i live on the outskirts of Sydney Australia, my first trip to Canada and Alaska 

Affirmative, personally I would not be comfortable with a 12:55 departure.

You mentioned RTW flights, which we used in 2015, so am aware of the restrictions. Is the Anchorage to Vancouver flight included as one of the legs of your RTW package? If not included in your RTW package, the Anchorage to Vancouver flight is an additional cost.

We used the OneWorld Alliance and could only make 1 arrival/departure into any airport, therefore, assuming you flew into YVR pre-cruise, I suspect your Anchorage to YVR is not included in the RTW package. If not included, you are probably free to use any airline/flights. We experienced a similar issue with our RTW flights in South Africa, where we purchased local flights in addition to the RTW package.

If you are unlikely to return to Alaska, I would spend more time in Seward/Anchorage post cruise. For options, I would definitely consider the train from Seward, it takes about twice the time as the highway, but the scenery is way better. It departs Seward at 18:00, so during the day you could enjoy a local cruise around Kenai NP.

This wouldn't provide much time in Vancouver, before your flight out, but Vancouver is an easy destination from Australia, with both Air Canada and Qantas having direct flights.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:28 AM, kennicott said:

Alaska Airlines has a lot of flights via Seattle to Vancouver.  10 flights between noon and 6:00 PM with connections at Seattle to Vancouver. Since the Seattle to Vancouver segment is Horizon Airlines and Alaska owns Horizon there are a lot of options available in case of delays, missed connections, etc. Horizon has six flights to Vancouver between 1:50 PM and 11:10 PM. Main cabin air fare between Sea and YVR runs between $272. and $550 p.p.    June schedule.

Ops---Those air fares are ANC to YVR via Seattle---Sorry

Edited by kennicott

Heidi,

you up are correct ANC to Vancouver flt is additional, Air Canada seems to be only airline with direct flights ,I intend to spend 4 days in Vancouver before the cruise.

my choice is between the train or the full day transfer (8 hour) tour by coach staying overnight in Ancourage and 1pm flight the following day.

Air Canada is the airline used from Sydney to Vancouver and Vancouver to New York.

the current rtw fares now allow 2 stops in North America , for me they being Vancouver and New York.

if I select the evening train where would you leave your bags whilst you enjoy Seward environs.

i will research Seward attractions

tom

19 hours ago, tjar13 said:

Heidi,

you up are correct ANC to Vancouver flt is additional, Air Canada seems to be only airline with direct flights ,I intend to spend 4 days in Vancouver before the cruise.

my choice is between the train or the full day transfer (8 hour) tour by coach staying overnight in Ancourage and 1pm flight the following day.

Air Canada is the airline used from Sydney to Vancouver and Vancouver to New York.

the current rtw fares now allow 2 stops in North America , for me they being Vancouver and New York.

if I select the evening train where would you leave your bags whilst you enjoy Seward environs.

tom

Tom - unfortunately, can't help with bag storage, as when cruising we have always used Whittier rather than Seward. I have researched Seward attractions for an upcoming RV trip. Hopefully others that have taken the train can offer suggestions.

Since the flight is outside your RTW fare, you may get cheaper and more convenient flights using Alaska, with a connection at Seatac. Air Canada is direct and you will get the miles, but they are frequently more expensive.

On 12/28/2018 at 11:28 PM, tjar13 said:

Heidi,

tom

You simply drop your bags at the train station.   But,  you will have no access to them until you get to Anchorage.    A top tour choice-   for glaciers and wildlife is a Kenai Fjords boat tour-  needing at least 6 hours on the water.   I prefer longer.  :)     A tour I never miss and repeat over and over.  :)    

Heidi and Budget

thank you

we are leaning to the evening train to Anchorage and doing Kenai Fjord tour

we are booked on NCL Norwegian Jewel arriving on a Monday morning 

is there a shuttle to the train station where I can drop bags and how to you get to the tour departure point to and from the station 

I would presume plenty of taxi s m

Edited by tjar13

My travel agent booked us for a 4pm flight and said that even that might be cutting it too close (8:30 - 11:30am on shuttle, need to be at airport 3 hours before international flight = no wiggle room at all)

As for cost our flight Anchorage to Ottawa is twice as expensive as our flight Ottawa to Vancouver. She said that was the case with Anchorage 😞 

We're flying Anchorage - Vancouver - Toronto - Ottawa to save money. I can't imagine what a direct/one stop flight would have cost.

You might find  flights from Anchorage on the Tuesday morning might ,even with onight in Anchorage,  be cheaper than Monday , morning or lunch time flights don’t have cruise passengers wanting flights so prices tend to be cheaper

look up skyscanner.com

dont rely on travel agents entirely , do additional research 

i am am now planning to get 6pm train stay overnight in Anchorage  and get 12.55 direct flt  to Vancouver .  The saving from not taking the 4pm direct flight on the Monday covers the hotel cost in Anchorage and gives me a day in Seward to do a Kenai fjord tour.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2018 at 8:42 AM, tjar13 said:

Heidi and Budget

thank you

we are leaning to the evening train to Anchorage and doing Kenai Fjord tour

we are booked on NCL Norwegian Jewel arriving on a Monday morning 

is there a shuttle to the train station where I can drop bags and how to you get to the tour departure point to and from the station 

I would presume plenty of taxi s m

I simply  walk  to both the train station and my tours.    But there is a shuttle bus,  be patient-  as they are school buses,  and take time loading/unloading.    I many times, walk faster.   :)     There also is taxi service-   but not in large numbers-   patience here too.  :)    I would suggest-   if no mobility limits,    if you take a shuttle-  you may want to just do this between the ship and train depot.     Without luggage-   it's  a short walk to your boat tour.   

Thank you Budget 

i note on the alaska rail site ticket office opens 10 am but I read somewhere it opens early on days cruise ships arrive.

my plan therefore is to get off ship after breakfast  around 8 30  9  and get shuttle to rail depot checkin bags  and do the 11.30 to 5.30 major marine tour and then with just one carry on ( between both of us) walk back to train depot , it seems a five minute walk.

when do you get seats allocated  I intend adventure class I will purchase online prob about Easter time.

at the moment $A. is very week against greenback , at the moment a ten year low ,

hoping improves a little over next five months , great time to visit here  and no tipping lol 

are taxis readily available at Anchorage  do you know

tjar13:  Taxis are readily available in Anchorage.  And along the side of the Seward small boat harbor (the side the Kenai Fjords national park tours departs from) you will find several gift stores, restaurants, and so forth.  On a nice day it is very pleasant to walk along the shoreline toward a park.