Radiance of the Seas Balcony Rail

I'm wanting to know the size of the balcony upper rail in the Grand Suites. I remember what the one on Liberty of the Seas looks like but am not sure if they are the same. A pix of it would help. The one I remember was oblong wood with a glass wall attached to its outside. From some of the images I've found it actually looks as if the glass is attached below the wood rail that might be 2.5" wide or so.

Edited by masterdrago

I want to attach a GoPro or DSLR to take time lapse images. I've been looking at some of the Ram brand stuff but I don't think they make anything wide enough. I may have to custom fabricate something using a c-clamp but I'll want to coat it with rubber like the Ram to protect the railing material which the pix show is made of wood. I do have a Ram suction cup that I can attach to the glass but may have to do that on the window or door since it might not be tall enough to extend above the rail. Can always mount on outside glass panel since I plan on tethering either camera for security - Don't want the Pacific to eat my new GoPro:classic_cool:

Thanks deepcman. Over 400 pages of clamps at AMZN but those would most likely work well after getting a tripod or GoPro adapter surgically attached. boascobeans, that's the best pix I've seen of the rail. Thanks. I think I'm going to avoid doing surgery on a clamp, then packing it in the already full camera bag and instead use the Ram mount I already have. It looks like the glass is midway under the rail, giving me enough room to "see" over the rail with it mounted to the glass. Also avoids the chance of marring the wood rail. Plenty of places to tether rig.

1 minute ago, masterdrago said:

Thanks deepcman. Over 400 pages of clamps at AMZN but those would most likely work well after getting a tripod or GoPro adapter surgically attached. boascobeans, that's the best pix I've seen of the rail. Thanks. I think I'm going to avoid doing surgery on a clamp, then packing it in the already full camera bag and instead use the Ram mount I already have. It looks like the glass is midway under the rail, giving me enough room to "see" over the rail with it mounted to the glass. Also avoids the chance of marring the wood rail. Plenty of places to tether rig.

Get a tripod with flexible legs (mini-pod style) and a roll of that rubber tape. It sticks like heck and won't damage the rail or the tripod.  Wrap it around the tripod lags and the rail. I use it all the time and it WILL NOT COME LOOSE. But to honor Murphy and his law, don't forget the tether..

Great idea... I've got packed a Joby GorillaPod so just need to pack a small roll of Gorilla Tape. That stuff STICKS! Think I'll do the GoPro out there - it's water proof if it rains and light weight. The DSLR on the sliding glass door with a more narrow field of view. We are at Hubbard Glacier only from 3-5pm so just 2 hours spinning the ship. I plan on being up on deck so I can move around and have max versatility with handheld shooter. This is our 1st and possibly only trip to Alaska - 16 days w/7 cruising. Taking lots of memory cards, batteries and chargers! I asked on the Alaska board for recommended interval on time lapse but still no suggestions. I've looked at several vids of Hubbard and I'm thinking 2 seconds. From my experiments, I think I can get two hours from a fully charged 7 Black battery if I leave several features turned off - 4K off, GPS off, Stabilization off, sound off, and maybe more (WiFi off).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, masterdrago said:

From my experiments, I think I can get two hours from a fully charged 7 Black battery if I leave several features turned off - 4K off, GPS off, Stabilization off, sound off, and maybe more (WiFi off).

I always bring a portable USB charger along.  When charged it can fully recharge my iPhone or Kindle several times. 

About the size of a pack of cigarettes.

I've been looking at some of those. Looks like a promising way to extend remote imagery if not in a hostile environment (driving rain). That's why the Nikon will be high mounted on the window or door (shielded from harms way). It's FOV will most likely be less than 60 degrees wide. whereas the GoPro will be in wide mode.

a GoPro on a GorillaPod with ballhead wrapped tightly around the railing has always worked for me.  No need for additional tape for security, but I have worried (needlessly in my experience) about the Gorillapod shifting such that I have a tilted video.  A safety tether is always a good idea.