Cuba local guides

eyemd1

Sailing 1/15 on the Journey.

Would like a recommendation for a local guides in Cienfuegos and Santiago.

Also-can payment be made to local restaurants in US $? Do they discount the dollar?

Does it pay to exchange Canadian dollars to CUC?

Gordon

We were on the 11/24 10 day Intensive and used Out of the Box Tours in Cienfuegos.  I have recently posted a review on Trip Advisor...it was a terrific experience.  I also reviewed the restaurant they took us to for lunch...San Francisco.

We used Blexie in Havana and that was great as well and I posted a review on TA.

In Cienfuegos we used a ship excursion to Trinidad because of the distance from the ship ( 90 minutes)and only one road (concern about weather and returning on time).  It was ok, but was not "moderate" as described on the brochure from the ship.  I expressed my concerns to Shore Excursions upon return.

US dollars are not officially accepted in Cuba.  Credit cards can also not be used.  A few people said they tipped or paid a bill in US dollars, but that can be an issue.  Money exchanges are in all the port terminal areas and move quickly.  We thought about changing to Euros or Canadian, but when we worked out the fee here to do it and then the Cuban fee as well (tho less than for US), we did not benefit more than a very few dollars, so not worth it to us.  You will have to work it out and see if you can gain enough to make two exchanges.  No CUCs on the ship...all money is highly regulated in Cuba. 

We had a wonderful time in Cuba...enjoy!

AS staled when you get to each port there are exchange booths.  For US$ to CUC they take an additional 10% fee.  Changing Euros or Canadian there is not the additional 10% fee deducted.

We paid our local guide in clean crisp new $100.00 US notes.  That is what she requested.  For purchases including lunch everywhere else we had to use CUC's.  Enjoy

But you will pay a fee, I think 3%, to change the Euros  or Canadians to CUCs.  So a  7% difference, but you will pay something to get those Euros or Canadian dollars.  You have to do the math and see what it is worth to you.  

Some will take other than CUCs, but most will not. 

21 minutes ago, DiamondDiva said:

But you will pay a fee, I think 3%, to change the Euros  or Canadians to CUCs.  So a  7% difference, but you will pay something to get those Euros or Canadian dollars.  You have to do the math and see what it is worth to you.  

Some will take other than CUCs, but most will not. 

You will pay the 3% fee no matter what currency you exchange.  If it is US$ you pay 10% plus 3%.  For all other currencies it is just 3%

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2019 at 11:12 AM, eyemd1 said:

Sailing 1/15 on the Journey.

Would like a recommendation for a local guides in Cienfuegos and Santiago.

We used Hector Hernandez  hectotguidecienfuegos@gmail.com and Roberto Jimenez robe70@nauta.cu both were great Hector was guide and Roberto was driver and owns his own vehicle.  Roberto may be able to do Santiago as he does Havana as well.  Enjoy...Can't wait to go back and would use again. 

Art

• 4 weeks later...

I was extremely satisfied with my guide who also was my driver Roberto Jimenez (robe70@nauta.cu) in our tour to Nicho, Cienfuegos. He was very professional and courteous. I highly recommend it!! Mr Jimenez will turn your trip into an unforgettable experience.

I wish you Great Vacations!!

Edited by 100Fuegos4ever