Upselling in the MDR? Really?

2chiefs

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

You would put it in your general comment section where you also compliment the service of those that gave you good service.

A way to complain prior to that is to fill out the "Attention to Detail" for that is either in your room or at front desk.   I know for a fact they read these and depending complaint make adjustments.    I filled out a complaint about some OVER AGGRESSIVE sales activity and complained -  received a call from the Food and Beverage Director apologizing.

I have done the general comment section but I suspect it falls on deaf ears.  If they really wanted negative as well as positive feedback they would design the survey that way I think.

I also do use the Attention to Detail forms.  Usually I will use them to compliment an employee mid-cruise - I know those get relayed as the staff has thanked me for the kind words.  I have only had to use them once for an issue - as you experienced I got a call very quickly from the affected manager.

20 hours ago, m8zenblue said:

Lol, this topic is really rolling !

Since this about upsetting of services I have a question.

As I said earlier I have cruised on Celebrity twice before.

Each time we were approached many times about purchasing and upgrading of services.

We once upgraded our beverage package from Classic to Premium, it was well worth it, in my opinion.

My question to all more experienced cruisers with Celebrity is can you negotiate the the offers that they submit to you ?

Say for instance they offer a service for $200 can you counter the offer for a lower price and would they accept negotiations ?

On occasion I've responded to a specialty restaurant sales pitch with a counter offer that is sometimes accepted and other times not. The staff person usually says they have to check with the Maitre De , then return after a couple of minutes with a response. If they say no then I suggest they take my cabin number and give me a call if the price drops due to light reservations. I've received a call back on several occasions using this method. Of course you need to be flexible with dining times. I recently dined at LPC at a reduced, reduced rate by saying give me a call, we're available any night for the early seating from now until the last day of our cruise. 

Several 

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:38 PM, Nachosdelux said:

Frankly, Stan, if you can't tell the difference between a customer oriented interaction and one that is sales pitch, then this discussion is wasted on you.

It is one thing to have a staffed table set up outside the Buffet, for specialty reservations.

It is quite another to have your dinner interrupted by a captive sales pitch.

It is the little things that make or break a cruise, and this practice falls in the negative.

BTW I am a long-time Celebrity fan, but just calling it as I see it.

Great response.  It is not one little thing that makes or breaks any experience.  But when the hawking starts intruding into my personal time particularly when I am a 'captive' audience in a sense (at dinner), then it has gone too far and is not right.  There is more and more of this on Celebrity lately and I for one am not a fan.  If I want that kind of behavior I will choose a different cruise line.  I used to get a massage on every cruise.  I got so tired of the endless sales pitches at the end (even when I said no politely, once was never enough) that I now do my massages at home.  Another situation where I am virtually captive (naked under the sheet in the massage room LOL).  

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 2:15 PM, phoenix_dream said:

Great response.  It is not one little thing that makes or breaks any experience.  But when the hawking starts intruding into my personal time particularly when I am a 'captive' audience in a sense (at dinner), then it has gone too far and is not right.  There is more and more of this on Celebrity lately and I for one am not a fan.  If I want that kind of behavior I will choose a different cruise line.  I used to get a massage on every cruise.  I got so tired of the endless sales pitches at the end (even when I said no politely, once was never enough) that I now do my massages at home.  Another situation where I am virtually captive (naked under the sheet in the massage room LOL).  

I've had sale pitches during massages in the past.  I now just say, please allow me to relax during my massage / treatment and anything they have to say to me, they can ask me afterwards.  It's always worked.  I would say the same in a restaurant ... just let me know where you will be after my dinner and we can discuss at that time.  I am not afraid to negotiate for better pricing for a specialty restaurant and oftentimes, if you do show up later, they know you are no longer the one on the spot and it's easy enough to walk away if they don't give you a decent deal.  

Like I've said, I've never had a problem with telling them politely that I choose to speak to them at a more appropriate time.