Future Cruise Credits - Help!!

I had a cruise booked for my now ex-boyfriend and I for a December 2018 sailing. I cancelled it but since I had purchased the travel protection, I received 75% in future cruise credits. I got two letters in the mail - one with future cruise credit under my name and one with future cruise credit under my ex’s name. I called and was told he had to be on the sailing in order for his credit to be used. I argued that I had paid for the entire cruise but they didn’t budge.

Has anyone been able to get around this. Do you think I could book a cruise under his name but change it afterwards? 

I really appreciate any help anyone can offer! I’d hate for the credit under his name to go to waste...

27 minutes ago, Lauramcochrane1 said:

I had a cruise booked for my now ex-boyfriend and I for a December 2018 sailing. I cancelled it but since I had purchased the travel protection, I received 75% in future cruise credits. I got two letters in the mail - one with future cruise credit under my name and one with future cruise credit under my ex’s name. I called and was told he had to be on the sailing in order for his credit to be used. I argued that I had paid for the entire cruise but they didn’t budge.

Has anyone been able to get around this. Do you think I could book a cruise under his name but change it afterwards? 

I really appreciate any help anyone can offer! I’d hate for the credit under his name to go to waste...

OK.. I know I'm going to get slammed for my response.. but whatever..  

Here's what I did when the same thing happened to me.  I booked a cruise with my name and my BF's name.  They applied the credit for both.  Paid the final when due.  Then maybe a week or 2 before the sailing, I changed the name on the booking.   I did not have to pay anything additional and was able to take advantage of the credit.

Your answer is yes.  It's possible to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iluvcruzin said:

OK.. I know I'm going to get slammed for my response.. but whatever..  

Here's what I did when the same thing happened to me.  I booked a cruise with my name and my BF's name.  They applied the credit for both.  Paid the final when due.  Then maybe a week or 2 before the sailing, I changed the name on the booking.   I did not have to pay anything additional and was able to take advantage of the credit.

Your answer is yes.  It's possible to do.

I wondered if that would work

9 minutes ago, Lauramcochrane1 said:

Bumping in hopes to get more opinions!

You don't have to bump on this message board.  Are you looking for another answer like being able to transfer the credit to someone else?  The answer for that is no because they tied the credit to your Ex-BF's C&A account.  It doesn't matter who paid for the cruise.  I paid for both with my credit card as well in my situation.

If you do what I suggested above (which is what you asked), once they get final payment and the credit is applied they don't care (or check).

One lesson learned is to purchase travel  insurance through a broker like insuremytrip(dot)com the next time.  That way you would have gotten a cash refund instead of Future Credit.

Edited by iluvcruzin

33 minutes ago, iluvcruzin said:

You don't have to bump on this message board.  Are you looking for another answer like being able to transfer the credit to someone else?  The answer for that is no because they tied the credit to your Ex-BF's C&A account.  It doesn't matter who paid for the cruise.  I paid for both with my credit card as well in my situation.

If you do what I suggested above (which is what you asked), once they get final payment and the credit is applied they don't care (or check).

One lesson learned is to purchase travel  insurance through a broker like insuremytrip(dot)com the next time.  That way you would have gotten a cash refund instead of Future Credit.

Thank you for your insight! Do you remember how long it took for the credit to be applied? Want to make sure I pick a cruise far enough in advance.

3 minutes ago, Lauramcochrane1 said:

Thank you for your insight! Do you remember how long it took for the credit to be applied? Want to make sure I pick a cruise far enough in advance.

It gets applied as soon as you book.   I would read the letter to see what the terms are for how long you have to use it.  Some must be applied within a year.   Take your time and pick out something you really want to go on.   And if using a TA again, make sure they check that it's been applied.   When the time comes to the name change after final payment, using a good TA will take care of that for you. But be cautious.  Some agencies charge a fee for a change.  It's ok to use a different TA that specializes in cruises for this next booking.