Request Suggestions for Day of Embarkation to Southampton and then back

AnnintheGarden

28 minutes ago, MalibuCA said:

Thank you, BigMike911 for this treasure trove of information!  The more we know, the easier it will be. 

Shelley

Shelly, you are welcome. I was just looking at my voyager personalizer for my next two voyages. I did find that you can pre book the Verandah Specialty Restaurant from the voyage personalizer. There is also a copy of the current menu, called Steakhouse at the Verandah. I will go for lunch as I have a free lunch there, but the food is just so good in the QG, and I can order just about everything I want. I am not real tempted to have dinner there. 

I believe you asked about the planetarium for embarkation day, and I doubt it will be available for a show. The whole staff aboard is busy with the turn around day and people who run the show are probably hauling luggage aboard and to staterooms.

They often have Spa specials on Embarkation day, as the Canyon Ranch Spa employees are not Cunard Employees. Pays to check it out. 

Thanks again, BigMike911.  Our plan for dining is similar to yours.  Since we are in QG, I'm figuring that we should be able to get the best meals and the best special choices there.  We plan to eat all of our dinners there.  We eat a light breakfast and an even lighter lunch so that we can really enjoy ourselves at dinner.  I think that QG will definitely satisfy our needs. 

As for the Planetarium on Embarkation Day, I never expected that there would be a show on that day.  The crew is so busy with delivering luggage, cleaning rooms from previous passengers, greeting new passengers - the job is overwhelming, and I didn't expect a show then.  I was just asking whether or not I should be requesting tickets then for a subsequent day.  You have proven most informative, and I really appreciate that.

It's good to hear about the specials in the Spa on Embarkation Day.  I'm encouraged reading about so many specials during the cruise, too.  I guess it really does pay to be patient and book onboard.

Thanks again for your help.

Shelley

I second Shelley’s comments. This was very helpful.

It must have been the Verandah I was thinking about regarding prebooking. I was thinking we would probably take all dinners in the QG so I was not planning on prebooking. How did you earn your complimentary meal at the Verandah?

I also did not know there were spa specials Embarkation Day so that is lovely.

Shelley and Ann, each meal in QG has a selection of food selected by the Canyon Ranch team. They are lower carb, lower fat and less salt and sugar. They make nice light breakfasts and lunches, but I go to the big stuff for dinner. 

Cunard has a loyalty program, The World Club, with some special benefits. There should be a discussion on their web site or google Cunard World Club, You start at Red, go to Gold(after 2 voyages), then Platinum(7) and after 15 cruises or 150 days aboard you get Diamond which gives you a complementary Veranda lunch. I am doing my 17th and 18th back to back this September.  Once you go to gold you get two extra hours of internet time, four with platinum and eight more with Diamond. You also get a reduction in laundry charges (once you have used all your OBC up.) There are special gatherings for platinum and above including the "Senior Officers Party" which used to be something. Last crossing they scheduled it at 11:30 am the same time their 'star' speaker was giving his last talk, so I missed it. They are modest offerings but I will take what ever I can get for free. 

Next cruise, I got free drinks ($12. or less each ) pre-paid gratuities and $800 On Board Credit, so I doubt I will spend all of the OBC. But I can buy wine for lunch and dinner. By the way if you don't drink the whole bottle, they will put it aside with your table number and keep bringing it until it is gone. I get a red and a white and reorder as necessary. 

At the risk of inflaming some of our European members. I will tell you that I provide additional tips to those who serve me personally. The Butler, the room Steward and the waiters, as you will have the same waiters for the entire trip. It gives them a chance to earn a bit extra. I don't tip the Maitre'd unless he has done something very special for me. He is a senior member of staff and well paid. If you order off menu and it is flambeed a wait Captain assigned to your area of the grill will take charge, I usually give him a small gift. Especially if I have kept him busy with flaming desserts, Beouf Wellington, Chateaubriand etc.  I don't tip the Sommelier as he gets a 15% commission on all drink sales in the QG. 

The Europeans are scandalized by the very thought of giving extra, but you will notice that many of the team come from poorer nations, have families to support so they really seem to appreciate the little extra. I have usually found the bar tender in the Grills lounge to be more than competent and I have a bit for him or her, more if it happens to be Yulia from Ukraine who will memorize your suite number your favorite tipples and take care of all charges with a nod and, will regale you with stories.  Of course, you get receipts. 

I am a generous guy, life has treated me well and I love to share. 

Well with the new Cunard Web site, you cannot find out either. Pathetic for a major cruise line to have such a bad web site. But you can find out here http://www.cunardcruceros.com/almacen/catalogos/CUN_31-12-2021.pdf

There is no longer a discount for White Star Shipping, because they have outsourced that to www.luggageshipping.com. I gather from your posts that you intend to go eastbound and then return on a westbound. If that is the case, you might consider shipping some of your baggage. You can send it domestically to and from the pier in Brooklyn or if you are going one way you can ship it internationally as well. I have done so for years. On one of my first voyages, westbound, I was on a bus to JFK. A couple in QG from Atlanta were also on the bus. He was on a scooter. When we arrived at the Delta Terminal, there were no porters and she had at least 10 big bags. Finally the bus driver, another passenger and I got off the bus and helped her get the bags to the check in desk. I had White Star at the time, and my bags were already on the way home. 

I usually send one 50 lb suitcase. In it are my formal togs as well as other things I might need on a voyage, sweaters, jackets, formal shoes. It is picked up a few days before I leave, and the next time I see it, it is in my suite. At the arrival location I accompany it through immigration and customs, and there is a well marked drop off. 

I am advised by a rep of the new company that their service works exactly the same. If you are doing an over and back and have some period of time in the UK, the purser can arrange for bags to be stored in Southampton between your crossings. 

As you probably have gathered by now, I am an old geezer, so I try to make my life and travel as uncomplicated as possible, so that I can enjoy the trip. Even if you're a young-en you can still take advantage of these little extras to make life more fulfilling. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 4:50 PM, AnnintheGarden said:

I am a complete newbie big to Cunard and to cruises, but my understanding is that the Butler does not arrange for Tickets. The Concierge in the Concierge Lounge handles Tickets for us in QG. 

I too am interested in knowing how frequently the Planetarium show runs on a Crossing. I was surprised to learn that they do not have the same show every time. One person mentioned there were at least two completely different Palnetarium shows on their own Crossing.

I just finished a crossing in QG.  Our butler did arrange for planetarium tickets: twice.  I had misplace (i.e., forgot) my cell phone charger and the Concierge charged it for me. Both were wonderful.

1. Planetarium tickets are usually located on the concierge desk in the concierge lounge. Both PG and QG have access to the concierge.

2. Use the concierge to print out a copy of your charges to date, or confirm any onboard credit. ( don’t need to go to purser)

3. On the eastbound, there will be a UK immigration officer on board. The daily program will tell you hours of officer on duty. They recommend certain decks use certain time slots, but if it is more convenient for you, go at a different time slot. Each passenger needs to bring room card and passport. When you get to Southampton, pick up luggage, it is quick out to the curb.

4. On the westbound, you will go through immigration in Brooklyn. Depending on how much baggage you have, you can self- disembark.  This means you keep all luggage with you in your room until you disembark.  Self disembark goes first. I highly recommend this if you are physically able, as there will be minimal immigration lines early.

5. Definitely recommend eating lunch in QG on embarkation day. If you are not happy with your table assignment, you can mention to Maitre D. You may or may not be able to move. You will have same table throughout the voyage.

6. FYI we travel as a couple, and always ask for a table for 2. However, tables are close enough together that you can talk to your neighbors ( or not) .

7. We did QG just once, the rest of our crossings we have gone PG. in QG, our butler brought the lunch and dinner menus before lunch. If you want to order anything special for dinner ( certain entrees require this), you just need to speak to the Maitre D at lunch..