Request Suggestions for Day of Embarkation to Southampton and then back

AnnintheGarden

I will be making the Crossing for the first time this summer. I would appreciate suggestions for the Day of Embarkation.

Tips or suggestions I have already gleaned from these boards include:

1. Arrive in the attire you will wear to dinner, take the time to see the ship depart NY (passing the Statue of Liberty and underneath the bridge) then proceed to dinner. Dinner the first evening is typically not Formal.

[Would we be late to dinner leaving tablemates waiting to order? Do we excuse ourselves from dinner entirely that first night with apologies to tablemates? This does not seem like a great way to start off with new people. Or perhaps there is plenty of time after all?]

2. Order tickets right away.

[Which tickets? Planetarium? Shows? Or also sign up for lectures and classes? I know the ballet is a new thing and they offer classes. I am not sure which things get booked up right away. I believe there is a special tour of the ship or bridge that is hard to get perhaps that is what needs to be booked early?]

3. Schedule Flower Arranging Class for Early In Trip - then you can enjoy the arrangement the entire trip in your quarters.

[Do they still have this option?]

4. Lunch in Golden Lion

[I read this tip but actually don’t know what is supposed to be special about this dining venue for the Day of Embarkation.]

5. Opt out of auto tip if you wish.

[I don’t plan to opt out, but I know some people do.]

6. Ask steward to remove all foods and beverage from fridge and the water. 

[I understand that Cunard frequently gets confused regarding what passengers have taken. The suggestions was to remove everything and avoid the confusion entirely. Perhaps this is unnecessary.]

7. Check in with Librarian to see if there will be a Book Club for the trip.

[ I am a bit confused about this one as comments here indicate the Book Club often does not happen, but literature I was sent includes it as an activity. Ideally I could bring the Book Club selection with me. I suppose there is a way to find out what the books would be in advance?]

8. Make arrangements for entertaining.

[I plan to host a small event once on each Crossing.]

9. Communicate any special foods off menu things well in advance to make life easier for staff.

[We have vegetarians in our group, but are there any off menu options and suggestions people would recommend?]

I would appreciate comments and also suggestions for other things to do that first day to make a great trip even better. I will be traveling with two children (12 and 15 years old) as well.

I do have a few other questions, but I will list them separately in a different post.

Welcome to the Cunard board, I'll try to answer some of these, the first day on board tends to be busy so don't try and do too much.

1. Arrive in the attire you will wear to dinner, take the time to see the ship depart NY (passing the Statue of Liberty and underneath the bridge) then proceed to dinner. Dinner the first evening is typically not Formal.

[Would we be late to dinner leaving tablemates waiting to order? Do we excuse ourselves from dinner entirely that first night with apologies to tablemates? This does not seem like a greatway to start off with new people. Or perhapsthere is plenty of time after all?]

There aren't any tickets available on the first day, Planetarium tickets are available on the day of the show, sign up for other classes is usually at the first class.

[Which tickets? Planetarium? Shows? Or also sign up for lectures and classes? I know the ballet is a new thing and they offer classes. I am not sure which things get booked up right away. I believe there is a special tour of the ship or bridge that is hard to get perhaps that is what needs to be booked early?]

3. Schedule Flower Arranging Class for Early In Trip - then you can enjoy the arrangement the entire trip in your quarters.

4. Lunch in Golden Lion

[i read this tip but actually don’t know what is supposed to be special about this dining venue for the Day of Embarkation.]
It's special because it's sometimes the only open alternative to the buffet in the Kings Court.

[i don’t plan to opt out, but I know some people do.]

[i understand that Cunard frequently gets confused regarding what passengers have taken. The suggestions was to remove everything and avoid the confusion entirely. Perhaps this is unnecessary.]

[ I am a bit confused about this one as comments here indicate the Book Club often does not happen, but literature I was sent includes it as an activity. Ideally I could bring the Book Club selection with me. I suppose there is a way to find out what the books would be in advance?]

[i plan to host a small event once on each Crossing.]

9. Communicate any special foods off menu things well in advance to make life easier for staff.

Have you notified Cunard in advance that you need a special diet ?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, AnnintheGarden said:

I will be making the Crossing for the first time this summer. I would appreciate suggestions for the Day of Embarkation.

1. Arrive in the attire you will wear to dinner, take the time to see the ship depart NY (passing the Statue of Liberty and underneath the bridge) then proceed to dinner. Dinner the first evening is typically not Formal.

[Would we be late to dinner leaving tablemates waiting to order? Do we excuse ourselves from dinner entirely that first night with apologies to tablemates? This does not seem like a great way to start off with new people. Or perhaps there is plenty of time after all?]

4. Lunch in Golden Lion

[I read this tip but actually don’t know what is supposed to be special about this dining venue for the Day of Embarkation.]

[I understand that Cunard frequently gets confused regarding what passengers have taken. The suggestions was to remove everything and avoid the confusion entirely. Perhaps this is unnecessary.]

[We have vegetarians in our group, but are there any off menu options and suggestions people would recommend?]

I would appreciate comments and also suggestions for other things to do that first day to make a great trip even better. I will be traveling with two children (12 and 15 years old) as well.

I do have a few other questions, but I will list them separately in a different post.

1 No don't wear dinner clothes to check in. Once on board and in your room you will have plenty of time to change watch the departure and go to dinner, unless you are in Britannia early sitting, Then your choices are miss Britannia Dinner and dine elsewhere later. If you are in the Grills, you can dine when you want to.  I presume you know who your table mates are (friends, possibly) Contact them if you won't be there, If you don't know them make your apologies the next evening. 

2. Planetarium tix are offered the morning of the afternoon show. Lectures are not reserved come one come all. Special sign up classes are listed in the daily schedule and you sign up in Connexions usually. 

3. Don't know about the flower arranging class. If you are in the grills you will have flowers in your cabin when you arrive. 

4. Nothing special in the Golden Lion, but some people have lunch there on embarkation. Depends on when you board.

5 Don't opt out until you have determined your service does not deserve a gratuity. 

6. You can have the steward empty the refrigerator if you want to. Other wise you might want some of the items in it. 

7. Check with the voyage personalizer or call Cunard to see if there is a book club for your crossing and what the title is.

8. Make arrangements to entertain. Not the first day surely, you don't know who you want to invite. How many and what day and time.  And if you expect your steward to assist I would hope you would not even consider opting out on the gratuities. That would be a bit much. 

9. Off Menu Food. Well, if you are not in the Grills. there is little off menu option. but you should discuss that with the Maitre 'd or your waiter and see what your options might be.

Next time you ask questions, please let us know what accommodation level you have booked and we can answer the questions more specifically. Your options are Britannia early or late dinner, Britannia Club, Princess Grill and Queens Grill (no set dinner time) That will allow better answers.

Bon Voyage. 

28 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

1 No don't wear dinner clothes to check in. Once on board and in your room you will have plenty of time to change watch the departure and go to dinner, unless you are in Britannia early sitting, Then your choices are miss Britannia Dinner and dine elsewhere later. If you are in the Grills, you can dine when you want to.  I presume you know who your table mates are (friends, possibly) Contact them if you won't be there, If you don't know them make your apologies the next evening. 

2. Planetarium tix are offered the morning of the afternoon show. Lectures are not reserved come one come all. Special sign up classes are listed in the daily schedule and you sign up in Connexions usually. 

3. Don't know about the flower arranging class. If you are in the grills you will have flowers in your cabin when you arrive. 

4. Nothing special in the Golden Lion, but some people have lunch there on embarkation. Depends on when you board.

5 Don't opt out until you have determined your service does not deserve a gratuity. 

6. You can have the steward empty the refrigerator if you want to. Other wise you might want some of the items in it. 

7. Check with the voyage personalizer or call Cunard to see if there is a book club for your crossing and what the title is.

8. Make arrangements to entertain. Not the first day surely, you don't know who you want to invite. How many and what day and time.  And if you expect your steward to assist I would hope you would not even consider opting out on the gratuities. That would be a bit much. 

9. Off Menu Food. Well, if you are not in the Grills. there is little off menu option. but you should discuss that with the Maitre 'd or your waiter and see what your options might be.

Next time you ask questions, please let us know what accommodation level you have booked and we can answer the questions more specifically. Your options are Britannia early or late dinner, Britannia Club, Princess Grill and Queens Grill (no set dinner time) That will allow better answers.

Bon Voyage. 

Thank you for responding and I appreciate the advice. 

Yes, I should have mentioned that we will be in Queens Grill. We will be dining with others at a large table. (We could have elected to eat on our own, but it seems like a missed opportunity to meet other people.) 

4 hours ago, AnnintheGarden said:

4. Lunch in Golden Lion

If you are in QG, lunch will be available in the restaurant. Your luggage will probably arrive very promptly, as will your butler. Do not get the fridge emptied, as the contents are complimentary and will be replenished as you use them. You can order a couple of bottles of complimentary booze for the cabin as well. Ask the butler if you want to change to a different type of pillow.

You can dine at your leisure in the evening, providing you start before 9,  so there shouldn't be a rush.

There is no pressure to arrange anything, just enjoy the ship,and views, and relax.

6 hours ago, AnnintheGarden said:

I know the ballet is a new thing and they offer classes.

Is this a new thing?   This is the first mention of it that I have seen.

It appears the westbound crossing M924 will have the English National Ballet on board.

Thanks 

Vince

22 minutes ago, Dranuc2016 said:

Is this a new thing?   This is the first mention of it that I have seen.

It appears the westbound crossing M924 will have the English National Ballet on board.

Thanks 

Vince

Yes Vince, Dance the Atlantic makes its debut with M924. We will be taking that back home and my daughter is a (young) dancer so we are excited.

1. I don't think of it as "dinner clothes" but the dress code for embarkation day is "smart casual" or whatever they call it now (on the US site they're starting to call the two dress codes "formal" and "gala" but I will not join that party). I don't think it's unusual to wear a blazer and khakis to board, which -- surprise, surprise -- happens to conform to the evening dress code.

If the ship leaves New York on time (5:00PM), you should pass under the bridge before 6:00, and there really isn't much after that worth missing dinner for.

If you're in Grills note that dinner is at the time of your choosing so you shouldn't worry about others waiting if you're not at the table at nominal dinner time. In Britannia they request that you arrive in time to have your order in before 30 minutes after the nominal seating time, e.g., order by 6:30 for the for sitting (6:00 PM). But the first night is a bit of an exception (people arriving late or miss g dinner) since the sailaway fun is happening about the same time as dinner.

2.Will you be in the Grills? Are you interested in (paying for) the behind-the-scenes ship your? Speak to the concierge. If not in grills, I think you queue at the excursions desk before 8:00 AM on the next day. There will be a free ship tour in the schedule on Day 2, but this is just a tour of public spaces so a passenger new to QM2 can learn what's where without having to explore on their own

3. I'm not sure about this one.

4. The Golden Lion serves until 2:00 PM including (usually) on embarkation day. If you're not in Grills its a saner alternative to the buffet.

5. If your booking includes any onboard credit, visit the Purser early in the voyage to verify that the amount you're expecting has been applied. Preferably bring a confirmation from your TA which mentions the expected credit. If there's a discrepancy send an email off to your TA and he/she will coordinate with Cunard. The Purser's office will do the same on their side.

6. If your bring your own wine/champagne or soft drinks that you'll want to chill in your room it's helpful if the minibar contents aren't also in there. 

7. Seems to me that we've been aware of the book club in advance although I don't remember how I learned that. I generally haven't seen a book club on the agenda on our annual Caribbean cruises.

8. Only really applicable if you're in Grills...

9. AFAIK a day's notice is sufficient; e.g., mention your dinner request at the previous day's dinner (We don't travel in Grills). There are off-menu items available in Britannia (Caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, fish, chicken breast, steak) but they're always available with no pre-ordering.

37 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

If your booking includes any onboard credit, visit the Purser early in the voyage to verify that the amount you're expecting has been applied. Preferably bring a confirmation from your TA which mentions the expected credit. If there's a discrepancy send an email off to your TA and he/she will coordinate with Cunard. The Purser's office will do the same on their side

Ah. I was not aware that this could be an issue. I am new to Cunard and only one leg of my trip has these onboard credits. I do not recall which one and am not entirely clear as to how they are used, but I will make sure to add that to my list.

28 minutes ago, AnnintheGarden said:

Ah. I was not aware that this could be an issue. I am new to Cunard and only one leg of my trip has these onboard credits. I do not recall which one and am not entirely clear as to how they are used, but I will make sure to add that to my list.

It happened to us once. I went down to the desk to check on Dec 23 and about $400 or $500 of the expected credit was missing. Of course nothing really got accomplished shoreside until after the holiday but it showed up about midway thru the cruise and then we suddenly had a bunch of credit to spend in a few days.

Onboard credit can be used for anything that costs money on the ship, aside from future cruise bookings, services in the medical center, and currency exchange. If you have wine with dinner or book an excursion after embarkation, those charges deplete onboard credit first.

7 hours ago, AnnintheGarden said:

Thank you for responding and I appreciate the advice. 

Yes, I should have mentioned that we will be in Queens Grill. We will be dining with others at a large table. (We could have elected to eat on our own, but it seems like a missed opportunity to meet other people.) 

Ann as you are in QG, I can be more specific. First you can board amonst the first passengers so you will have plenty of time to change into your dinner things for dinner.  There will be a safety muster at about 4 pm, and doffing your life vest over dinner clothes is probably a bother. 

It is perfectly acceptable to arrive at a large table when you are ready. You will find QG diners tend to dine a bit later than 7 pm. That will give you plenty of time to enjoy the departure and get to dinner on a timely basis. Since you are traveling in summer, I recommend you view the Statue of Liberty and the Verrazano Bridge from the Grills Terrace 11 deck aft unless your stateroom is on the port side, and you can enjoy it from your balcony.  

There is a concierge lounge on 9 deck amidship for Queens Grills passengers. Go there and tell them which classes you wish to attend and they will take care of it. They are very helpful and I encourage you to avail your self of their services. There are coffee, tea and pastries in the am if you don't want to use the coffee facilities in your suite. 

As others have said there is no reason to have your refrigerator emptied, you will not be charged for anything you consume, and it will be replaced daily. You will also be offered two spirits, wines etc. for your larder. If you don't see the spirit you prefer on the list write it in. You will usually get it within reason. Depending on Cunard's accountants mood, it is usually replaced when you empty it.

You should consider visiting the Grills lounge, across from the Queens Grill entrance before dinner or after. There is often entertainment for Grills passengers only,  after dinner. Afternoon tea is also served in the lounge and it is a lot less crowded than the Queens room. 

When you decide to have a small social have your Butler help. He can arrange snacks and canapes, which by the way you will receive every evening. You can ask for the warm ones, but there is usually a lot of food. leave what you don't eat,  no problem. He can arrange for drinks for your guests and will serve at your event. Tip him well for that.  Please don't serve your guests the Pol Acker "champagne" that will be your back up bottle of bubbly, It is not Champage. Seasoned Cunard travelers will recognize it for what it is and if you don't offer it, you won't be embarrassed. You will find a bottle of good champage in an Ice bucket when you first board. You can save that and serve to your guests or enjoy on the spot. 

The QG will be open for lunch after you board. If you bags have not arrived, enjoy lunch meet your waiters and the Maitre d. If you get Ozman you will have the best. He can make sure the table you selected is right for you. Don't hesitate to discuss any issue you might have then or in the future with him. He is a Prince.

As for off menu, the world is your oyster if the have it aboard. Talked to the Maitre 'd and he will make the arrangements for anything you want. And tell you how far in advance you need to make your request, lunch or the day before. Most things can be arranged at lunch. Order Caviar for special or formal occasions or every day if you want. It is usually not on the menu. And don't forget the flaming desserts, they love to do those. 

You have chosen a terrific voyage on the queen of the seas in an excellent class of accommodation . Bon Voyage

8 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

u should consider visiting the Grills lounge, across from the Queens Grill entrance before dinner or after. There is often entertainment for Grills passengers only,  after dinner. Afternoon tea is also served in the lounge and it is a lot less crowded than the Queens room.

Thank you very much for the advice.

I did notice in comments that there seem to be a variety of Afternoon Tea options:

Queens Room

Grills Lounge

Champagne Tea

Godiva Tea

Golden Lion Tea  

I believe the last three cost extra, and I am certain we will skip them unless someone thinks one of these options is truly special.

Is the Afternoon Tea served in the Grills Lounge different from Afternoon Tea served in the Queens Room or is it just a bit less crowded and otherwise the same?

I know there is typically a lecture that ends at 4:15 so would Afternoon Tea still be available in the Grills Lounge after that talk ends?

What kind of entertainment is provided in the Grills Lounge and do they tell you that in advance each day?

3 hours ago, AnnintheGarden said:

Thank you very much for the advice.

I did notice in comments that there seem to be a variety of Afternoon Tea options:

Queens Room

Grills Lounge

Champagne Tea

Godiva Tea

Golden Lion Tea  

I believe the last three cost extra, and I am certain we will skip them unless someone thinks one of these options is truly special.

Is the Afternoon Tea served in the Grills Lounge different from Afternoon Tea served in the Queens Room or is it just a bit less crowded and otherwise the same?

I know there is typically a lecture that ends at 4:15 so would Afternoon Tea still be available in the Grills Lounge after that talk ends?

What kind of entertainment is provided in the Grills Lounge and do they tell you that in advance each day?

Ann, you have encountered one of the problems with a crossing if it can be called a problem. There will be many choices you will have to make for your time aboard. Having done this 16 time, with 17 and 18 coming up I will give you a bit of free advice which you can take or not. Don't wear your self out trying to do everything every day. For example if the lecture you wish to attend conflicts with Tea Time choose on or the other. There will be tea most days of the crossing but the lecture may come your way only once (though every one is recorded and available on your in room TV for later viewing) so you may wish to attend the lecture, or film or what ever. The Tea in the Grills Lounge is the same as the Tea in the Queens Room. Specality teas in Sir Samuels,( Godiva) Champagne in the Champage Bar, and the Golden Lion Pub will have their variety so if you want chocolate have Godiva, Champage, have Champage, though I will pass on beer with my tea, but that is a personal thing with me. 

There are specialty places to enjoy food but its hard to beat the Queens Grill for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I do occasionally go to the pub for excellent fish and chips lunch, or the Boardwalk Cafe on a nice sea day for a hamburger and fries. There is the also Veranda or one of the Kings Court specialty restaurants, but I tend to stay in QG.

There will be a card at your table and lunch and dinner announcing any planned entertainment in the Grills Lounge for that evening. In the past I have enjoyed a vocalist with back up,  a classical piano concert, a harp concert, a classical quartet, and a jazz band. So it will vary. 

By all means enjoy the balls. Even if you don't want to dance go for the drinks that precede them and then go to dinner, and have caviar. Buy the way, don't think you have to have their champagne, white wine or juice on offer. If you prefer spirits, ask for them. 

On a nice sea day, there is nothing better than to be on your balcony,  enjoying a good book for a couple of hours watching the world go by. Please don't feel like you need to do everything that is on offer, remember, there will always be another crossing in your future. When I took my first voyage, I though it was 'the single voyage of a lifetime' and in may ways it was, but it turns out it was the first of many. If you begin to feel like you want another during your voyage, I recommend a visit to the Future Cruise Office and the purchase of Future Cruise Credits. They have cost me $300 per in the past and for that you get the following: When you book a cruise the FCC will be your down payment and you don't have to pay more until the final payment date. You will receive $200 in on board credit, and if the event you don't use it in three years they will fully refund it. It's a can't loose investment.

One of the things I do is to get a copy of the boarding photo to commemorate my voyage. There will be many opportunities for photos, let them take them, but you may not want to buy all of them, The are available in an on line format at the photo office and you can decide if you want to pay for a print. 

There are a lot of ways to spend money on board. Be careful that one thing you don't have to do is buy another suitcase to bring them home in.  If you will be going into London, best to avoid the QM selections of Harrods and Fortnum and Mason goods, go to their stores and buy really nice stuff there. 

I hope you enjoy your voyage and perhaps we will meet on a future one. Cheers Mike.

Edited by Bigmike911
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

There will be many opportunities for photos, let them take them, but you may not want to buy all of them,

Over the holidays I saw a marked de-emphasis of formal-night photos around the dinner table. They came by one night and took individual and couples photos at the table, but otherwise if you wanted a formal night photo they still had the setups on decks 2 and 3 for posed shots.

I've gotten good at completely ignoring the photographers as you're getting off the ship in a port so I can't honestly say they weren't there, but I really don't remember any.

My husband and I are newbies to Cunard, although we are very savvy and experienced cruisers.  We are really looking forward to the QM2.  We will be in QG for our crossing from NY to Southampton.  Can you explain the procedure for getting Planetarium tickets?  Is this something automatically reserved for QG guests, or is it necessary to secure tickets when we embark the ship?  How, where and when do we do this?  Is this something that our butler can arrange for us?  In explaining the procedure, please also describe the schedule when the Planetarium shows are offered.  Are there any other events during the crossing that we will want to secure tickets to attend?  If yes, please share the "how, when and where" for each.

Thanks,

Shelley

4 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

(though every one is recorded and available on your in room TV for later viewing) so you may wish to attend the lect

I had no idea these were all recorded. That is wonderful. Thank you for the excellent advice.

4 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Over the holidays I saw a marked de-emphasis of formal-night photos around the dinner

Until I read the comments here I was not aware that there were photographers documenting the trip. I am not interested in this myself so I suppose it is something you tolerate for the benefit of those who do. 

22 minutes ago, MalibuCA said:

My husband and I are newbies to Cunard, although we are very savvy and experienced cruisers.  We are really looking forward to the QM2.  We will be in QG for our crossing from NY to Southampton.  Can you explain the procedure for getting Planetarium tickets?  Is this something automatically reserved for QG guests, or is it necessary to secure tickets when we embark the ship?  How, where and when do we do this?  Is this something that our butler can arrange for us?  In explaining the procedure, please also describe the schedule when the Planetarium shows are offered.  Are there any other events during the crossing that we will want to secure tickets to attend?  If yes, please share the "how, when and where" for each.

Thanks,

Shelley

I am a complete newbie big to Cunard and to cruises, but my understanding is that the Butler does not arrange for Tickets. The Concierge in the Concierge Lounge handles Tickets for us in QG. 

I too am interested in knowing how frequently the Planetarium show runs on a Crossing. I was surprised to learn that they do not have the same show every time. One person mentioned there were at least two completely different Palnetarium shows on their own Crossing.

Thank you, Ann, for the Concierge tip.  I will look to the Concierge Lounge for tickets.  Is this something that we should do on Embarkation Day, or a different day?  Is there a place on the Cunard website where I can see what's going on during my cruise?  We don't sail until May 5, so maybe I'm just too early, but all I've been able to find is the itinerary and the schedule for gala and smart attire evenings.  If anyone has a schedule from a past cruise, I'd really appreciate if you could share it here so that I can get an idea of what typical days are like on a crossing from NY to Southampton.

Thank you!

Shelley

7 minutes ago, MalibuCA said:

We don't sail until May 5, so maybe I'm just too early, but all I've been able to find is the itinerary and the schedule for gala and smart attire evenings

Oh how interesting. I did not know they let us know the schedule for galas this far in advance. Where do I go to find that information?

I know that you can pre-book spa services . . . but I would not because the daily specials are dramatically cheaper and the spa is apparently never completely booked.

i believe that shows and tours and classes cannot be scheduled prior to boarding but perhaps experienced travelers will let us know if I am wrong.

For some reason, I feel that some specialty dining can be arranged in advance —but I am very likely incorrect so perhaps someone else will advise us.

I went to the section on the website for Booked Guests (or something like that).  Then, I looked at the Itinerary, and the dress attire for each night is listed on the itinerary.  I'm with you - waiting for experienced Cunard passengers to enlighten us newbies!  Thanks for your help.

Shelley

18 hours ago, MalibuCA said:

Thanks,

Shelley

The Queens Grill Concierge can arrange tickets for you to the planetarium shows. They are also available in Cunard Connexions (your ships map will show the location) The daily schedule will describe the show. As far as I know that is the only thing you require tix for. The reason is that the seats in illuminations, the scene of lectures and films as well, has a very limited number of seats as the planetarium screen is lowered from the ceiling and only there are only so many seats to view it. The will be noted by a different colored upholstery. 

18 hours ago, AnnintheGarden said:

Oh how interesting. I did not know they let us know the schedule for galas this far in advance. Where do I go to find that information?

I know that you can pre-book spa services . . . but I would not because the daily specials are dramatically cheaper and the spa is apparently never completely booked.

i believe that shows and tours and classes cannot be scheduled prior to boarding but perhaps experienced travelers will let us know if I am wrong.

For some reason, I feel that some specialty dining can be arranged in advance —but I am very likely incorrect so perhaps someone else will advise us.

The voyage personalizer will list the number of formal days, usually three on a T/A and the theme for each. This will also be listed in the printed documentation you will receive from Cunard about six weeks before your departure. If you have an assigned suite, you will receive pre-printed adhesive luggage tags for your bags. If you have a guarantee suite, and it is not yet assigned, you will have to go to the personalizer and print them out. You then fold them and staple them around your luggage handle. 

The shows, speakers and events will be announced in your daily schedule which will be placed on your mail slot, behind the room number in the passageway. All manner of things will be placed in that cleverly designed place during your voyage, including your dis-embarkment luggage tags, yes there are colored numbered tags for that too. You will dis-embark in groups by color and number. They will tell you that you can go to the Grills lounge, where coffee will be waiting. They will announce the general time for your group to dis-embark. I have found that going to the lounge on deck seven means another trip down the crowded lifts to the second or third deck where you actually dis-embark. So I go there directly and find a place to sit and wait. They do ask you to vacate your suite by 8:30 am. 

You will have placed your large bags outside your cabin the evening before to be collected and staged in the arrivals hall by color. They want to have all the bags for a particular color number combination before they allow you to leave the ship, that way you can collect your bags in the hall and move through Immigration and customs in a orderly fashion.

The groups and order of departure is a bit of a black art. You will have advised the purser of your post cruise travel plans, listing the time and number of any flight you have planned. They will use their skills to make sure you are off in plenty of time to make your shuttle bus to the airport or reach your flight by taxi.  In general Queens Grills passengers have priority. 

My recent experience in NYC is that I am off the ship about 9:30 and have cleared customs and immigration by 10:30. I drop my big bag at White Star Luggage to be shipped back and take a taxi. I fly out of LaGuardia, on a flight that leaves at one p.m. or later. 

I am adding this additional information because the more you know about the procedures the less you will have to worry about.