Port Stanley - penguins on your own

Malemew

Hi folks, 

I was reading a post but cannot find it now. It was talking about being able  to walk from port Stanley to an area where you could see penguins. Not sure if I have imagined it now. Coach travel doesn’t always agree so trying to avoid where possible. 

Does anyone know if there are any actual viewing places by foot or even by taxi with cost. 

Thanks in advance 

17 minutes ago, Malemew said:

Hi folks, 

I was reading a post but cannot find it now. It was talking about being able  to walk from port Stanley to an area where you could see penguins. Not sure if I have imagined it now. Coach travel doesn’t always agree so trying to avoid where possible. 

Does anyone know if there are any actual viewing places by foot or even by taxi with cost. 

Thanks in advance 

We were in Stanley about 2 weeks ago and we didn't hear of anybody doing this . No Coaches can reach Volunteer Point where we went but a 4 wheel drive vehicle is needed . They only hold 4 people plus the driver . We saw 3 kinds of penguins there Magellanic , King and Gentoo .

IMG_5491_zpsfdtgmgys.jpg

IMG_5414_zpsyble9bqv.jpg

IMG_5265_zpstdh9zn6e.jpg

As far as I know, it sounds like you're thinking of Gypsy Cove - I'm seeing reports that it's about a 90-minute walk one way (6.5 km); one can maybe also take a shuttle there and/or back for a modest amount (especially compared to a ship excursion price of about 120 or so). Keep in mind that weather is very changeable and so wise to be prepared for any extended walking (we had no phone service whatsoever in Stanley). Also, there may be wildlife viewing, but it sounds like it will not be up close like some of the excursion tours due to the beach being off-limits for safety (potential mines). Hope this helps to point your research in a good direction!

We took that shuttle.  It waits for you at the Visitor Centre and goes back and forth.  We saw penguins but not up close as the beach wass fenced off due to mines that still needed clearing.  Not sure if that beach is accessible now or not.  Take binoculars.

IMG_3967.JPG

IMG_3969.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

At Gypsy Cove, the penguins build nests all over the place.  You are literally a foot away from ones who are nesting next to the trail.  That said, there are not that many penguins at Gypsy Cove - maybe a couple of hundred, and all are Magellanic,  

Gypsy Cove is walkable from the port, but it is not a very interesting walk.  One couple from our cruise did walk it, but almost everyone takes the short 15 minute ride on the shuttle buses - $20 RT.

P3180428.JPG

We took shuttle to Gypsy Cove from Visitor Centre, can’t remember exact price but very reasonable.   Saw lots of small penguins along walking path and two Emporer penguins on the fenced off beach.  In the town make sure you visit the whale arch monument.  Interesting place, enjoy your day out.

Hi, yahooelvis - We visited Stanley on a December 2018 cruise on the Star Princess. More generally, if you're looking for itineraries with Stanley, the bulk of them seem to be routes between San Antonio (Chile) and Buenos Aires (Argentina) or include that sort of passage through Cape Horn around South America. Princess, HAL, and NCL all popped up in a brief search. Hope that helps!

On 1/16/2019 at 10:05 AM, Gwendy said:

We took shuttle to Gypsy Cove from Visitor Centre, can’t remember exact price but very reasonable.   Saw lots of small penguins along walking path and two Emporer penguins on the fenced off beach.  In the town make sure you visit the whale arch monument.  Interesting place, enjoy your day out.

There are no Emperor Penguins in the Falklands.  You could have seen Kings?