Carnival Drinks Package Question

HarryKane

Hey guys,

I'm just trying to work out if I should purchase the drinks package or not. I'm a big drinker but my wife is not, she probably has a few alcoholic drinks per day and she also drinks soft drinks. 

A couple of Cheers package questions - 

Were sailing outta Galveston on a 8-night cruise so is it true that they charge you for 7 days only as you cant use it on the day you depart from Texas? (no charge on the first day or on the day you disembark?

Me and my wife usually take it in turns to go to the bar - now would she be able to take my sign and sail card with her to the bar and get both her drink and get my drink and vice versa? Surely you don't both gotta go to the bar at the same time?

22 minutes ago, HarryKane said:

Hey guys,

I'm just trying to work out if I should purchase the drinks package or not. I'm a big drinker but my wife is not, she probably has a few alcoholic drinks per day and she also drinks soft drinks. 

A couple of Cheers package questions - 

Were sailing outta Galveston on a 8-night cruise so is it true that they charge you for 7 days only as you cant use it on the day you depart from Texas? (no charge on the first day or on the day you disembark?

Me and my wife usually take it in turns to go to the bar - now would she be able to take my sign and sail card with her to the bar and get both her drink and get my drink and vice versa? Surely you don't both gotta go to the bar at the same time?

• From Carnival's site:
  • Due to state laws, we cannot sell CHEERS! until the second day of the cruise (starting at 6:00am) for voyages departing from our Texas and New York home ports. 
  • as we got to know the bartenders we didn't have a problem going to get a drink for both of us.

As I've shared before the evaluator spreadsheet to determine if it's worth it:

Carnival Vista Cheers Evaluator 2018-08-02.xls

• Like 1

Whether the package is worth it or not is up to you. Generally, I say it's a good deal if you are going to spend close to the amount of cheers or exceeding it. At $860 for a week that is a lot of drinks. You are more likely to get there if you both drink a lot, and lots of sea days will help. If one person isn't a heavy drinker, that may be a concern.

I would also compare other options. You can get a 1 liter bottle for about $110. That is a lot of alcohol. Buy a few drinks a la carte, you might pay half the price total. See what works for you.

Yep, Texas is busted and backwards and you can't utilize Cheers until day 2. For this reason, Galveston is our least favorite port to sail out of, even though it's our "home" port. If we're sailing out of the Gulf, we prefer NOLA, where Cheers is valid on night one. My hubby and I are both big time drinkers on a cruise, so Cheers is 100% worth it to us. Whether or not you or your wife can get both ya'lls drinks at the same time will depend on the bartender and how well you tip/get to know them.

• Like 1