Drink Package on Celebrity. Is Classic enough?

charity709

Hi! 

I'm a first time cruiser heading out on the Celebrity Constellation for my Honeymoon in May.

We got a promotion that includes the Classic Drink package and we are wondering if we should upgrade to the premium package so that we have access to a greater variety of drinks. I've read that there are limited options that are actually included in the $9 range of the Classic package but I can't seem to find any drink menus for the ship online. 

Any opinions/experiences would be great to hear. Would be amazing if someone could point me to where I could find any drink menus online. I called Celebrity and they said they didn't have any lists/menus to share. But I've seen some people have uploaded photos of menus from other cruise lines, so wondering if I could find something like that so we can compare and decide if it's worth it to upgrade. 

Thanks in advance for any comments 🙂

Depends on what you drink , we like the more expensive wine which in some cases is not even totally covered by deluxe package, but if your package is up to 9 then you should be able to order a 12 dollar drink and pay the extra 3 dollars.

Agreed it really depends on your preference. If you want to order specific liquors in your drinks or if you are picky about wine; you’ll probably want to upgrade. The upgrade is $10 a day, so it really comes down to if you’ll spend $10 or more a day in upcharges. We aren’t picky and had no trouble with the classic package. We all found wines we liked and found that the bartenders could make any cocktail you wanted with an included liquor. We did stop by the martini bar a handful of times and paid $3ish to order a specialty martini; but over the course of the trip that was a lot cheaper than upgrading.

you can upgrade on the ship, at any point in your cruise. Would suggest waiting till you get onboard and if you find yourself spending $10+ a day to get drinks you enjoy, upgrade then.

Edited by sanger727

3 hours ago, charity709 said:

Hi! 

I'm a first time cruiser heading out on the Celebrity Constellation for my Honeymoon in May.

We got a promotion that includes the Classic Drink package and we are wondering if we should upgrade to the premium package so that we have access to a greater variety of drinks. I've read that there are limited options that are actually included in the $9 range of the Classic package but I can't seem to find any drink menus for the ship online. 

Any opinions/experiences would be great to hear. Would be amazing if someone could point me to where I could find any drink menus online. I called Celebrity and they said they didn't have any lists/menus to share. But I've seen some people have uploaded photos of menus from other cruise lines, so wondering if I could find something like that so we can compare and decide if it's worth it to upgrade. 

Welcome to CC. We have no issues with the CBP. But everyone tastes are different. If you upgrade to the PBP it will be $10.00 +18% (gratuity) per day. So $11.80 per day. Why not wait until you are on the ship to compare the two BPs and then decide.  Since you are getting the CBP as a perk then both of you are getting it. If one of you wants to upgrade to the PBP the other person does not have to upgrade to the PBP. 

Edited by davekathy

7 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Agreed it really depends on your preference. If you want to order specific liquors in your drinks or if you are picky about wine; you’ll probably want to upgrade. The upgrade is $10 a day, so it really comes down to if you’ll spend $10 or more a day in upcharges. We aren’t picky and had no trouble with the classic package. We all found wines we liked and found that the bartenders could make any cocktail you wanted with an included liquor. We did stop by the martini bar a handful of times and paid $3ish to order a specialty martini; but over the course of the trip that was a lot cheaper than upgrading.

you can upgrade on the ship, at any point in your cruise. Would suggest waiting till you get onboard and if you find yourself spending $10+ a day to get drinks you enjoy, upgrade then.

Thanks for commenting! We aren't picky about brands of liquor and wine at all. I was worried about having an option for champagne/sparkling wine (again, not picky on brand)...which we love on vacation and also about the times we'd want martinis or mojitos something like that.   I didn't realize you could just pay the difference for more expensive drinks. I had read in another review that you would have to pay the full price if it was above $9.   If we only have to pay the difference, we could definitely work within the Classic package. 

2 hours ago, George C said:

Depends on what you drink , we like the more expensive wine which in some cases is not even totally covered by deluxe package, but if your package is up to 9 then you should be able to order a 12 dollar drink and pay the extra 3 dollars.

Thank you! I had read in another review that for Celebrity, you'd have to pay the full cost if it was over the 'classic' limits. If it's only the difference that has to be paid, that's awesome!

2 minutes ago, charity709 said:

Thanks for commenting! We aren't picky about brands of liquor and wine at all. I was worried about having an option for champagne/sparkling wine (again, not picky on brand)...which we love on vacation and also about the times we'd want martinis or mojitos something like that.   I didn't realize you could just pay the difference for more expensive drinks. I had read in another review that you would have to pay the full price if it was above $9.   If we only have to pay the difference, we could definitely work within the Classic package. 

Difference + 18% (gratuity) per drink. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, charity709 said:

Thank you! I had read in another review that for Celebrity, you'd have to pay the full cost if it was over the 'classic' limits. If it's only the difference that has to be paid, that's awesome!

This is from Celebrity's Website on the drink package page and you can click learn more about each package and lists these out like this.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/onboard-packages/beverage-packages/premium-classic-and-standard

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

Sounds like upgrade is not needed classic package has some nice choices if you are not into top shelf stuff. Congratulations on wedding we got engaged on a cruise ship 29 years ago and honeymooned on another 28 years ago , have done almost 50 cruises since.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, charity709 said:

That used to be the policy but it changed a few years back. Yes, you can get all of those drinks on the classic package.

• Like 2

We just got off the Equinox with the Classic package. Our thought was start with the Classic and if we are paying more for the drinks we want, how much? If it makes sense to upgrade, do so. We didn't and walked off with an additional $25 drink charge for the seven day cruise. No need to upgrade for us, very happy with what was offered.

On 1/26/2019 at 12:50 PM, Mike981 said:

We just got off the Equinox with the Classic package. Our thought was start with the Classic and if we are paying more for the drinks we want, how much? If it makes sense to upgrade, do so. We didn't and walked off with an additional $25 drink charge for the seven day cruise. No need to upgrade for us, very happy with what was offered.

Do you possibly know if "canned" soda is included in the Classic or Premium packages?  I just don't like fountain soda!

1 hour ago, pcjr2 said:

Do you possibly know if "canned" soda is included in the Classic or Premium packages?  I just don't like fountain soda!

Yes Celebrity's CBP and  PBP both have canned soda. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2019 at 6:08 PM, charity709 said:

Hi! 

Hi! I am going on my first Celebrity cruise and I have been researching the drink packages (pros vs cons) and the benefit of upgrading to premium. I ran accross a some information you may find useful.. pics of all the bar menus on the Eclispe anyway. Congratulations and Enjoy your Honeymoon 😊

https://eatsleepcruise.com/2018/06/celebrity-eclipse-bar-guide-with-menus/

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We got off the Celebrity Eclipse cruise to Antarctica a few days ago.  We had the Classic drinks package and that was sufficient for us.  We last cruised with Celebrity in 2015 and noticed on the recent cruise they have moved some drinks to the Premium, like Cointreau and Baileys - but we certainly had enough other choices so it didn't bother us.  Have attached a copy of the (well used) list of drinks for the 3 packages.  I presume all Celebrity cruise ships have the same or similar lists.  Hope this helps.  

IMG_0157.jpg

Edited by HappyCamper2018
  • Like 1

I agree, not worth paying the upgrade price. we easily found a choice of cocktails or wines we liked with the odd beer during the day. Only paid the top up cost a couple of times for a martini. Even our sommelier would give us a 'better' wine once they got to know us and we were never charged the extra.

4 hours ago, sewingbee said:

I agree, not worth paying the upgrade price. we easily found a choice of cocktails or wines we liked with the odd beer during the day. Only paid the top up cost a couple of times for a martini. Even our sommelier would give us a 'better' wine once they got to know us and we were never charged the extra.

^^^^^THIS^^^^

I chose to wait and see how often we would pay extra for what we wanted and it was not that often. Way better to stick with Classic and pay any extra for a 'splurge'. 

On 2/20/2019 at 2:58 AM, HappyCamper2018 said:

We got off the Celebrity Eclipse cruise to Antarctica a few days ago.  We had the Classic drinks package and that was sufficient for us.  We last cruised with Celebrity in 2015 and noticed on the recent cruise they have moved some drinks to the Premium, like Cointreau and Baileys - but we certainly had enough other choices so it didn't bother us.  Have attached a copy of the (well used) list of drinks for the 3 packages.  I presume all Celebrity cruise ships have the same or similar lists.  Hope this helps.  

IMG_0157.jpg

Thanks for posting the list! Looks like we have lots of great options with the Classic.

I was very happy to post it as it was what we were looking for when planning our cruise - and couldn't find a list like this anywhere!  Glad I could be of help.  You can get your own copy at Guest Relations when on board. 

We were very happy with the Classic Package - and remember that you can have anything from the Standard Package as well as the Classic Package list.  

Wishing you a wonderful wedding day and a fantastic honeymoon.  🥂

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2019 at 5:46 AM, sanger727 said:

That used to be the policy but it changed a few years back. Yes, you can get all of those drinks on the classic package.

Just to clarify, being able to upgrade used to be the policy but now it has changed to you cannot upgrade (pay the difference)? Just making sure because I am still seeing mixed information everywhere.