Insurance change by TA

ebedore

When I reserved my cruise three months ago, I opted for the insurance because of so many cc'ers recommendations. It has since become even more important as pre-existing issues are becoming more of a factor for me.

Today's mail brought horrible news... my travel agency (won't say which one but they sell Only Cruises) changed companies and no longer offer CSA Insurance. If I want, I can sign up for the Berkley Insurance that they now offer. Unfortunately since I did not sign up with them at first payment they will not cover pre-existing conditions!

According to www.insuremytrip.com it is almost universal that insurance must be purchased at first payment (or shortly thereafter) to cover pre-existing conditions.

I have used this TA since 1996 but will never use them again. Now I guess I have to "go on a wing and a prayer" that everything goes off as planned.

icon_eek.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;8;21;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean

Yikes

I'd want to see a copy of that new insurance and/or tell the TA you have no problem with THEM switching insurance companies as long as YOU get the same coverage you contracted for initially

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/04

Star Princess 10/04

Carnival Spirit 12/04

Yes, I agree w/ Chris. You should be able to get the coverage that you initially paid for. This change is through no fault of your own, and you shouldn't be made to suffer the consequences. Call your TA and explain this to them.

Good luck,

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Monarch of the Seas - '94

Royal Majesty - '96

Countdown to VICTORY

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

If I recall correctly from reading previous posts on this board re insurance - CSA is a company that doesn't have the requirement to purchase it w/i so many days of booking. Suggestion: call CSA directly and see if you can still get their coverage, and book insurance with them. Of course, check with your TA to be sure you have the option to cancel the insurance, with full refund, rather than go with the other insurance company.

~~The best days are SEA Days ~~

Were you billed for insurance at the time of booking? If so, ask where the policy you purchased at that time is now. When I book a cruise and my TA does the insurance [less than insuremytrip] I get an email in a day or two from the insurance carrier. I get a link to download and print the policy. Even if I cancelled the booking with my TA and went with somebody else, I'd still have the same insurance.

If all else fails, you can contact your state Insurance Commissioner. Or the IC in the TA's state. That should shake the tree.

Dan

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till 9/5 Paradise Panama Canal

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Were you billed for insurance at the time of booking? If so, ask where the policy you purchased at that time is now. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I agree with Dan. Something sounds funny.

Wonder if your Travel agent messed up.

I use that company that books 'Only Cruises' all the time....I think I'll ask my agent about this. He told me recently that they were bought by a major company that already owns most of the other big travel sites.

I hope this does not change, what up to now has been a great agency for me.

I think it would be fun to start talking in code about everything.

Like, "My favorite cruise line is the one that sounds like a circus" or "Hey, can you give me the name and number of your Going-Places Wizard?"

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/04

Star Princess 10/04

Carnival Spirit 12/04

You know.......I enjoy that bulletin board......you know the one where they Criticize Cruises.

I'd like to reccommend my Nautical Journey Advisor, artinMay avgineLay

Chris, I think you're on to something....we could develop our own "special" code.

To the original poster..if the TA bought the insurance with CSA originally when you booked the cruise, like they were suppose to, you should have a policy a place and your TA changing insurance companies should have no effect on that policy. Call CSA and see if the TA purchased it when you paid for it. If not, then the TA messed up and didn't do what they were suppose to do.

An FYI to others, CSA offers three different types of policies. One covers pre-existing conditions if purchased within so many days of your trip deposit. The other two don't offer that waiver.

Atom.gif

Next Cruise! Miracle 2/13/05

Triumph, Inspiration, Holiday, Explorer of the Seas, Granduer of the Seas, Glory Hounds I, Conquestadors

[This message was edited by Brneyznfl on 04-08-04 at 09:19 AM.]

[This message was edited by Brneyznfl on 04-08-04 at 09:20 AM.]

I took the advice given here and called BerkelyCare Insurance. They said pre-existing conditions will not be covered because I did not purchase their insurance at the time I booked. They are fully aware that the TA has changed from CSA to them and this will be an issue. She offered no advice.

I'm calling CSA next.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;8;21;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Just wanted to say that my one and only claim was with Berkley, and they paid promptly. It was for a cruise I had to cancel due to a relative's illness. Thankfully, it is the one time I bought my air with the cruiseline(Carnival), so it was easy reimbursement.

Marie

HAL - MAASDAM - June 2004/Canada/New England

RCI - Mariner of the Seas,

Sept 2004(CC Group Cruise)

Carnival Miracle -February 2005

RCI Majesty of the Seas - Spring Break, March 2005

Celebrity Mercury, April 2005

Another update:

BerelyCare has shut me down and said no way will pre-existing conditions be covered now that I am three months since the deposit date.

So I called CSA Insurance at the phone number on the original policy. Sure enough they confirmed that the TA no longer has a relationship with them and that no policy they now offer will cover pre-existing conditions. The rep went on to say that Plan Code 1337-A (which was the one I was given by the TA and have all the documentation) was a special plan that they arranged only for this particular TA and is no longer available.

I checked with www.insuremytrip.com and all of the choices state that pre-existing conditions will only be waived if purchased within XX days of first payment (it ranges from 10 days to 21 days which are long past for me).

It really seems that I am stuck.

Strike One: The TA doesn't offer any help.

Strike Two: The original insurance company doesn't offer any help.

Strike Three: The new insurance company doesn't offer any help.

What next? Letters to CLIA and Carnival Cruise Line just to let them know one of their largest TA's messed up and is unwilling to assist?

I'm confused...so CSA is saying that the original policy that the TA purchased for you is null and void?

Atom.gif

Triumph, Inspiration, Holiday, Explorer of the Seas, Granduer of the Seas, Glory Hounds I, Conquestadors

Yeah, there's something missing here.

The OP said they elected the insurance when they first booked, so there should have been a policy written at that time. What happened to it? The fact that the TA subsequently ceased doing business with CSA should have no impact/effect on existing policies.

Sounds like some serious hanky-panky, or at the very least, egregious negligence on the part of the TA.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

I agree Tf43. Also, the original poster did everything she was suppose to do. She purchased the policy within the time period to cover pre-existing conditions. IF CSA is no longer offering this policy, they should replace it with a similar policy covering the pre-existing conditions. This does sound fishy. I'm thinking it's more like the TA didn't purchase the policy to begin with.

Ebedore, did you confirm with CSA that your TA DID indeed purchase a policy for you when you booked your cruise AND within the time period so pre-existing conditions are covered?

Atom.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The rep went on to say that Plan Code 1337-A (which was the one I was given by the TA and have all the documentation) was a special plan that they arranged only for this particular TA and is no longer available.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to call your attorney or state insurance commissioner.

Unless there's something you're not telling us it sounds to me like you entered a bona fide contract with CSA who needs to honor it.

What the TA is up to is irrelevant.

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/04

Star Princess 10/04

Carnival Spirit 12/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>ebedore Posted: So I called CSA Insurance at the phone number on the original policy. Sure enough they confirmed that the TA no longer has a relationship with them and that no policy they now offer will cover pre-existing conditions.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> ebedore Just to be sure here...........

Did you ask them if they were going to honor existing policies, that were in place before the relationship was severed ???

Have you actually talked to your Travel Agent since you got this notice ?? What exactly did he / she tell you ????

Don't know about CSA but my trip insurance through TravelGuard came with a policy and receipt of payment. CSA can't stop coverage if you paid for it regardless of what they say. Call CSA back and ask to speak to a supervisor.

BTW - is pre-existing conditions an issue with you? I know it was a big issue with me.

Sovereign of the Seas (11/89)

Monarch of the Seas (8/99)

Norwegian Sea (7/02)

Carnival Glory (4/17/04)

Oh my. It just keeps going in the wrong direction for me.

I spoke to BerkelyCare and they will not cover any pre-existing conditions because I did not buy their insurance at the time of booking.

I spoke to CSA and gave them my policy number and was told that that policy was cancelled when their business relationship with the TA was severed....and no current plan they offer covers pre-existing conditions.

I spent the last half hour on the phone with the TA and found a very sypathetic CSR who fully understands the implications. Unfortunately she confirmed that the old policy was cancelled by them and I could get a new coverage with BerkelyCare. I explained that BerkelyCare says they will not cover the pre-existing condition and she understood. She could offer no advice and stated only that she "wished" she could do something to help but she cannot.

Legally I know I have grounds for reparation BUT who wants to go through that? I have the original policy and I have notes on who I called, what was said and when I did it. I have the exclusions in the new policy that deeply affect me.

If I cancel and rebook with another agency, the price has skyrocked since January and I will lose hundreds of dollars in price difference AND fall further down the upgrade fairy's list.

If I risk it without insurance I stand to lose a lot more.

I'm getting sick over this.

I'm in a tropical depression icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ebedore:

I spoke to CSA and gave them my policy number and was told that that policy was cancelled when their business relationship with the TA was severed....and no current plan they offer covers pre-existing conditions.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you spoken to a supervisor with CSA? CSA entered into a contract with you when they issued that policy. They are legally bound to honor it I would think. Also, the TSA's business relationhship with them has nothing to do with honoring the policies they issue.

I would also call your insurance commissioner to get their take on this situation.

Atom.gif

Has the price of your cruise substantially changed?

You are well outside of the penalty window. What about this:

Cancel the cruise with lame TA.

Rebook with someone else, and purchase the insurance. Since it is purchased at the time of booking, your pre-existing conditions will be covered, depending on the policy/carrier that you select.

This seems insanely simple, I have *got* to be missing something. Chris, poke holes in my argument, please.

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

Tef43 that sounds like a good option except I think the OP said the cruise has gone up substantially.

Anyhow, another little clause that insurance companies add to the pre-exsiting requirement is that the booking is suppose to be the first and only for that date of the trip and destination. Not sure how the new insurance company would be able to find out that you booked and cancelled and then rebooked.

Atom.gif

That's why I asked about any price increases.

If the OP is going to use a different TA and different insurance carrier, I doubt that anyone would be the wiser regarding this debacle.

As Chris mentioned earlier, I am sure that the State Insurance Commissioner would take a keen interest in this case.

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Chris, poke holes in my argument, please <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't even notice how far out she was. I agree, cancel and rebook.

With that in mind I can only assume that pre-existing conditions MUST be an issue or we wouldn't even be talking about this.

As Bnfl noted above, she DID say the price had gone up substantially which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me being this far out but it happens. Position on the upgrade fairy list is a weak reason to stick with this booking.

As all this is being discussed I'd be scouring the Internet looking for a similar deal for the sailing. This notion that if you cancel with one TA and rebook with another that you lose your cabin is not always the case, especially if the new TA is a Carnival PVP.

If I cancel my cruise there are not a bunch of wolves waiting for me to give up my cabin and pounce on it. Chances are with good communication the new TA can snag it before anyone knows what's going on.

Regardless, and again; unless there's something we don't know, it sounds like she had a deal and they should stick to it.

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/04

Star Princess 10/04

Carnival Spirit 12/04

Guest nhrich

Did CSA say who cancelled the policy?

If it was CSA, definitely take it to your state's Insurance Commission.

If it was the TA, keep climbing the supervisory ladder until you get satisfaction...even if means the TA has to pay the claim (if there ie one) out their own pocket.

Good luck!

Rich

12/94 Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam - W. Carib

01/96 Norwegian Dreamward - Carib

01/97 Carnival Inspiration - E. Carib

09/98 Celebrity Mercury - Alaska

02/99 Carnival Fascination - S. Carib

09/00 Celebrity Galaxy - Alaska

11/02 Norwegian Sun - W. Carib

03/03 Norwegian Dawn - W. Carib

09/03 Norwegian Majesty - Bermuda

11/03 Carnival Spirit - Panama Canal