NY Pier Upgrades

MarkBearSF

According to this article, NY is about to undertake some major work on the Brooklyn and Manhattan cruise ports. I didn't see anything about improving the Red Hook terminal itself, but one can hope....

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/20144-new-york-cruise-gearing-up-capital-projects.html?fbclid=IwAR01ZNN5MRU24FS7uh_USNP96la6rM15xHQnHQrHDFXRaXqZJl8irsnzWzw

My issues with Red Hook is primarily that there is too little seating in the tiny area outside of the security checkpoint and that the room for Platinum, Diamond, and Grills is too tiny.  And that it's as welcoming as a warehouse.

• Thanks 1

Though Brooklyn Cruise Terminal hasn't been upgraded since Hurricane Sandy, we are happy with the terminal and it's operations. Compared to the Manhattan ones and the mad confusion of West Street, traffic and it's triple decker operation.

At Brooklyn, it may take a while during the initial arrival crunch (easing later on) but it's Ground Level, easy to move through each processing station and straight on board makes it more convenient . Really not looking to hang out there too long.

Besides being bias since it is extreme close to our home, the proximity works for us, not having to travel thru Manhattan and it's distance.

Yes, everyplace does eventually needs upgrading and second look to give it a refreshing look and the increase of passenger load.

IMHO, my vote is for Brooklyn over Manhattan and Cape Liberty..    

After reading the article its not clear if lengthening Cunard's old pier is part of the reconstruction..if not then OM2 will not be allowed to dock at it on a regular basis...I long for Qm2 sailing down the Hudson again as my first 3 crossing did before moving to Red Hook and its shorter  less grand and less interesting sail-away compared to a west side sail-away.. and   passing so close to lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty

• Like 1

The Red Hook terminal was nicer before Sandy.  Haven’t been there for about a year and a half but then the carpet had not been replaced that was there prior to Sandy.  IMO putting back the carpet would lessen the warehouse feel.  It is a much easier port to get in and out of vs Manhattan.  Katherine

2 hours ago, sfbearcat said:

After reading the article its not clear if lengthening Cunard's old pier is part of the reconstruction..if not then OM2 will not be allowed to dock at it on a regular basis...I long for Qm2 sailing down the Hudson again as my first 3 crossing did before moving to Red Hook and its shorter  less grand and less interesting sail-away compared to a west side sail-away.. and   passing so close to lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty

I think that the QM2 is pretty much fated to stay in Brooklyn, no matter what. Although, I dearly miss docking in Manhattan for the more convenient access to Manhattan hotels and sights. (We always combine a visit with our cruises) And that wonderful view as the morning sunlight streams down the canyons of the crosstown streets of Manhattan.

I suspect that she's still too long to permanently dock in Manhattan, regardless of the pier length. It seems most of their concerns for piers 90-92 are for NCL and Carnival ships which currently dock there.