Cruise for 7

Mikiejag

Been pricing out cruises for 7 people, but while I normally just do 2 or 4, now with 7 and some of those are maybes, when is the best time to book?

Looking at NCL, just because they are the cruise line I prefer, but is there any other cruise line that would be cheaper and offer the most flexibility?

For anyone that has done this, is is possible to book two rooms with a few names or everyone?  Then if they cancel or confirm, go up or down on the numbers accordingly?

There will be a minimum of 4 people for sure, but its the other 3.

I am expecting about 7k for rough numbers, May or June of 2020, so more than enough time and want to leave out of New York.

Any advice or what to look for to make this as smooth as possible, while still getting the best deal.

Thanks so much

There is no one "best" time to book. Rather, you should be very aware of the conditions you book under, particularly in regard to non-refundable deposits. The reason is, commonly, if the price goes down prior to final payment, you can get the price adjusted, or at worst case, cancel and rebook at the lower rate. That could cost you any perks you got on the first fare, as well as a deposit, if it was non -refundable.

Whether there are cruise lines other than NCL that are cheaper or more flexible...that will depend on the individual cruise. NCL may be cheaper for one cruise, but more expensive for another, than it's competitors.

Cabins have capacities. So if you think you are going to try to add people, make sure the cabin is rated for the capacity you seek. And understand that if the ship gets to s certain capacity, you may not be allowed more people in your cabin, even if it is rated for a higher capacity.

Nope, all family, 4 kids, 1 girlfriend (to a kid) all 18 and above.

If I book two rooms, with 2 in each room and then add the three, does the cost go down or up?

I am looking at the NYC to Bermuda, coming in at about $7100 for all with two rooms. 

Of course rather have one room for 4 than two rooms for 2.  :)

Cruise prices are fluid, if you add, you will probably be paying new higher rates. You not only have to make sure that the cabins sleep 3 or 4, but that there is lifeboat capacity left in the muster station. It’s easier to remove passengers before final payment than to add them, you are always taking a risk you can’t add them. You are sailing at the start of the peak summer season (expensive), I suspect prices will continue to rise. On our last cruise, DH , ds14 and I had one balcony cabin, dd20, ds19, dd16 and dd14 were in the connecting cabin, which made it feel a little less tight, but 4 adults in one cabin has close to a tent cabin feeling, and one bathroom is not ideal.