Avalon vs. AMA Waterways

supersecdd

I've never been on a river cruise before.  We are considering Avalon and AMA for a May, 2020 cruise from Amsterdam to Basel and adding on Lake Como and Lucerne.  I know that Viking is a good line but don't want to pay in full for 2020 up front.  What are your thoughts about the two "A" lines?  We only drink a little-once a night; we like a Verandah/Balcony on a ocean cruise ship and we like good food and service.  

Debbie in Florida

Hi Debbie

I have been on Avalon and loved that the beds face the wall to wall, floor to ceiling window with full sliding french balcony doors.
We had an amazing time, the food, service, tours and entertainment were fabulous. 
They are all having specials on the cruises. 

I can't speak to Avalon but we found AMA to be a far more luxury experience, even in the lowest class of cabin, than any ocean cruise we had been on.  We opted out of the balcony because we were traveling in winter-a balcony in Germany in December seemed unneeded.  Food was outstanding, especially the included Chefs table, there was a choice of included excursions each day, service was impeccable, cabin was small but very well appointed and bed super comfy.

For what it's worth, discussion in other threads seems to indicate Viking may have backed off from its "pay within 30 days" policy.  I wonder if numbers of bookings were affected.  Though I am booked to travel with Viking in the fall (final payment due 5 months before departure, OK with that), and would NOT book with them again given that policy.

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

For what it's worth, discussion in other threads seems to indicate Viking may have backed off from its "pay within 30 days" policy.  I wonder if numbers of bookings were affected.  Though I am booked to travel with Viking in the fall (final payment due 5 months before departure, OK with that), and would NOT book with them again given that policy.

I never did Viking because I didn't want to pay in full in advance.  When was it that it seems to have changed and was it different itineraries or only 1 sailing?

1 hour ago, supersecdd said:

I never did Viking because I didn't want to pay in full in advance.  When was it that it seems to have changed and was it different itineraries or only 1 sailing?

Others, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was within the last week or two when posters began to indicate that Viking wasn't requiring payment within 30 days of booking?  If I had more time I could look for the thread where this came up.

We did AMA once and it was great.

However, we have done Vantage World Travel three times and it was just as nice and generally about 25% cheaper.

Viking is good, according to people that I know that have take it and their prices are closer to Vantage, but I hate the payment policy.

• 2 weeks later...

You will always get people who will root for their "favourite" line...  Many are loyal - and see no reason to switch if their cruise met (or exceeded) their expectation(s).  We tend to look for itinerary, then date, then price --> IMHO there are as many similarities as differences.  We have travelled with most of the major lines (cruise #14 coming up next month...) and cannot truly identify "the best" river cruise line.   What is really important to you?  Is it itinerary?  Is it the cabins?  Is the price important?  Food is subjective - and really depends on the chef and his kitchen staff.  You have no control over that...  Wine & beer is free flowing on most lines for dinner (and often for lunch) - not sure if you want more alcohol than that.  There are 2 types of balconies on a river boat... the "true" balcony, and the French balcony.  If a true balcony is important - then look for a boat that has these.  But, also look at size of the rooms - and be aware that you may end up rafting on a river boat --> so, if getting up close & personal with others on a boat docked beside you is an issue, then you might want to rethink the balcony.   There is always the main lounge (for sightseeing) and/or the top deck if you want outside space.  Look closely at the itineraries - and, if the itinerary is the same (or close) - and the price is the same - I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.                           

Have fun planning!!                                                                                                                                                                                

Edited by franski