Wait list for sold out excursion

bellemere

I'd like to see something done about adding excursions to your cart only to disappear.   I had read enough on CC to know that you start with the most desired or most likely to sell out and check out immediately going down you list one at a time checking each item out.  

Marriott gives you a countdown clock before the rooms go back to inventory.  You have "14:59" minutes to book in red at the top of the screen and it starts counting down.  I like that.

Regarding the PP and excursions listed on the sailings were not on that particular cruise.  Sometimes if the cruise is going in reverse say "Barcelona to Rome" instead of "Rome to Barcelona"  it can change the time in one of the ports and there isn't enough time to run the excursion.  Or if it day in port is a Sunday or Holiday.  You never know.

Thankyou for that tip about excursions disappearing and I’d always presumed there was a grace period. I do a bit of online ordering and I’ve never known such a thing as needing to pay virtually instantly. Of course they do need a limit but surely 15 minutes is the minimum and a warning message two minutes before. It seems to ne a way of controlling how many excursions people can book that actually suits them. ie you’d be unlikely to get all your preferences by Viking doing it in this manner. And I bet very few people know that they should pay instantly and then try for their next option. 

I really dislike like this way of booking  excursions. I’ve not seen it on any other cruise line and of course Viking can do it their way. But it isn’t a way I like. Maybe other than an Egypt River Cruise that operates differently, this will be my one and only Viking trip. And I am mitigating the risk this cruise by mainly booking private excursions.

But there’s one port I can’t do that. Also happens to be my birthday on that day plus wedding anniversary. I’d hope to get a restaurant booking that night too. But I’m dreading that process too. It’s why I chose this cruise date. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

Thankyou for that tip about excursions disappearing and I’d always presumed there was a grace period. I do a bit of online ordering and I’ve never known such a thing as needing to pay virtually instantly. Of course they do need a limit but surely 15 minutes is the minimum and a warning message two minutes before. It seems to ne a way of controlling how many excursions people can book that actually suits them. ie you’d be unlikely to get all your preferences by Viking doing it in this manner. And I bet very few people know that they should pay instantly and then try for their next option. 

I really dislike like this way of booking  excursions. I’ve not seen it on any other cruise line and of course Viking can do it their way. But it isn’t a way I like. Maybe other than an Egypt River Cruise that operates differently, this will be my one and only Viking trip. And I am mitigating the risk this cruise by mainly booking private excursions.

But there’s one port I can’t do that. Also happens to be my birthday on that day plus wedding anniversary. I’d hope to get a restaurant booking that night too. But I’m dreading that process too. It’s why I chose this cruise date. 

Just curious?  Why can't you book a private tour on that day?  Might be helpful for others to know.

I'm not excited to get up at 3am East Coast time to book.  I did a few private tours on a NCL cruise.  Might do that for Viking Ocean.

Edited by zitsky

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Just curious?  Why can't you book a private tour on that day?  Might be helpful for others to know.

I'm not excited to get up at 3am East Coast time to book.  I did a few private tours on a NCL cruise.  Might do that for Viking Ocean.

Valdez.  I haven't been able to find a private excursion here that works for us and port times.

Edited by Pushka

On 2/7/2019 at 8:58 PM, Fishgerbil said:

I, too, have been experiencing frustration. When our turn came to book excursions for our upcoming cruise to South Africa, SOLD OUT listed by every wildlife viewing excursion. Will Viking do more than just suggest checking with My Viking Journey? How about adding more availability so every cabin class can book excursions?

We really wanted to do the Addo Elephant Park trip, but that was sold out as well. They really need to increase their capacity. 

2 hours ago, Thatname said:

We really wanted to do the Addo Elephant Park trip, but that was sold out as well. They really need to increase their capacity. 

Contact them, and complain.  This is a big bucks trip, they should be addressing their shortfalls.