Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Shows what are playing

We had an entertaining evening with two magicians, also the duo "Twice as Nice" (see Starcruises website for details). Also the not-to-be-missed crew entertainment evening.

average age group

I would say 60-65 (hard to tell, I did not enquire about any official figures)

and nationalities

mostly Australians (which we find a bit boring to be honest)

what sort of dance classes do they have

They had in the afternoons I think latin, classic ballroom and the likes (varied from day to day - details to be found in the daily Navigator)

is the dancing good

unable to answer

what are the bands like

musicians were quite good, easy listening

any comments on the food

very high marks for the food from us (which does not come lightly, as my DH used to be in the industry)

can you get 3 meals a day in the Ocean Palace

yes, except on some port days, when it may be closed during lunch - check the daily Navigator for individual opening times

could you always get seating easy enough

seating was never a problem, as the ship was only approx. 1/2 full (from memory about 450 odd pax)

were the shows good or etc,

We enjoyed the magicians and the crew, Twice as Nice was VERY loud (we were late and had a seat in the front on the side, right by the speakers :eek: )

has the Heidi settled down and was she of help

see previous post - we had Myla who was very good,

is the cleanliness any better and are they watching out more for the chance of infection

Cleanliness was as good as we have always experienced on Starcruises ships, sanitisers at many locations, entry into dining areas manned by staff with bottles

how was the captains dinner

captains dinner was very nice - we had invite to the "officers' table" (large table in centre of room seating 11) which was hosted by the Staff Captain the captain had his wife and children on board). Very enjoyable evening, staff Captain patiently answered lots of questions from the 5 couples present.

any shore ex you would recommend

we did not do any, made our own arrangements, as we had been to all ports previously

how much did it cost for dry cleaning and ironing services

Did not use these services during the short 7 day trip - I was going to take the list and scan it, but forgot in the end.

is there room in the wardrobes to hand a show and clothes stacker

Our junior suite had ample wardrobe space and lots of hangers !

Hope this fills in a few of the gaps for the future cruisers. We certainly had an enjoyable time on the SSG, however, given the choice between the two, we would choose SuperStar Virgo without a doubt. Many people that we spoke to on the cruise had been on both and said they preferred the Gemini and many first-timers commented they enjoyed the small-ship atmosphere, things easy to find etc., so don't be discouraged, these things are really personal preference and liking.

On the last sea day we were also invited to a Gemini Repeaters Reception, during which the captain gave some interesting info about the current itinerary, showed photos of Gemini in dry-dock and also fielded some comments/suggestions from the many assembled passengers.

Hope to have some photos posted in next few days - have been a bit busy with other things ...

WOW Boeckli- thanks for all that info- was great to read and will certainly add to my knowledge. As I've stated before my husband and I are first timers for the Gemini (Did do an 11 day P&O Fairstar cruise in 1993 and from all accounts P&O are more rigid with dining times etc) so all information is being devoured and filed in my head for future use. Once again thanks,

E onboard :)

Star in all aspects make P & O look really old hat . Freestyle Cruising with Star means just that - you run the show, do what you want when you want, dine where and when you want; no fixed time or table sittings. You will notice a huge difference with Star - 4 star boats very comfortable and adequate with 7 star crews and customer service . Above all relax and roll with the punches . Have a great Cruise . First time out in 2004 On SS LEO they had to drag me aboard virtually screaming, could'nt see I how could stand 2 days of cruising . Now 5 cruises later with Star & NCL I am up to 21 days cruises and loving it and already booked Summer for Aus, and waiting new Asian itineraries release to book Hong Kong for 2008 .

Ahh, Twice As Nice featuring Westley and Shelly from the U.S.

They were both cruisers on the Gemini(2005/2006) and were casted in the In-House shorex video that is played on the Virgo and Gemini. Both were around for most of the cities in the video("cameo") but was featured in the Penang part especially where a race was carried out.

Glad that my information is accurate, Myla is one of the more experienced Cruise Director in the company. She did set-up for the Taiwan season, when Music Box and Gypsie premiered on the Libra as well as Street Life onboard the Virgo. Just a short bio of her, hope cruisers will enjoy her presence.

Boeckli, I hope you've enjoyed your cruise, maybe its time to start planning the next! Future cruisers, have fun and enjoy!

Thanks Boeckli

It was good to read the positive comments, I am madly downloading every bit of info and maps that I can get my hands on.

How did you find the buying power of our dollar, unfortunaltly it is crumbling now.

Cheers

Les

Ahh, Twice As Nice featuring Westley and Shelly from the U.S.

They were both cruisers on the Gemini(2005/2006) and were casted in the In-House shorex video that is played on the Virgo and Gemini. Both were around for most of the cities in the video("cameo") but was featured in the Penang part especially where a race was carried out.

Yes, we watched that onboard on-and-off. Quite interesting, with Colin Kerr as the presenter (he still is by far the best CD, missed by many)

Boeckli, I hope you've enjoyed your cruise, maybe its time to start planning the next! Future cruisers, have fun and enjoy!

ssv - if you have a look at my signature, you'll see that we're far past the planning stage - next up NCL Dawn

Thanks Boeckli

It was good to read the positive comments, I am madly downloading every bit of info and maps that I can get my hands on.

How did you find the buying power of our dollar, unfortunaltly it is crumbling now.

Cheers

Les

On arrival in Singapore we withdrew a larger sum of S$ from an ATM (for use on this trip and up-coming stopovers). Then onboard changed smaller amounts of S$ into Thai Baht and Malaysian Ringgit (any leftover will come in handy for future visits) Had US$ (purchased for US trip) to use in HCMC. As I said, we did not do any ship's tours - had wanted to maybe do tour in Ko Samui, but were not prepared to pay S$140 pp (for an 8 hour tour). We had done a round-the-island tour last time already, so took a taxi to a small hotel on the northern Maenam (sp?) beach, the owner of which I met on the net B4 our last trip - had a nice few hours with good swimming there and lunch. Taxis in Ko Samui are relatively expensive (compared to ports in Malaysia). For probably less than 10 km, the driver wanted 300 Baht (around A$11), we bargained him down to 250 and rang him up for the return in the afternoon.

getting very excited now only 5 weeks to go before we sail on our first cruise the gemini out of singapore,,haven't received any paperwork yet so haven't been able to apply for star card.

hope the weather is good in late September

hazel:)

getting very excited now only 5 weeks to go before we sail on our first cruise the gemini out of singapore,,haven't received any paperwork yet so haven't been able to apply for star card.

hope the weather is good in late September

hazel:)

Hazel, you don't have to wait for your paperwork to apply for the Star Cruiser WorldCard - just complete the online application you can find at http://www.starcruiser-worldcard.com/ and when you receive your card, take it along on your cruise (I believe you can still sign up once onboard as well).

Boeckli - Indeed past the planning stage up to 2009! I hope and believe you'll enjoy the cruises, they all look fantastic. I hope you wont forget the Virgo and Gemini and will return for a cruise aboard them soon!

SSV can you answer this question plese ?

When SS LEO & SS VIRGO have visited downunder previously STAR sold a month or so before hand on an available berth basis free berths sector by sector between Australian capital cities (e:g: Melbourne to Sydney). Are they likely to do the same this time with the summer season of SS GEMINI ? as I have friends who are anxious to take a sampler cruise of a couple of nights before committing to a longer cruise out of Singapore .

It is amazing the people who have negative preconcieved ideas about cruising (usually based on a third hand account of someones cruise on P & O on the predicatable Pacific circuit years ago) . However most of these people are prepared to give a short cruise a try in home waters .

It is available, but I would guess that your friend have to book with Star Cruise directly.

6 Days / 5 Nights

Port Klang – Penang - Krabi – Phuket – Langkawi – Port Klang

3 Days / 2 Nights

Port Klang – Phuket

Port Klang – Singapore – Port Klang

2 Days / 1 Night

Langkawi – Port Klang

Port Klang – Singapore

Singapore – Port Klang

Just a sample of short itinerary available on the Gemini and their respective Port Charges + Tax etc. that is in effect.

Im not sure if any travel agent offer this option(I believe there is, but will have to source for it. Pax on Virgo can embark at Phuket for e.g.). Easiest choice would be to call Star Cruises at

AUSTRALIA office(Sydney)

Level 8, 401 Sussex Street,

Sydney, NSW 2000

Australia.

Tel:+(61) 2 9212 6288Fax:+(61) 2 9212 6188

Contact Person:

Mr Braydon Holland

Director of Sales & Marketing

OR

SINGAPORE office

(+65)6223-0002 <- Reservation hotline(IDD charges apply)

I'll also ask around for information on this issue, will post the result here by 7pm tomorrow evening.

EDIT: Oops, I just realise that you meant the Pacific season, I would say chances are very slim as itineraries posted are already divided into shorter trip. I'll nevertheless ask around, and let you know.

Hi All

Where abouts in Koh Samui does the tender boat drop and pick up from. What is the actual name of the bay or beach.

Also is there enough time to do the treks to see the waterfalls or is time better spent looking at markets or such.

Cheers

Les

Hi All,

I received this in the post, looks like they have not "Sold Out" as some would have us believe, 30% discount for early birds sounds too good to be true?

AusIntroBlast.jpg

Regards, Bruce

Hello everyone- flyer looks great Bruce- good opportunities for all in the summer Oz season.

I have a question as usual: checkout at our Singapore Hotel is 11 am and yet we've been told you can check in at the terminal for your cruise from 2:30 pm onwards. Is this the usual time most of you get to the Wharf or have some gone earlier / later etc. I seem to remember someone posting earlier saying they were onboard around 12???

Thanks

E onboard (soon) :)

Hello everyone- flyer looks great Bruce- good opportunities for all in the summer Oz season.

I have a question as usual: checkout at our Singapore Hotel is 11 am and yet we've been told you can check in at the terminal for your cruise from 2:30 pm onwards. Is this the usual time most of you get to the Wharf or have some gone earlier / later etc. I seem to remember someone posting earlier saying they were onboard around 12???

Thanks

E onboard (soon) :)

Hi Hazel

I Think I put in my drivers license number there so they wouldn't not process the application due to lack of a item not filled in.

Would suggest to do the same. Also follow them up with the application with what the status is.

Cheers

Les

Star have run full page adverts in Eastern States Sunday papers last two Sundays ( 12/08 & 19/08/07) claiming both departures ex Fremantle to Exmouth & Broome (departing Freo 26/12/07 & 02/01/08) are sold out, and urging people to book early for other itineraries . Early bird booking discounts of 30 % are pretty standard and in the case of GEMINI's Australian season they have been on offer from from Star from mid May '07 (when bookings opened) with an advertised expiry date of 31/08/07 .

E on board . re your Query re check in time at Singapore Cruise Centre . For which specific departure date, time, ship are you enquiring ? Assuming you are asking about SS GEMINI departure 12Noon 18/11/07 Singapore to Fremantle ; Star has advised check in opens 0930 gate closes 1100 vessel departs 1200 (Noon). Trust this helps.

Hi Boeckli - we had 7023 on our first Gemini trip! Brings back good memories too!

Hazel - ID card number I think refers to Malaysian residents - I had one too when I lived there. So I've left that space blank and had no problems.

E on board I guess you're going to Phuket (not Freo) on 30 September. With a 6 pm sailing you wouldn't want to be there too early so you can check out and leave your luggage with the bell captain in the hotel for storage, have lunch etc then go out.

Bruce, received email with that flyer - hope they fill their cruises to make it worthwhile to return again. Hope you can post your excellent 'West' article here too

And, just out of curiosity - what happens to the crew when a ship is in drydock - particularly when it's a US ship and so many are from Asia? I'm sure my Balinese friends (and all others) working on Gemini would love a week at home!

Vera

WRT crew and drydock - did not get a chance to ask the Gemini captain. From what I have heard elsewhere they stay onboard - I'm sure there will be lots to do without pax getting in the way and probably there will also be things like safety training. It's one of the things I hope to find out from the captain on the Norwegian Dawn (they had an unscheduled two week dry-dock earlier this year) - if I find out more, I'll let you know.

We had a 6pm sailing - arrived early (probably 1.30-ish) at which time they were still checking in pax for the Virgo departure (which is 4pm). We had got straight to the upstairs area from the taxi and there is a lugage receival there as well. Gemini luggage was accepted from about 2.15 on, at which time a line quickly formed for check-in. Tip: If you want to be early in line (and there is more than one of you) stand one person at the check-in line and let the other(s) drop off the luggage.

We got lucky, as Admiral Class pax have a separate line (similar to Balcony and Admiral on the Virgo).