Magen's Bay

ihopfar

Hi,

I think I decided on Megan's Bay for our visit to St. Thomas in May.  However, I notice very few recommendations on these boards.

We like the idea of full amenities and calm water.

It seems funny that it is not recommended because it is crowded, but then who is still going there?  *LOL*

Any downsides besides the crowds?  There will be 3 ships in port, but at least 2 of them are very large ships.

Thanks!

Brad

Magen's is a lovely beach.  It can get crowded on days when there are a lot of ships in port.  I would suggest going early if you can.  Most cruise ship passengers go there as part of an excursion or after shopping.  So, get there early and you should be fine.  

It gets crowded near the concession stand but if you walk left as you face the water the crowds thin out. You may want to bring snacks and beverages with you so you don't have to walk or wait for refreshment.

Most people looking for a beach want to snorkel and Magens doesn't have a reef or grassy bottom so it doesn't attract much wildlife though there's usually something in the water if you don't scare it away.