Anyone have any info about Londonderry(Greencastle)

the mice

We are on the Oceania Nautica tendering in Greencastle for Londonderry on June 24, scheduled to arrive at 11am.  The port website lists this as being 20 miles from the city centre.

I have posted this question on the Oceania shuttles forum, but I think this may only have been a port of call for Oceania once or twice before so I thought I'd ask here on the main board - maybe someone who did this cruise last year might know.  I also posted this in the British Isles port forum.    And I wrote to the port.   

Does anyone know anything about this tender port and if there is a shuttle into Derry?    Other transportation options?

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, Janet- said:

We were on Nautica last year. There was a short tender and a 45 minute shuttle ride into Londonderry.

Do you recall your hours in port, and the shuttle hours and drop-off/pick up point.  We will be stopping in Londonderry, also tendering at Greencastle, on August 20. We arrive at 1:00p.  Tentatively decided to do the O walking tour and then stay in town and take the shuttle back if they are running through the evening (we are in port until 11p).

I've still got the Currents and this shows that, like you, we were there 1300 to 2300. We arrived earlier though, but due to strong winds, it took some time to start tendering. The shuttle dropped us off at the Visitor Information Centre on Foyle Street. Last shuttle back was at 2130.

We walked the walls and did some shopping. It wasn't very nice weather, wet and windy, I hope yours is better.

@Noxequifans Yes, I know it is a tender port and located approx 20 mi from Derry city centre.   I stated that in my first post, but thanks for replying.

@Janet - thank you very much for your information.   It is very helpful.    We are scheduled to arrive earlier (11 am), but maybe our shuttle will run as late.  We don't expect to stay out that late, but, depending on the weather, may stay in Derry until 6 or so.

We are going in June, and last year's June cruise had good weather, but who knows what we will encounter.   We've been in Scotland in late June and had 3 seasons of weather - luckily (or maybe not so) that wasn't all in the same day.

We did quite a bit of research on this port but our Nautica stop here was canceled due to a medical emergency.   The terminology and naming conventions were quite confusing.  Two political factions in NI each have their own names for everything.  Some call it Derry, some call it Londonderry.  The political history of NI is most fascinating and I really hope you visit Belfast.  

We had planned to ride the shuttle into Derry and do a walking tour with a famous guide named Martin McCrossan.  While we were planning, he tragically died unexpectedly and family members were taking over his business.  I just checked and derrycitytours.com is running his tours.  Check it out.  

Other passengers were planning private tours to the Giants Causeway and other famous  spots. We had previously toured this area a couple other times so we were  looking forward to Derry.  

Love, love this area.  

6 hours ago, Janet- said:

I've still got the Currents and this shows that, like you, we were there 1300 to 2300. We arrived earlier though, but due to strong winds, it took some time to start tendering. The shuttle dropped us off at the Visitor Information Centre on Foyle Street. Last shuttle back was at 2130.

We walked the walls and did some shopping. It wasn't very nice weather, wet and windy, I hope yours is better.

Thanks ... that is most helpful.  Now we just keep our fingers crossed for good weather ... about all we can do ... Mother Nature is in charge 😉

3 hours ago, sammiedawg said:

We did quite a bit of research on this port but our Nautica stop here was canceled due to a medical emergency.   The terminology and naming conventions were quite confusing.  Two political factions in NI each have their own names for everything.  Some call it Derry, some call it Londonderry.  The political history of NI is most fascinating and I really hope you visit Belfast.  

We had planned to ride the shuttle into Derry and do a walking tour with a famous guide named Martin McCrossan.  While we were planning, he tragically died unexpectedly and family members were taking over his business.  I just checked and derrycitytours.com is running his tours.  Check it out.  

Other passengers were planning private tours to the Giants Causeway and other famous  spots. We had previously toured this area a couple other times so we were  looking forward to Derry.  

Love, love this area.  

Thanks very much for this information.    Hopefully, we will have good weather and no issues preventing us from visiting.   While our roll call is somewhat active, more interest is in other ports.   A few people are going to do the ship's tour to Giants Causeway.

While I would like to see it, I don't want to sacrifice any time in Belfast, and I think Derry itself sounds very interesting.  Thanks  for the reference to derrycitytours.com .

2 hours ago, the mice said:

Thanks very much for this information.    Hopefully, we will have good weather and no issues preventing us from visiting.   While our roll call is somewhat active, more interest is in other ports.   A few people are going to do the ship's tour to Giants Causeway.

While I would like to see it, I don't want to sacrifice any time in Belfast, and I think Derry itself sounds very interesting.  Thanks  for the reference to derrycitytours.com .

We are on the cruise following yours - departing Dublin on 27 June.  We have arranged a private excursion to the Giants Causeway and surrounding area, preferring to do it from Londonderry so that we can have the time in Belfast to explore that more interesting city.

There is a ferry that links Greencastle with the Antrim Coast Road at Magilligan Point (across Lough Foyle).  The ferry which operates a continuous shuttle service takes about 20 minutes and avoids travelling around through Londonderry itself.

We also hope for good weather.

Edited by rialannah
typo

40 minutes ago, rialannah said:

We are on the cruise following yours - departing Dublin on 27 June.  We have arranged a private excursion to the Giants Causeway and surrounding area, preferring to do it from Londonderry so that we can have the time in Belfast to explore that more interesting city.

There is a ferry that links Greencastle with the Antrim Coast Road at Magilligan Point (across Lough Foyle).  The ferry which operates a continuous shuttle service takes about 20 minutes and avoids travelling around through Londonderry itself.

We also hope for good weather.

I've seen the ferry info - the ship's excursion to Giant's Causeway mentions crossing on the ferry.

Can you provide any info on the private excursion you have arranged on your cruise.   I'd like to look into it as an option.  

Are you in port earlier than 11am?  We're scheduled to be in port 11 am - 11 pm.   Of course, weather could affect tendering conditions.

Thanks.

33 minutes ago, the mice said:

I've seen the ferry info - the ship's excursion to Giant's Causeway mentions crossing on the ferry.

Can you provide any info on the private excursion you have arranged on your cruise.   I'd like to look into it as an option.  

Are you in port earlier than 11am?  We're scheduled to be in port 11 am - 11 pm.   Of course, weather could affect tendering conditions.

Thanks.

Our cruise is identical to yours I believe, so we are also scheduled to be in port from 11.00am until 11.00pm.

I corresponded earlier with Linda (Sailmore) who is on your cruise and she has posted details of the excursion at post 78 on the thread for your cruise.  The operator is Michael Cooper for whom she provides contact details in the post.  The proposed itinerary is much more comprehensive that that shown in the ship's listing and as usual is very cost-effective.

Thanks for the info.   I had seen Sailmore's post.  I have some reservations about the timing.  But I'll go back and re-read the description.   I need to read more on Derry before I decide what to do.   

Appreciate the info.  Thanks again.

14 hours ago, the mice said:

Thanks for the info.   I had seen Sailmore's post.  I have some reservations about the timing.  But I'll go back and re-read the description.   I need to read more on Derry before I decide what to do.   

Appreciate the info.  Thanks again.

The timing was set by me trying to maximize the experience given the the late arrival time, but taking advantage of the late departure time.  I am assuming eating at the Terrace on return.  If you would prefer an earlier return I am sure that Michael would craft an itinerary to match.