NYC Port Arrival Time Getaway

rustyroo

We will be sailing the getaway out of nyc in april.  Ship boarding time is 12:00. What time is best to arrive? Will have a 6 and 9 year old with us, and my parents who I would rather not have to stand for hours....is earlier better so we can get seats and wait? How early? We are bronze in case that makes a difference.

10 hours ago, rustyroo said:

We will be sailing the getaway out of nyc in april.  Ship boarding time is 12:00. What time is best to arrive? Will have a 6 and 9 year old with us, and my parents who I would rather not have to stand for hours....is earlier better so we can get seats and wait? How early? We are bronze in case that makes a difference.

We got to the terminal around 10 a.m. The seating is not as much as let's say Miami and I can't stand that long

so that's why we went early. I thought we had to wait a bit for security to open but can't say for sure.

• 1 month later...

Hey I think we are going on the same cruise!  After some research, we decided to park at the port instead of ParkRight (too many negative reviews of waiting for the car even with white glove service) and plan on arriving at around 10 AM or so.  This seems like a good time as we do not have a priority.  It's our first cruise with a 7 yrs old boy and 12 years old girl so we didn't want to travel by train from CT and drag our luggage. 

WE have sailed on all our cruises with NCL through  the Manhattan Cruise Terminal Pier 88. We live in Manhattan and on cruise day and have car service pick us up at 11:30 and we arrive at the terminal at 11:45. Each time we encounter nearly the same situation.
1)      The line for customs has been a 20 to 30 people. Sometimes there have been (rarely) 100+ people on line.
2)      The line waiting for the cruise check in is 300+ people.
3)      People who have been processed and are waiting to board are 100+ or so.

We are Platinum Plus and have disabilities or are Haven passengers so we avoid the long lines. I hope this is helpful for you and your family.
It would be helpful if our fellow passengers would  enter their experiences.                 

6 hours ago, P_Mcruisers said:

WE have sailed on all our cruises with NCL through  the Manhattan Cruise Terminal Pier 88. We live in Manhattan and on cruise day and have car service pick us up at 11:30 and we arrive at the terminal at 11:45. Each time we encounter nearly the same situation.
1)      The line for customs has been a 20 to 30 people. Sometimes there have been (rarely) 100+ people on line.
2)      The line waiting for the cruise check in is 300+ people.
3)      People who have been processed and are waiting to board are 100+ or so.

We are Platinum Plus and have disabilities or are Haven passengers so we avoid the long lines. I hope this is helpful for you and your family.
It would be helpful if our fellow passengers would  enter their experiences.                 

How is security for Haven passengers?

We normally arrive around 10:15 to avoid the crowds. 

Suite boarding will being before 11:00. Priority boarding by 11:15. General boarding by 11:00

Taste/Savor Main Dining Rooms open at noon for lunch

O'Sheehan's and Buffet open at 11:30 for lunch

Margaritaville opens at noon (for an additional charge). 

Edited by BirdTravels

Just received this texted

Dear Valued Guest,

We are contacting you  regarding an important check in notice for your cruise that departs tomorrow on the Norwegian Getaway. Please read the below message from the cruise line in its entirety:

As you are aware, Norwegian Getaway's sailing tomorrow, April 9thhas a departure time of 7:00 p.m. The ship's port arrival to New York City, is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. As such guest check-in will not commence until approximately 3:00 p.m. 

To avoid congestion, we strongly request that you arrive at the pier during your selected check-in time and no later than 5:30 p.m. 

Please keep your passports, other documentation, along with medication and other important personal items with you in your carry-on luggage.

Thank you for your attention to this notice!

Kind Regards,

The Support Department
American Discount Cruises & Travel
Your Destination for