Chefs Table question

Raison

I am travelling in May and my companions wish to dine at the Chefs Table. I see that it is a degustation menu and I am a vegetarian with a seafood allergy, so many things on the menu would not be suitable for me.

Does anyone know if special diets are catered for at Chefs Table, or should I look at alternative options for myself the night my friends go there?

We are on the Orion now and have eaten at Chefs Table twice. Yes, they will make substitutions for items, including the wine pairings,  you don’t like or are allergic to. Just let them know ahead of time. I am allergic to red wine, gluten and shell fish. 

I remember these menus all consisting of small plates. One of the regular feedbacks were the feeling of not quite enough at the end of the meal. This might be remedied for some if you are able to order a second helping of a course. Has anyone done this? 

I have shellfish allergies and the substitutions were very good. 

Edited by Vineyard View

On our November trip to Cuba, the Chef's Table portions were quite small. Crafted, lovingly plated, but very small. Several folks, including me, stopped by the gelato / dessert station in World Cafe afterward.

Manfredi's, on the other hand, had large portions.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 4:31 PM, Focused1 said:

We are on the Orion now and have eaten at Chefs Table twice. Yes, they will make substitutions for items, including the wine pairings,  you don’t like or are allergic to. Just let them know ahead of time. I am allergic to red wine, gluten and shell fish. 

Thank you for the information! 

When you board, go to the Restaurant and register your allergies and that you are vegetarian. This bit of information will follow you in any of the sit-down restaurants and your waiter will be aware of your restrictions. You will receive tomorrow night's menu the night before and will be asked to select your meal (if you decide to dine in the World Cafe your menu will be delivered to your cabin). The Chef's Table will be ready for you when you get there.

16 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

When you board, go to the Restaurant and register your allergies and that you are vegetarian. This bit of information will follow you in any of the sit-down restaurants and your waiter will be aware of your restrictions. You will receive tomorrow night's menu the night before and will be asked to select your meal (if you decide to dine in the World Cafe your menu will be delivered to your cabin). The Chef's Table will be ready for you when you get there.

When we traveled on the Star in Apr/May last year, friend had dairy issue that he made Viking aware of shortly after booking.  At that time they asked to be reminded a month before we boarded and to mention it again when you board at guest services.  He did all but the last and when we went to the restaurant the first night , there was attitude from his side of the table.  At the pool grill he was harping at the staff serving and asking them questions that i was not surprised they didn't know, having eaten with him here in town.  When he went to the gym, I trotted myself down to the desk and informed them that this was not how i was going to spend the cruise and we needed to get a handle on it.  The next day we were trying to get two excursions back to back and they fixed us a box lunch(I was not aware that flavored chip have dairy in them to help absorb the seasoning.)  Another fit and then I convinced him to go and speak with guest services.  After this the restaurant manager came over and apologized, explaining she had the same allergy so she knew and would had been on the lookout if informed earlier at boarding.  Now he wasn't going to die if he ate it but he was going to be congested.  At any rate, the menus appeared at our door as we went to breakfast in the morning and he would peruse and make his choices and turn it in before we left on our shore excursion.  Anytime we showed at a restaurant where there was table service and gave our cabin number they had notes at the front desk  of the venue.  They have a guy that handles all of these specialties that floats through out the venues.  He come by and discusses if they were able to come up with a possible solution for for him to experience the dish as intended.  They had a discussion if that would be to everyone's satisfaction and then the meal was served.  The waiter would would restate as meals were served and the guy in charge of specialties would come by our table again.  He would also be on the lookout for us at the World Cafe if we did not have requests registered at other restaurants.  So moral is, follow those guidelines I gave you and you should have no problems.

18 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Thanks, I will let them know when I get on board. Appreciate the advice.

47 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

When we traveled on the Star in Apr/May last year, friend had dairy issue that he made Viking aware of shortly after booking.  At that time they asked to be reminded a month before we boarded and to mention it again when you board at guest services.  He did all but the last and when we went to the restaurant the first night , there was attitude from his side of the table.  At the pool grill he was harping at the staff serving and asking them questions that i was not surprised they didn't know, having eaten with him here in town.  When he went to the gym, I trotted myself down to the desk and informed them that this was not how i was going to spend the cruise and we needed to get a handle on it.  The next day we were trying to get two excursions back to back and they fixed us a box lunch(I was not aware that flavored chip have dairy in them to help absorb the seasoning.)  Another fit and then I convinced him to go and speak with guest services.  After this the restaurant manager came over and apologized, explaining she had the same allergy so she knew and would had been on the lookout if informed earlier at boarding.  Now he wasn't going to die if he ate it but he was going to be congested.  At any rate, the menus appeared at our door as we went to breakfast in the morning and he would peruse and make his choices and turn it in before we left on our shore excursion.  Anytime we showed at a restaurant where there was table service and gave our cabin number they had notes at the front desk  of the venue.  They have a guy that handles all of these specialties that floats through out the venues.  He come by and discusses if they were able to come up with a possible solution for for him to experience the dish as intended.  They had a discussion if that would be to everyone's satisfaction and then the meal was served.  The waiter would would restate as meals were served and the guy in charge of specialties would come by our table again.  He would also be on the lookout for us at the World Cafe if we did not have requests registered at other restaurants.  So moral is, follow those guidelines I gave you and you should have no problems.

Thanks for your detailed reply! I will make sure we let them know on board, I don't like to make an issue of my dietary restrictions, but it is good to know I will be covered after I let them know.