Leggings, Tees, Sweats, Main Dining Room Not Allowed?

Lindaru

As an older lady I am seeing change in dressing.

Women are now wearing stretch leggings, jeans and elastic waist knit pants.

Both my husband and I do not see any tuck in clothes anymore.

Longer tops over some type of pant is the normal.

I have finally changed my dress code to grannie pants (elastic waist band stretch) with really nice over tops and for winter longer sweaters. I am comfortable and can go anywhere and be appropriately dressed.

For formal I have a longer jacket, (easy pack, washable and wrinkle free) and camisole from Laura and I get a lot of compliments. Yes, with knit elastic waist pants.

Footwear, I wear Birkenstock sandals. and orthopedic boots, pants or long skirts hide the shoes/boots.

Be happy, comfortable and enjoy the cruise.

• Like 2

Just a thought- I think that your cruise is in the middle of May,and you may experience fluctuations in temperatures.

My DH and I cruised at the end of June into July a number of years ago.

We found the weather in Alaska to be a bit unpredictable,so we packed a variety of items to be comfortable.

We packed turtlenecks and t shirts, scarves and jackets as well as shorts and sandals.

I recall getting off the ship in Ketchikan wearing a turtleneck only to have to return to the ship to change into a t shirt as the temps were near 80 degrees.

You may consider taking some cooler leggings or black dress pants/capris in case the weather is warm during your cruise.

Maybe it is me dealing with hot flashes,but I cannot think lined leggings would be comfortable inside the ship or out in the ports if the temperatures were 60 degrees or above. Definitely your choice.

Enjoy your cruise- Alaska is beautiful !

• Like 2

Thank you, MJSailors!  One of the things I like about these leggings is that I have worn them in the summer and they are not bad at all for that.  Seattle that time of year is also very unpredictable.  We went to visit family in the suburbs and we had everything from fifties and raining with wind to over 80 and sultry.  I was surprised how well I did with the leggings as they are not thick, just a very gentle fleece lining that can breathe.

In the event of real serious heat, I could probably wear my light weight maxi skirt (a silk under layer with a chiffon upper layer) and just launder it in the self laundry if needed.  We are basically only going to be walking around the ports and seeing what is in the shops.

Already have plans for the puffy coat, fleece zip hoodies, scarf I put over my head and around my neck, water proof gloves, water proof hiking boots and purse portable umbrella.

Looking forward to the cruise!

☀️❄️

On 3/8/2019 at 5:24 PM, Lindaru said:

Yes, Elliair . . . and the fact that mine are fleece lined makes it better yet for Alaska.

:classic_smile:

Mine too!  I plan on wearing them for an Alaskan cruise.  Haven't booked yet, DH is having surgery 6-8 weeks recuperation.  As soon as the doctor says he's good to go I'm booking!

P.S.  Wear them - you'll never see the people on board again, and they won't even remember what you wore! :classic_biggrin:

Edited by elliair
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, elliair said:

Mine too!  I plan on wearing them for an Alaskan cruise.  Haven't booked yet, DH is having surgery 6-8 weeks recuperation.  As soon as the doctor says he's good to go I'm booking!

P.S.  Wear them - you'll never see the people on board again, and they won't even remember what you wore! :classic_biggrin:

well how very noir of you :classic_dry:

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

well how very noir of you :classic_dry:

Noir of me?  Tell me now, can you remember who, what, and where someone you saw on a ship wore to the MDR?  I sometimes see men in Scottish kilts, but I have no idea who they are, where they live, or even what they look like.  Nor do I care. :classic_wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, elliair said:

My best to your hubby for great recuperation and results.

The only way someone would ever know what I wore is if someone did a You Tube video and I just happened to be part of the crowd.

😂

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lindaru said:

The only way someone would ever know what I wore is if someone did a You Tube video and I just happened to be part of the crowd.

😂

Would they know you were wearing leggings? Lol!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lindaru said:

😂

9 hours ago, Lindaru said:

I guess it would depend on how up close and personal they got!

😂

Thank you for the kind words about DH.  We see the surgeon today, so we'll know more about when he will have surgery.  Enjoy wearing your leggings!!!!  It's cold here, I should get mine out and wear them out for lunch today. :classic_love:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elliair said:

Thank you for the kind words about DH.  We see the surgeon today, so we'll know more about when he will have surgery.  Enjoy wearing your leggings!!!!  It's cold here, I should get mine out and wear them out for lunch today. :classic_love:

I woke up to 0.6 degrees Fahrenheit today.  Typical for the Idaho mountains even in March.  Enjoy your lunch!

• 4 months later...
On 3/9/2019 at 12:08 AM, Lindaru said:

I came up with the idea that I can wear my long tee shirts (look new, no lettering, no pictures) with a light jacket over them and still be presentable.  Just need to ditch the puffy coat and don the jacket.  Thank you!

He was in Alaska up until 1973.  He had family that lived in Sitka up until about a decade ago.  I imagine things have really changed and this will be an adventure for him, too!

My brother-in-law lives in Sitka, has been there for fifty years.  We have been to Alaska twice.  Weather is unpredictable.  Think layers;  some times more, sometimes less.