Packing for Alaska.

aalonzo2019

I'll be taking two pairs of jeans on our 12-night AK cruise, next month.  I suspect Mrs. XBGuy will be doing the same.

I can't speak for Mrs. XBGuy, but the only reason I take two pairs is to have backup if something catastrophic happens to whatever pair I am wearing.  More often than not, though, I never take the second pair off the closet hanger.

I say zero pairs if you have other options in your wardrobe - or just one if you really like them for days with appropriate temp/lack of rain/for wearing around the ship.

Jeans* are a poor choice of legwear for Alaskan weather - if it does rain and you don't have something waterproof to keep those jeans dry they'll chafe your legs something horrible, suck the warmth right out of you, take forever to dry in the cabin, and it's a very rare pair that fits loose enough you can layer anything under them for warmth. If you don't own any other kinds of pants, buy a cheap pair of waterproof ones you can pull on over the jeans - but if you do have other pants which would dry more quickly/are better for layering take those instead for your shore days.

*of course if you're talking about 'jeans' made with spandex and light cotton rather than the heavier traditional fabric you might get more useful mileage out of them...

47 minutes ago, martincath said:

*of course if you're talking about 'jeans' made with spandex and light cotton rather than the heavier traditional fabric you might get more useful mileage out of them...

Jeans made with spandex -- oh the horror!  :classic_biggrin: