Mykonos cruise port question.

willtup5

We will arrive in mykonos in september 18th. There are at least 5 other cruise ships in port. Question: Where does Holland America come into . Do they come into the new port or the old port closer to mykonos town?

Question: Is this a tender port or does the ship dock. 

I tried to look at specific port sites but couldn't get much info to my questions.  

Your help is much appreciated. 

It is both a tender port and a dock (although not in town center).  I think where you dock or tender changes from day to day depending on how many ships are in port.  It might also depend on who gets there first.  We had an arrival time of just after midnight and docked.

2 hours ago, mskaufman said:

It is both a tender port and a dock (although not in town center).  I think where you dock or tender changes from day to day depending on how many ships are in port.  It might also depend on who gets there first.  We had an arrival time of just after midnight and docked.

And we were due to berth but our captain elected to forgo the berth because of the prevailing conditions.

This is one port where tendering is actually preferable to bething !

The cruise berth is about 2 miles from the town - too far to walk especially if hot cos there's little shade.

But the tenders drop you right in the town harbour - super-convenient.

And in our case (most cases?) tenders are operated by local boats - super-quick, super-efficient. 

JB :classic_smile:

How can you determine how many ships are in port with you?  Sorry if this has been asked a mllion times before- this is my 1st Mediterranean cruise and I'm working my way through all of the available information.

For most Med ports like Barcelona, Livorno, Civiavecchia/Rome, Naples, Venice, Istanbul,  etc the number of ships in port is pretty irrelevant. Cruisers are an insignificant proportion of visitors to those places.

But it can make a big difference at smaller ports like Mykonos or Santorini, same as it does for many Caribbean islands.

Most-accurate tend to be the individual port websites, but some port websites don't have lists and some ports don't even have websites. Santorini for instance has no port for cruise ships, they all moor off-shore - and I'm none-too-sure that there's an official website with the information that you need.

There are a number of websites which list ships in port on a given day.

Try Cruisett, Cruisemapper, Crew-center, Cruisetimetables. But treat their results with caution, they tend to be inaccurate or incomplete - or both. Just choose a day and port, and check those websites - I doubt you'll find many with identical results.:classic_rolleyes: 

And one thing that website rarely include is the arrival / departure times for ships, or the size of those ships. 

So those which might  list  7 ships in Santorini on your day there (:classic_ohmy: a real problem there because of the limited facilities for getting between town &  tender pier ) won't mention that Ship 1 is there 8am to 1pm, Ship 2 is there 9.30am to 5pm, Ship 3 is there 1pm to 7pm, Ship 4 is there from 2pm to 9pm, Ship 5 from 10.30 to 4pm, and Ships 6 & 7 are both tiddlers & there from 9am to 6pm :classic_smile:  

So you'd need to research into each ship's itinerary. 

You can get a broad idea of potential problems, but you won't get an accurate forecast.

JB  :classic_smile:

• Like 1