Alaska

lodge172

Sorry Bell Boy but I would differ.

Most of the OP's ports of call are in US Alaska therefore an ESTA will be required...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/10/15/one-way-to-do-skagway-part-1/

2019636767_USCanadianbordercrossingcopy.jpg.e2ce226d9a4475466742bd0daf56f7c0.jpg

Taking the White Pass Scenic Railway from Skagway one crosses from the U.S. into Canada.

Thank you SR for the clarification, you are quite correct. I was focusing on the need for an eTA when arriving into Canada 'by air', apparently if we arrive by sea I understand one does not need the eTA. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Thank you SR for the clarification, you are quite correct. I was focusing on the need for an eTA when arriving into Canada 'by air', apparently if we arrive by sea I understand one does not need the eTA. 

You’re correct; no eTA for Canada if arriving by sea.

20 hours ago, lodge172 said:

Hi we are booked on QE Alaska cruise in June. Starting from Vancouver, does anyone know if we will need an ESTA. I know we need a eTA.

Thanks

Assuming your flights are direct from 'Not the USA' into Canada, in theory you can skip applying for an ESTA in advance and just fill out forms at the border (in this case, at the pier in Vancouver where you will be pre-cleared for entering the US). However it's almost totally pointless since you will only save virtually no money (it's $6 cash to be processed manually) and will add to the complexity of the already-longer-than-normal-because-of-preclearance boarding - so I'd just do it online instead and that way you know you have approval to travel in advance too.

NB: this assumes that you are eligible for Visa-free travel to the US, i.e. a citizen of one of the Visa Waiver countries. If not, you don't need an ESTA but you will need an actual Visa or you will definitely NOT be admitted!!!!