HAL First Timer

HollyLaLa

Hi All -- the information here is plentiful, and invaluable.  Thanks to all of the in-the-know cruisers who frequent and share information here!  My question is one that I haven't seen yet (and if it's been asked, and I missed it, my apologies!).  I'm wondering if a "Behind the Scenes" tour is something that is available?  We'll be on the Nieuw Amsterdam this summer and I'd just love to see the inner workings of the ship.  Thanks!

• Like 1

I think it depends upon the ship and the number of people who want to do the tour.

My husband did the tour on the Eurodam, it wasn't offered on the Rotterdam.  The tour cost $150.

The tour took about 2 hours, and there were 6 to 8 participants.  They got to see a LOT of stuff that most people never get to see.  He also got a few 'gifts' - a HAL mug, a cookbook, a picture and a hat.

They met in a bar before the tour and after.  Drinks were included.  He thought it was worth it.

They usually have free tours of the galley.

Ask at the front desk and see what is available when you board the ship.

I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All -- the information here is plentiful, and invaluable.  Thanks to all of the in-the-know cruisers who frequent and share information here!  My question is one that I haven't seen yet (and if it's been asked, and I missed it, my apologies!).  I'm wondering if a "Behind the Scenes" tour is something that is available?  We'll be on the Nieuw Amsterdam this summer and I'd just love to see the inner workings of the ship.  Thanks!

Read the When and Where carefully the first few days. It may be advertised there once as the tour usually sells out quickly.

Sometimes they don’t offer the tour at all.

Ask the front desk early on if they plan to offer the tour.

www.theinsidecabin.com
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam it was not listed in the When and Where program.

People interested in doing a ship tour should go to the front desk on embarkation day and ask if there is going to be one.  If so, sign up then.  If there is one, the front desk will give you the date and time to meet.  It is $150 per person.

• Like 2