Carnival Paradise April 13, 2019 - Countdown to Cuba Cruise Review

MistyRo76

19 hours ago, future1sttimecruiser said:

This is very helpful 😊 I sail on the Paradise in about a month. Which Internet Plan did you purchase - Social or Value? TIA

I just chose the social plan. I only wanted it so I could stay in touch with my little one back at home via FB messages (she's only four but loves getting and sending emojis - and I could check in with grandma as well!). 

2 hours ago, JaniceB said:

Thank you for the review, it was very well written.

Thank you! I did the last parts from my phone so there were definitely more typos than I would have liked! lol 

8 minutes ago, virginiab said:

Thank you for this review. I wasn't sure that Havana would interest me, but your descriptions and photos have turned my thinking around!

That's great! It really is a neat city....like going back to a different era! I wanted to see if before it became too modernized. Right now it's very much a mix of old and new. But central Havana is definitely more of the old. I hope you enjoy it if you decide to go! 

Thanks so much for your wonderful review!  I really enjoyed reading it and your photos are fantastic.  We also stayed in Ybor City in 2017 before taking a NCL cruise.  I'm big on Hilton properties, and picked the Hilton Garden Inn.  It was great.  Super clean property, nice pool and the usual nice HGI rooms.  One night we did happy hour out on one of the patios, and the bartender gave us outstanding service.  He would take our drink orders outside and also deliver them out there.  After awhile, he asked if we were hungry and brought out menus just in case.  Well, we ended up eating there and the food was good.  The bartender also did double duty as our server.  The HGI was really worth the extra $$.  There is also a liquor store about a block and a half from that hotel, and it felt very safe walking over there (daytime).  By the way, not sure if they had it when you booked your Cuba cruise.  But if you have any current Carnival cruises booked, they now offer the Chef's table booking on the specialty dining reservations on the website when you go to your booking.  When you submit the request, you receive an email confirmation within a week or two.  I'm really excited to try their Chef's table for the first time when we sail on the Vista this December.  I loved your Chef's table pics!  Thank you so much again for sharing your Cuba cruise experience!

P.S.  When we went to the front desk to request a taxi to the port, the front desk offered up their shuttle van for free.  My husband and I and two other ladies were the only passengers.  Cherry on top!!

Edited by Amadawn1
Add information

50 minutes ago, Amadawn1 said:

Thanks so much for your wonderful review!  I really enjoyed reading it and your photos are fantastic.  We also stayed in Ybor City in 2017 before taking a NCL cruise.  I'm big on Hilton properties, and picked the Hilton Garden Inn.  It was great.  Super clean property, nice pool and the usual nice HGI rooms.  One night we did happy hour out on one of the patios, and the bartender gave us outstanding service.  He would take our drink orders outside and also deliver them out there.  After awhile, he asked if we were hungry and brought out menus just in case.  Well, we ended up eating there and the food was good.  The bartender also did double duty as our server.  The HGI was really worth the extra $$.  There is also a liquor store about a block and a half from that hotel, and it felt very safe walking over there (daytime).  By the way, not sure if they had it when you booked your Cuba cruise.  But if you have any current Carnival cruises booked, they now offer the Chef's table booking on the specialty dining reservations on the website when you go to your booking.  When you submit the request, you receive an email confirmation within a week or two.  I'm really excited to try their Chef's table for the first time when we sail on the Vista this December.  I loved your Chef's table pics!  Thank you so much again for sharing your Cuba cruise experience!

P.S.  When we went to the front desk to request a taxi to the port, the front desk offered up their shuttle van for free.  My husband and I and two other ladies were the only passengers.  Cherry on top!!

Thanks for your feedback! 

If we cruise from Tampa again, we will definitely look harder at the Hilton Garden. I use pretty much exclusively Hilton properties too as that is who we use usually thru my work. Sounds like they gave you the royal treatment! We could have used the free hotel shuttle from the Hampton if we wanted to, but for the small price it was worth it to use Lyft and go exactly when we wanted to. There’s. I thing I hate more than being squished into a full shuttle bus! I think I’m a little pampered from my work travels. Lol 

i dont think when we booked the chef’s table that the reserve option was available thru the website. Maybe that will help them keep better track of bookings. It sounds like the same thing happened to another couple from the other cruise group page I was on for our sailing. You will certainly enjoy it when you do it on the Vista! 

6 minutes ago, MistyRo76 said:

Thanks for your feedback! 

If we cruise from Tampa again, we will definitely look harder at the Hilton Garden. I use pretty much exclusively Hilton properties too as that is who we use usually thru my work. Sounds like they gave you the royal treatment! We could have used the free hotel shuttle from the Hampton if we wanted to, but for the small price it was worth it to use Lyft and go exactly when we wanted to. There’s. I thing I hate more than being squished into a full shuttle bus! I think I’m a little pampered from my work travels. Lol 

i dont think when we booked the chef’s table that the reserve option was available thru the website. Maybe that will help them keep better track of bookings. It sounds like the same thing happened to another couple from the other cruise group page I was on for our sailing. You will certainly enjoy it when you do it on the Vista! 

I hear ya on those hotel shuttle buses.  I normally won't ever use them.  We just lucked out in Tampa.  I've had an Uber account since that time and loved using it pre/post cruise in New Orleans and Ft. Lauderdale.  Convenient when planning a night out locally as well when we intend to partake in adult beverages!  

5 minutes ago, Amadawn1 said:

I hear ya on those hotel shuttle buses.  I normally won't ever use them.  We just lucked out in Tampa.  I've had an Uber account since that time and loved using it pre/post cruise in New Orleans and Ft. Lauderdale.  Convenient when planning a night out locally as well when we intend to partake in adult beverages!  

This was our first time usin Lyft for our cruise vacations. The last two times we cruised, we had the toddler in tow so we had to set up private transportation that could private a car seat for her. But I loved using it this time! Especially going to our home airport - no schlepping bags on and off the long term shuttle, drop off right at the door, no waiting! So great! And the price can’t really be beaten either! We’ll definitely do it again esp. once the little one is out of a car seat! 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 9:00 PM, MistyRo76 said:

Well, gang! I think that’s mostly it for now (other than our professions tour photos). So ill be signing off here...but will definitely check back to answer any questions that people may have about the ship, Port of Tampa or the itinerary. Hope you enjoyed reading along as much as I enjoyed reliving our vacation! 

Thanks for reading! 

Great review, thanks so much for sharing!