Eat and drink in Belize?

Indianamale

Which port are you going to?  Belize City or Harvest Caye.

For Belize City, at the tender pier is the Wet Lizard.  Good conch fritters, meat pies, Belizean beer.  Just outside the tender pier is the Smokey Mermaid. Up a little ways are Annie's Lunchbox and  Nerie's, both great local cuisine.  And a short taxi ride away is Bird's Isle with umbrella drinks and good seafood.

If on NCL and going to Harvest Caye, catch a ferry to Placenia and head for Barefoot Bar or De Tatch.  Maya Beach Hotel and Dawn's Grill also get good reviews, a bit more expensive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I vote for Wet Lizard! We have been there multiple times and always came away having eaten tasty food.

Wet Lizard has an upstairs restaurant, so if you keep your eye on the upper level, you cannot miss it. There is not too much on the second level of most of the port stores. There is also another on the pier level right across from the upstairs restaurant. We like to walk upstairs and get a table overlooking the crowds. Love their conch or shrimp ceviche! Anything else on their menu is also good. Service is always friendly.

• 9 months later...
On 3/28/2019 at 6:53 PM, Loucat said:

I vote for Wet Lizard! We have been there multiple times and always came away having eaten tasty food.

Wet Lizard has an upstairs restaurant, so if you keep your eye on the upper level, you cannot miss it. There is not too much on the second level of most of the port stores. There is also another on the pier level right across from the upstairs restaurant. We like to walk upstairs and get a table overlooking the crowds. Love their conch or shrimp ceviche! Anything else on their menu is also good. Service is always friendly.

Is stairs the only option to get to the upstairs restaurant?

SweetPea0517- Yes, the only way to reach the upstairs restaurant is by stairway. One stairway is right off the walkway. It is a bit steep but has railings. You can also opt for the waterfront lower level restaurant. Just walk right in. It has a sign "Husband Day Care Center". You cannot miss the Wet Lizard either way. Hope you enjoy!

Don't be afraid to leave the tourist pier in Belize City. The cruiselines want you to be so you'll spend money inside! Yes, if you walk in town you will be approached by locals trying to sell you things - like most places in the Caribbean - but a pleasant "no, thank you" will suffice. I've found the Belizean people to be some of the friendliest in the Caribbean, and English is the official language since Belize used to be British Honduras.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I give you much credit for walking into town without a tour agent arranged event. Yes, the people are friendly, but it is concerning when you are surrounded by many asking you for money or trying to sell tours, trinkets etc. They follow you along the way to the town. We said never again. That makes me sad as these people are only hoping to make a living but I feel intimidated by so many surrounding us. You can say "no thank you" and they respect that but the number and frequency of saying "no thank you" is not what I am looking for in a port.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2019 at 7:53 PM, Loucat said:

I also vote for Wet Lizard.  We had the coconut shrimp - I don't think I've ever had better.  Yum!

• 10 months later...
On 3/18/2019 at 12:56 PM, Indianamale said:

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a place to have a few drinks and appetizers while we're in Belize? 

Whenever we are in Belize we make time for a visit to the Wet Lizard. Enjoy those Beliken beers looking out over the dock from the second floor.