Pursuit's recent voyage to Antarctica

cruisercon

Photos from the Pursuit’s recent voyage to Antarctica can be seen at our website:

www.dickseebachphotography.smugmug.com. Click on Galleries.  Scroll down to Antarctic.

We booked this cruise when it was announced as Azamara had not gone to Antarctica in a while and it was a cruise we had wanted to do. When they announced Captain Carl would be at the helm we were delighted as friends had sailed with him previously to Antarctica and he supposedly was dogged in making sure his passengers saw the sights.  He didn’t disappoint on this cruise, even being out on deck in the middle of the night for the viewing of the eclipse.

Feel free to browse our other adventures.  You will notice we were on Pursuit’s maiden voyage to Norway.  We had a wonderful time although, being a maiden voyage, we anticipated some glitches – most of which were remedied before we came back on January 6th. I wouldn’t say all were corrected, as noted here on this board, but we attributed most of them to the sudden departure of the food and beverage director.  All in all, we had a wonderful cruise and will be back on board next year in South Africa.  Hopefully, we will have wonderful photos to post.

Pre-cruise we went to Iguazu Falls, which we highly recommend.  Note the video which captures the grandeur and power of the Falls.

Happy sailing.

Connie and Dick

18 hours ago, kayakcove said:

Thanks, the pictures are GREAT.  I have considered cruising in that area but wondered what you really get to see from the ship if you did not do an expedition sailing going ashore. I may need to broaden my thinking.  

I did a lot of research before deciding on a sail by cruise as compared to an expedition.  The advantage of a sail by is you get more opportunities to see things.  With an expedition, you are in the anchored spot for a set period of time.  With our cruise, Captain Carl was able to move the ship around, depending on the conditions to see as much as possible.

We passed Hurtigruten which was anchored in a cove (saw the pax on shore looking at the penguins) while we saw the same penguins from the ship.  I am not denigrating an expedition cruise, but I decided a sail by was right for us.  And we were not disappointed.

18 hours ago, kayakcove said:

You got me excited and went to look at January 2020 and found only three Club Continent suites left. 

When we upgraded to our Club Continent suite, there were only two available; more opened up as time went by.

We have sailed all categories on Azamara (except inside) due to availability when booking.  I have enjoyed cruises in an OV as much as a veranda.

However, for this cruise, due to the amount of time onboard, I felt the Club Continent suite was perfect.  For example, there would be time between locations as Captain Carl would sail from place to place - perfect opportunity to go back to the suite.

Also, my husband was able to have the space to start reviewing photos as he took them.

I think we would be fine in a veranda, but i thought the price difference from Veranda to Club Continent was reasonable particularly considering the total number of days and multiple sea days. This is only making decisions harder, I was going back and forth between river cruises on Mekong or upper Amazon in Peru for that time next year.  We will be B2B sailing on Pursuit in last half of May on second part will bump up to Explorer.  Will check and see what on board booking options look like.