Cruising Iberian Peninsula September 06

marise

Hello, We are hoping to take the Legend out of Southampton on it's Iberian Peninsula cruise and I have been warned that the weather in that area (English Channel) could be nasty at that time (Sept.30th). Has anyone done this cruise before, and if so, at that particular time of year. I would love to hear your experiences of what to expect in the way of weather and the ports in general.

Thanks for any, and all comments.

Marise

I haven't done this route, but am doing the reverse in June, on RSSC Voyager. Nice, Malaga, Lisbon, Vigo/Coruna, Santander, Bordeaux, Honfleur, Dover. Also interested to hear about favourite port activities.

This is much more "sea" that I have experienced before. Even in June I would imagine that we could get some real weather. I'm definitely going to take my Bonine with me!

One of the ship's excursions is a trip to Santiago de Compostela for the day, while the ship moves from Vigo to Coruna. Really looking forward to this one, if I can afford the price! I'm sure you will get some tips from me and others when we return.

Thank you for replying Wendy, and I will look fwd to your account of your trip. I am amazed that no one else seems to have done this cruise. Am just wondering if perhaps this is a new route?! I think I will also post on the Roll Calls board and see if I get any response there. We have a couple of additional stops at Peter Port and Gibralter as well, it being an 11 day cruise. I myself really enjoy sea days and we will only have two on this cruise. Haven't booked the cruise yet, because am deathly afraid of rough seas, so am anxious to find out what the weather is typically like in those parts at that time. Hope someone else who has travelled that particular area at that particular time, will help.

Thanks for letting me vent!

marise

Marise,

The seas from Southampton across the Bay of Biscay to Northern Spain and down to Gibraltar are pretty unpredictable at most times of the year. We sailed Cunard's Caronia a year or two back in late October, and experienced 24 hours of severe gale force 9 with 25 to 30 ft waves, but my parents have done the same crossing at the same time of year and it was as flat as the proverbial mill pond - it seems you just can't tell.

You don't list all your ports of call, but I would say that if Cadiz is one of them, do the walking tour if it's offered.

Hope this helps,

Richard

We have done this journey through the Bay many , many times and have always been fine with it. The summer months are usually troublefree - but as with anywhere (even the Med believe it or not) you can get it rough at any time. You would have to be pretty unlucky to get it really bad. We are going at the end of March so will see how it goes. It's certainly not a new route - nearly all of the P & O ships travel through the Bay and I wouldn't let it put you off booking a holiday to/from Southampton.

Marge M

Thank you so much for your responses, Marge and Richard. Like I said, I am a huge chicken when it comes to rough seas. We have had 8 cruises so far (Caribbean/Alaska/Panama Canal/Med) and NEVER ever had rough seas, so am quite worried about "chancing it" on this cruise. Richard, our ports would be Vigo, Malaga and Bilbao in Spain, Lisbon in Portugal, La Rochelle in France, Gibraltar, U.K. and Peter Port, Channel Islands.

So Sept/Oct must be the 'iffy' weather months, altho' by the prices I would not say it is low season.

Any other experiences out there of cruising this area at this time???

marise

Marise,

Maybe it's because this route is considered a "re-positioning cruise" between the Baltic and the Med. I know when I mentioned this cruise to the captain of another ship in the same line, he just sniffed and said that it was a repo cruise. But then he was from the Mediterranean (Croatia I think) and was partisan.

It's definitely more "sea" than some other routes. But after 35 days of cruising and no seasickness, I'm game to try. If I can do this route, then I could think about trying a crossing some day.

We sailed a very similar route last September on Marco Polo, leaving on the 18th returning on the 30th. We did Dover to Amsterdam, Le Havre (2 days) Brest, La Rochelle, Porto, Lisbon (2 days) Cadiz, finishing in Barcelona.

I am also prone to sea sickness and very aware of any hint of swell which sends me running for seasick pills.

In my estimation, the Bay of Biscay had a slight swell. I popped a pill at the first hint of motion and was fine. Some didnt notice the swell at all, others thought it "rough". Go figure.

The weather was glorious throughout with the exception of Le Havre which is prone to sea mist/fog which meant that Honfleur on the coast was drizzly. Inland from there it was fine and sunny (we went to Rouen). The weather just got warmer and warmer the further south we headed with temperatures actually too high for our comfort in the Cadiz area. We had headed inland to Jerez de la Frontera and it was 38 degrees CENTIGRADE, dropping to 31 as we returned to Cadiz on the coast.

Its a lovely itinerary and although some lines do have repositioning cruises which call into some of these ports on their way across, the Iberian peninsula is actually a destination in its own right and several lines run cruises there. P and O in particular feature these regularly and so do others. It can be much too hot in summer in Southern Spain and Portugal and October should be pleasantly warm.

I'm sure you will have a lovely time. Just pop a pill or 2 as you reach the Bay of Biscay. The Captain should announce how rough or otherwise its expected be ( at least the Marco Polo Captain did)

Edinburgher, thank you so much for your reply and the information about your experiences. I am just trying to reassure myself that it will be fine. I am really looking fwd to doing this cruise, and your assurances do help.

Actually, we will be spending 2 weeks in North Berwick and hope to take a train down to Southampton and catch the cruise from there. It is all very exciting, and I can't wait to get the process started!

marise

• 3 months later...

We are on a Celebrity cruise in April, 2007 which includes a stop at La Rochelle, France. I can find very, very little about this port or its sights on these boards. Has anyone on this thread been able to find information regarding tours, sights, transportation, etc.?

Thanks for any input:rolleyes:

Marise,

My DW and I are booked on the Legend on 30 Sept. I agree the it is pot luck with the weather and sea conditions, but I am happy to risk it!

Also if you are staying at North Berwick , you may want to consider flying to Southampton from Edinburgh. It is costing us about £80 (return) each to fly British Airways. I do not think this would be any less by train which I am sure would involve a change in London or somewhere.

http://www.ba.com

or you could try

http://www.flybe.com

5 days to the Voyager- Yipeeeeeee!

Scottie99, so glad to hear you are cruising with us. Why not sign in to our thread on the Roll Calls board?

With regards to flying, the whole idea of taking a train is because my husband and I love travelling by train and taking in the "countryside". I have been given some very helpful advice about a train that goes DIRECTLY from Edinburgh to Sounthampton. Of course, we are definitely considering a flight back. We don't need to see the countryside TWICE!!!

Will you be going down a day earlier too? Have you any suggestions for good accomodations in Southampton?

marise

No we are flying down on the morning of the cruise. The general opinion is that the De Vere Hotel is the best in Southampton, I think I have read they do a special reate for cruise passengers.

There is currently a thread about Southampton hotels on the Britain board.

No we are flying down on the morning of the cruise. The general opinion is that the De Vere Hotel is the best in Southampton, I think I have read they do a special reate for cruise passengers.

There is currently a thread about Southampton hotels on the Britain board.

Thanks a bunch! I will check it out. Am in the throes of "Graduating" my son (tomorrow) so will write more, once this weekend is done!

marise

• 1 month later...

There are not fixed rules for the weather in the Northwest of Spain. September is still a mild time, but not warm. It´s a rainny part so bring an umbrella. It´s not the time for rough storms in the sea but the Atlantic Coast could offer swinging at any time. Specially getting off Vigo and entering La Coruña.

Thanks Keltic, I am getting the idea that weather is unpredictable at the best of times, so layered clothing would probably work best.

Do you have any must-see suggestions for my ports of call, in particular Vigo, Malaga and Bilbao?

Any other advice?

marise

Marise,

From Malaga we are planning to see the Alhambra in Granada...the major problem is finding a private guide there. We are also visiting Vigo and would love to get to Santiago de Compostela. If anyone has any information about these two ports and a private guide or two I would apprecaite the information

Karen

Queenk2@aol.com[/email]

Thanks Keltic, I am getting the idea that weather is unpredictable at the best of times, so layered clothing would probably work best.

Do you have any must-see suggestions for my ports of call, in particular Vigo, Malaga and Bilbao?

Any other advice?

marise

I don´t know what excursion you´ll be offered, or if you want to book a private tour. Well, in Vigo, come to Santiago de Compostela. It´s a place stopped in time. Going back to the medieval times, remain the same. And easy to reach by train from Vigo. Alternatively, the Islas Cies is a nice place. In the entrance of the bay, these islands remain pristine and with no people or builings. Beaches, nature.....you can reach there in boats leaving from the harbour, next to the ship. Then Pontevedra at only 25 km is also a beautiful medieval city. Not as impressive as Santiago, but probably more tradicional

Then the neighbouring Portugal is very nice.

Malaga. The city itself is not particularly interesting. The ships dock not really close the city centre, but there´s a shuttle. Go up the Arab castle, get into the cathedral and have some tapas at the old town. Excursions.....Marbella as a posh but tradicional old village which has turned into an exclusive resort, and Granada, probably the finest in Andalucia. You could be ofered Ronda, or the White Villages of Malaga

Bilbao. Cosy but not particularly nice. Santurce Port is very far from the centre. While there the Guggenheim is a must, walk to the old time, cross the main bridge. The view of the river, the main city theatre is really nice. The old town is quite charming. Excursions....if possible San Sebastian. The most beautiful city in the north of Spain. Trains leave from the city centre and it takes about an hour to get there.

Archived